Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:10 AM

393 posts, read 1,881,167 times

Advertisements

I started out researching.....CO, ID, and OR and now I am looking into KY, and TN.......? I don't get why everything is still affordable there in KY, and TN compared to those other areas. Isn't KY and TN just as beautiful? Is it the weather? the diversity? hhhhhhhmmm
If anyone can explain this, please do!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 05:33 AM

3 posts, read 9,035 times
I can only speak for TN, but it may be because it is "hicksville". Moving there is like reverting 50 years in time...seriously.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:31 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
Ah Poodie! Where are you located? That does not sound like the TN I hang out in Sure we still have some throwbacks around but other than that we are doing pretty darn good.

Sillygal, you are right. Compared to other areas, things are downright cheap here. Housing, utilities, you name it. Some complain about the lack of jobs but I have never had an issue getting one that could pay the bills and support my family. The weather can also be an issue for some. It is HUMID HUMID HUMID here but you get used to it. I came home from a stay in Oregon and when the plane landed and opened it's doors I felt like I was suffocating! LOL Winters are relatively mild w/major snow storms about every 10 years. We have BIG money here and poor ppl too. Diversity YES. Black, white, brown we've got that covered as well. Why is it cheap? It's all relative I suppose but that's a good question.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:58 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Generally the entire southeast is cheaper than anywhere out west or the northeast. I'm sure you'd find the same story in the heartland from ND down to TX if you looked there. Generally though, the heavier the population, the more prices on EVERYTHING is inflated. Just look at Florida. Its in the southeast also, but due to the influx of northerners, inflation is obvious there in taxes, housing, dining, shopping, etc.

TN is beatiful. Yes there are plenty of people that are behind the times here, but there are plenty that are well up to date on everything also. The thing I think makes Tennessee so beautiful is that the social classes tend to mix a lot more here rather than trying to seperate into their own little sections. When I lived in Plano (north Dallas) the socio-economic lines were drawn very obviously by the main roads. I like the fact TN is more mixed together.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:01 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodie22 View Post
I can only speak for TN, but it may be because it is "hicksville". Moving there is like reverting 50 years in time...seriously.
Help me understand what a hick is and why being a hick is bad.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
There is a corelation between good paying jobs and high housing costs in most parts of the country. That doesn't play out in Florida because there were tons of retirees that moved there and didn't care about the job market. Hence, the market went sky high. But in most places, the higher the housing cost the higher paying the jobs.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:26 PM

81 posts, read 469,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodie22 View Post
Moving there is like reverting 50 years in time...seriously.
That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. How I long for good old 1956.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:32 PM

Me, too! If you find 1956, let me know.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:54 PM

5 posts, read 20,406 times
We moved to Nashville TN in 2000 and we were stationed there for 4 years. I found the people to be really wonderful. There are ALOT of transplants in Nashville most of the people we knew weren't from nashville or tennessee originally. there is no state income tax but the sales tax is killer. we used to drive to kentucky to buy food from the commissary to escape the taxes. as far as the hicks are concerned--there are hicks everywhere even nj and ny--and you know what? that's a good thing diversity is a good thing. now as for those who long for 1956...well i guess that it's based on your vantage point. i'm glad it's not 1956. i personally don't think separate bathrooms and sitting in the back of the bus was good for anybody.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:01 PM

I agree. I want 1956, except for that one thing. And it is a BIG thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee