Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 06:15 PM

22 posts, read 114,051 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me stuff about Westmoreland,TN...how the people are,schools, hunting, and also looking for pictures of Wetsmoreland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,441 times
Default Information

Westmoreland is a very small city. You dont have a big grocery store or a fancy reataurant. You have what you need to live in such a small city I guess ya can say. I go to a WEstmoreland School and I think its great. I'm not sure about the hunting because I dont go hunting but wehave woods surrounding our house and its gorgeous. I hope you learned something. If you have anymore questions please ask them on this website and I will check on this website frequently and try to stay posted.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:55 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
If your used to hunting on public land in Ill. You will be in for a super suprise here. Most the public land is very regulated and over hunted. Not to say that there aren't animals. Just hard to find a good spot. LOTS of people out there wanting the same things. Leasing land to hunt on is expensive. I asked over 91 people last summer into fall for permission to hunt. In four counties. I found no one wanted to allow it. I got varied answers and rants by land owners. I am from wyoming so I had a abundance of public land. Here it's a joke.
You can't just go shoot your guns somewhere either. On public land it's almost forbidden. I hear there are some places but I haven't found any close by. I have a public gun range about 38 miles from my house. I can pay for two hours rental of a range to shoot. If no one is in line to shoot behind me. I can pay for two more. The only open gun range I have close to me is in a national forest. It is about 88 miles away. It dosn't have a pay price just a 3 to 5 hour drive depending on traffic. And hopefully no one there is shooting up the place when I get there.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Shadowwalker:
I don't know where you live, but where I live people are up on the mountain behind my house hunting all the time. It's not a big deal. It has to be where you live.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:30 AM

Hik, Is this public land or a private mountain? Is is around westmoreland? Just wanting to know.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:46 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
No. It is not public land. It is near Knoxville but out in the country. No one asks for permission out here, they just hunt.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 15,457 times
Default westmorland tn

Shadowalker, I don,t know where you live in westmorland but I can tell you how it works with getting permission to hunt. I live in lafayette tn which is 15 minutes away from westmorland. It is different here than it was several years ago. Used to everyone hunted where ever they wanted to but now you have to earn the respect from most residents to get permission to hunt. Try being a neighbor and get to know the people around you, most will then give you permission. Yes it is true that you can,t just get your gun and start shooting where ever you want. Would you want just anybody driving around on your property shooting guns and throwing out beer cans? Shooting your livestock, tearing down you fence and letting your cows out? This has not happened to me but it has to a lot of people hear.
I have lived here all my life and have never been refused permission to hunt. I mean, what else would anyone expect? to go where ever they want? Years ago most people were farmers helping each other, this was why nobody had to ask, now it is people coming here from large cities from all parts of the U.S. and won,t even as much as speak to their neighbors.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:10 AM

Sawyer. I do realize all that. And wouldn't do a neighbor like that. I asked over 91 people in three counties about hunting on their land. I was in a clean pickup, clean Levi's, shirt. Shaved, and was polite. I offered to leave a business card with information about where I lived, my phones, ect. I had reponses that ranged from "We don't allow that. To. Get off our land right now!" And everything in between. Now everybody wants you to go to their church. But,NO, your not good enough to hunt their land.
I also know that alot of land owners have had bad experiences with trash, equipment vandalized, livestock hurt or stuff stolen. But, and I mean But. Did the people that did this offer to work off the ability to hunt a deer or two? Or offer personal information on themselves? Offer to only take the deer that the land owner wanted thinned out and give them part of the meat-packaged? NO THE DIDN'T.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 15,457 times
Default hunting

Shadow, to tell you the truth, a lot of these people that doesn,t allow hunting are people that have moved here from other cities or states. Maybe not all but a lot of them. Find yourself one of the old tobacco farmers and ask, chances are he will give you permission. Not many of the old farmers left though.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,177 times
Westmoreland ,utilities,why so high?When i first moved here reps. from the fire dept. knocked on my door twice wanting donations to repair their fire truck,ok simple enough.But after being here a year and paying high utilities and a couple of disputes, it occured to me,all the Westmoreland electric co. and water co. has new trucks ,equip.,......So where does all of westmorelands revenue go?Sure don't go in the schools,or the roads,or anywhere else i can see .This town has not changed in decades,i know,my family has lived here for many years,,,,,so ,long story ,short .Show me something,let me know where or who the money goes too.Because my observation shows me this,"WE CAN CUT YOUR LIGHTS OR WATER ON OR OFF IN A NEW TRUCK IF YOU DON'T OR CAN'T PAY YOUR OVERCHARGED BILL,BUT IF YOUR HOUSE IS BURNING,WITH YOUR KIDS INSIDE,WE HOPE THE FIRETRUCK WILL START"
I think this problem is an internal affair problem,and needs investigated.
So please feel free to reply,,,,,"especially elected officials come on,reply i want to know"
yours truly,
confused citizens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee