U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:46 PM

5 posts, read 16,141 times

Advertisements

This week my 14 year old son was brutally assaulted in the classroom in front of the teacher and His class mates. He was playing with a encased calculator when the device slipped out of the case and hit the boy next to Him, Who, in a fit of rage proceeded to punch my son several times in the head as He sat in his seat.
I was called by the Principal and informed that my son was beat up and did I want to come and get Him. I went directly to the school and then brought my son to the hospital for examination and xrays.
I called the Police that evening to ask what my options were and found that I could press charges for assault by getting the incident report from the school Officer and bringing it to the court house.
The next morning I went to the school to get the IR and was puzzled to find that one was never written. The Officer their said it was up to Her discretion on whether or not to fill one out. She also said that since He was not bleeding or removed by an ambulance she did not think it needed to be done. ( So, I guess she has extensive medical training and can determine if there is internal bleeding at a glance or closed head injury or concusion)
I immediately stated that I wanted to press charges against the boy and how could I do this without a Incident report. She stated, just go to the court house and file a report. I said, OK, against whom? She said, I can't give you that information, but they can call Me. She then gave me her name.
When I got to the court house and explained my situation they said that I needed my son their in order to file a complaint and that they would call the officer for details.
I came back later with my son and filed an assault charge against the boy.
I could find no information on the web on how to deal with this kind of issue and after the hoops I was made to go through came to the conclusion that I must be the first parent to ever file an assault charge against a minor for in school brutality.
Hopefully this can help other parents that may find themselves in the same situation some day. If everone looks the other way then the message to the bully is , Well, its OK, and He or She will continue untill they fatally hurt someone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 03:57 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,489,085 times
Okay. So the assault charge has been filed? Good.

Call the district attorney's office, also, to make sure there is follow through. Explain that you could not get an incident report. I would lean on the school, too, and tell them you have hired an attorney. An incident occurred, and by law they have to file a report. Explain that you will sue if your child is not secure in their public school. He has the right to be safe. Be level-headed but firm. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, consult an attorney, who will do it. It is free for a consultation.

Where the heck did this occur? What county?

I hope your child is okay, and I am very sorry.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:53 PM

7,280 posts, read 19,971,998 times
That is awful! What school did this happen in? In my sons East TN schools, they fill out incident reports for EVERYTHING. I hope you son will be OK? Did the hospital find anything? Please keep us informed. I sure hope you get that resolved and the bully removed from your sons class room. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Assault in East TN

The assault happened in Wilson County at a Lebanon City School Walter J Baird.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:12 PM

12,780 posts, read 35,940,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldra View Post
The assault happened in Wilson County at a Lebanon City School Walter J Baird.
I sure hope you can get some justice! What happened to your son is inexcusable. Where was the teacher during all this?

But FYI: Lebanon is not in East Tennessee, it's in Middle Tennessee.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 PM

You are right, I am in Middle ,TN east of Nashville. My son is doing well physically but is afraid of going back to school. This has been a blow to Him emotionally as well.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:01 AM

17,660 posts, read 17,161,542 times
donaldra, I'll say a prayer for your son. Did you speak to the other boy's parents? Please keep us up to date. No student should have to go through what your son went through.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:27 AM

52 posts, read 270,310 times
Default Walk a mile in his shoes

You have a dilemma on your hands. On one hand you want press charges for the principal of it. But on the other hand you are making it hard on your son to put this behind him. Remember, he is 14 and the reputation with his peers is very important. Yes he was wronged, yes this should not be tolerated but I would proceed with caution, you may be making things worse for him. From the description of the incident, it does not sound like the teacher just sat back and watched. Lets face it, if the student stood up and started swinging at your son, how many blows could he let go before anyone could stop him? Unless you have eyewitness accounts of the incident, I would not jump to the conclusion the teacher “let this happen”.

I myself am not a violent person, but I even had a couple of fights in school when I was young. No they were not bad schools, things like this just happen. It is important on how you handle this as to how your son get through this ordeal. I suggest you seek justice but try and keep it as low key as possible for your son’s sake.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:22 AM

94 posts, read 365,788 times
Default More advice

I'm an ex-cop that can't believe that the school resource officer didn't file an incident report. It is absolutely ridiculous to think that none of this was documented. I wouldn't let this go--Call the officer's supervisor and file a formal complaint.

School bullying is a serious matter and there needs to be a paper trail to document even the "incidents" that may seem minor. The idea here is to look for a trend and this would help identify "problem children".

Here's a couple of questions I have:

1. Was a school nurse available and did he/she exam your son?

2. Where was the teacher during all of this?

3. Has the attacker been removed from class? (perhaps alternative schooling)

You may well be the very first parent to file charges--people do let things like this go--I want to commend you for being a very protective and proactive parent.

Finally I just want to say that I hope your son is O.K and everything works out for him. Give him a great big hug and tell him we all love him and want him to be safe. Kerry

Old 02-09-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Update

I talked to the SRO supervisor today and He assured Me that He never told the SRO that it was up to Her if an Incident Report was to be written or not. So she lied to Me. He called Her and she stated that She was confused as what report I was asking for and that she would have a report ready for Me today (3 days later). Interestingly enough My Wife sent a e-mail the same morning of the incident to the SRO asking for a incident report and there was no reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee