Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

I hope you can come back soon, Destiny. Knoxville is one of the few places I have seen where people seem to get along. Just last week I heard a good old boy say to his friend that he was so impressed with Hispanic's worth ethic. Good for him. People over in East Tennessee tend to give people a chance and see what you are all about. It was never a plantation place where people had slaves. East Tennesseans were poor and worked for a living and understood other's plight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny122010 View Post
I live just outside of Nashville in Mt Juliet and I'm from Knoxville. I am African American and I must say me and my children have been made far more aware of our race in Middle Tn than I was growing up in East Tn in the 70's and 80's. After the election my children actually witness children tying nooses and it was supposed to be a joke. I have consistently taught my children to see people not race but it is getting increasingly difficult. We are looking at moving back to Knoxville as Middle Tn unfortunately is turning out to be a nightmare.
I lived in Knoxville and Nashville in the late 1970s and 1980s, and my in laws live in Jackson. I have to agree with Destiny and I'll add a bit to it--the further west you go in Tennessee, the more racist it is. I really loved Knoxville and could have lived there forever, but, man, it's a different world in the rest of the state. I'll never forget riding the bus to school at Father Ryan (Catholic high school in Nashville) and hearing all the racial jokes. I couldn't believe we were on our way to a Christian school! And west Tennessee is worse.

Not that you might run into things necessarily on the surface, but it's there.

I hope, Destiny, you got back to Knoxville!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:12 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RommelDAK View Post
I lived in Knoxville and Nashville in the late 1970s and 1980s, and my in laws live in Jackson. I have to agree with Destiny and I'll add a bit to it--the further west you go in Tennessee, the more racist it is. I really loved Knoxville and could have lived there forever, but, man, it's a different world in the rest of the state. I'll never forget riding the bus to school at Father Ryan (Catholic high school in Nashville) and hearing all the racial jokes. I couldn't believe we were on our way to a Christian school! And west Tennessee is worse.

Not that you might run into things necessarily on the surface, but it's there.

I hope, Destiny, you got back to Knoxville!
A lot has changed since the 70s and 80s. It's certainly not perfect now, but I can definitely see a difference over the past couple of decades.

I actually went to Father Ryan...and while FR isn't a very diverse school at all, racism didn't seem to be an issue. Since diversity and equality have become almost obsessive from an image standpoint, I would bet any kids who engaged in racist behavior or actions would be expelled. Even so, I detected no underlying animosity or resentment between whites and minorities when I was in school.

As for East Tennessee being less racist, and West Tennessee (and progressively western) being more racist, I think it's more of a location by location thing. East Tennessee has never had a high black population, and was the pro-abolition/pro-Union side of Tennessee during the Civil War...so that region in turn had fewer racial issues during the war, and afterwards during the Reconstruction and the era of Jim Crow laws. I think the mindset of the natives is somewhat different than it is elsewhere in the state...it's certainly not free from racism, or the more backhanded, underlying variety...but in general there hasn't been as much racial strife. Also, with a very low black population, it's a lot harder for the stereotypical "black thug" image to be conceived as a threat, when most areas in East Tennessee are upwards of 90% white (outside of Chattanooga, and to a lesser extent, Knoxville, of course).

Middle, and especially West Tennessee have higher concentrations of blacks (and Nashville and Memphis have higher numbers of other minorities), and more of a history of racial issues. Some continue to this day, but I think there has been an across the board improvement from the days you are talking about in the 70s and 80s. Forced desegregation and the Civil Rights movement were still fresh on people's minds in the 70s...that has somewhat become the norm. There are still some issues as far as segregated parts of town, but there is much more natural integration than there used to be. Memphis still seems to have a bit of a racial relations problem, but I think a large part of that can be attributed to some of the black politicians who have been in power for the past while (namely mayor Herenton). Their current mayor (who is also black), AC Wharton, seems to be more level headed, and I think there is a good chance things will improve in the next few years with some positive leadership.

There is still some work that needs to be done to improve race relations within the state, but I think that Tennessee isn't as backwards as some people would make you think.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 8,712 times
Yes, down here in the south we all have no teeth and marry sisters. Oh and if your are not white...uh oh...
But seriously though you really should not have much of a problem in bigger cities.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:34 AM

230 posts, read 553,295 times
These threads (and frankly the mindset) always strike me as funny. Hardly anyone can or will refuse a smile, firm handshake and a kind word. The sort of "hue based racism" I'm guessing you're afraid of, just doesn't exist anymore in any amount that anyone should be concerned about.

However, if you're a dick (speaking in general terms here, not AT you), your differences will most likely be one of the first things noted as it's the easiest of targets/explanations for the offended party to rationalize. This is a universal trait among all races/humans and is not exclusive to any one race.

Be kind. Fit in. Don't be a dick. These things will allow you to live a happy and healthy life in most of the world.

Be grating. Be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. Act as if people need to accept you instead of you accepting them. You're gonna have a rough time of it no matter where you breath your air.

Last edited by Beretta; 04-24-2011 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: fixed typos for op

Old 03-18-2014, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,045 times
It seems that everyone is saying, 'as long as you are this and that you should be fine'---which is like saying as long as you are a perfectly un-annoying minority then you shouldn't be bothered. That's ridiculous. My suggestion would be to take a vacation or several weekends there before you decide. Visit the campus then journey outside of the campus. Moving is a big choice. This way you can decide first hand. Racism is everywhere, find your tolerable level. Sad, but true.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooeyGooey View Post
Yes, down here in the south we all have no teeth and marry sisters. Oh and if your are not white...uh oh...
But seriously though you really should not have much of a problem in bigger cities.
LOL. your nick is even funnier. looey gooey? haha.

now seriously, the best recommendation comes by fact ted deer. go and vacation there and try to behave like you normally would. frequent restaurants, shopping, etc. go to community events, etc. that will give you the best taste of the real thing even though a simulation is usually like 20% of the actual experience. like the nerf toy guns ad say, it's nerf... or nothin'. in your case, it's simulation or nothin'

i actually get a kick out of watching these guys on youtube. not sure which state the guy is from but i learn a bit from redneck culture:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Luna7ick

Old 04-02-2014, 07:44 PM

231 posts, read 595,549 times
Default racism in Nashville, Knoxville

If you're worried about it, maybe you should consider another locale.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
For what it's worth, east Tennessee (including Knoxville) is about as non-southern as you can get in the south (not including the portion of Florida known as "New York South"). That area even tried to secede from the rest of TN when TN seceded from the union during the civil war. The area has a history of multi-racial parings going back for centuries (see Melungeon, plus a history of white/native marriages back before the Trail of Tears).

That and in spite of what you hear on some media outlets, the Jim Crow era is long over. If I were a minority I'd be more fearful in rural Vermont (over 95% white) than in rural Tennessee.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:23 PM

10 posts, read 29,787 times
I'm going to have to disagree with the others who think East TN is less racist and "redneck" than other parts of the state. I've lived in both East TN (Knoxville) and Middle (Nashville). I couldn't tell you how many Confederate flags I would see around East TN, ugh. Nashville is more urban, liberal and thus more accepting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee