Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 09:29 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC38506 View Post
A town like Cookeville, Maryville, Oak Ridge, Morristown would fit your bill. All have populations around 30,000 (give or take a few), are known for good schools, are close to a larger city, and have great family values. It's not been talked about much on this forum, but I really like Morristown. I live in Cookeville and never want to leave , but I always said if I did, I'd want to live in Morristown. Good Republicans, lots of Baptists!
I agree with you about Cookeville, Maryville and Oak Ridge, but definitely not Morristown. It's a very industrial city with lots of Hispanics--over 10% of the city is Hispanic, and that's just the legal population. I'd pick Greeneville over Morristown any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 09:47 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,921 times
Quote:
A town like Cookeville, Maryville, Oak Ridge, Morristown would fit your bill. All have populations around 30,000 (give or take a few), are known for good schools, are close to a larger city, and have great family values. It's not been talked about much on this forum, but I really like Morristown. I live in Cookeville and never want to leave , but I always said if I did, I'd want to live in Morristown. Good Republicans, lots of Baptists!
I thank you for your help, and by chance do you know how far the towns like cookeville ect are from pidgeon forge? Thank you very much...phyl

Old 02-11-2007, 12:54 PM

101 posts, read 356,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Did you check out the city-data.com page for Gainesboro?

I did a quick Google search and found the Jackson County official web site.

//www.city-data.com/city/Gainesboro-Tennessee.html
http://www.jacksonco.com
I did, but statistics are one thing....living there and knowing the place and whats going on there are usually another.

I didn't see many pictures....other than the courthouse and stuff downtown.

What is the climate there like?....some areas in Virginia I'm looking at have the same temperatures as other places, but feel completely different because of the elevation and factors like that...its hard to tell that kind of stuff just from statistics.

How is the crime there?... Good places to eat?.....Any live entertainment?....is there a farmers market, or a place to get organic produce?....where can I go rock climbing there?.......any artists or blacksmiths and stuff in town?.....stuff like that.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
is it a "wet" county?......I can't believe how many dry counties there are around this area.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:00 PM

I'd actually looked at Maryville a little....the area looks pretty, but couldn't find some of the other criteria I mentioned.

Sneedville was mentioned as well.

As far as I know....Greenville, Morristown, and a few others mentioned are in dry counties. .....I'm not a lush...I just enjoy being able to have a glass of wine.....why is this such a crime around there?......geez...

Old 02-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCitySearchName View Post
is it a "wet" county?......I can't believe how many dry counties there are around this area.
Cookeville is in a dry county, but it's about 5 miles from Jackson County (Gainesboro) which is wet. As you can imagine, there are liquor stores right on the county line.

Cookeville does allow liquor by the drink, so it has dozens of restaurants that serve liquor. But if you want a bottle of wine for your home, you drive the 5 or so miles to Jackson County.

You asked earlier if there are any other pics of Gainesboro other than what's on the city-data.com site. I don't know of any. And Gainesboro is really small, a population of fewer than 900, so what you see is pretty much what you get.

The local farmers' market is in Cookeville. And there's a large, organic farm called Peaceful Pastures which delivers organic meats and dairy products (including goat milk) to a small organic grocery store in Cookeville. They also make organic soaps and bath oils made from goat milk.

The Appalachian Center for Crafts, which is run by Tennessee Tech University in Cookeville, is located along the shores of Center Hill Lake in the next county (DeKalb). Cookeville itself has several art galleries, both public and private.

Monterey, which is just east of Cookeville, has a Buddhist retreat, and someone told me once that there's also a writers' colony up there somewhere in the hills.

Gainesboro is a small town with small-town values. You don't go to Gainesboro for a gourmet meal, although you can get really good Southern food there in a few cafes and diners. For live music, you go to Cookeville.

The weather in Gainesboro is typical of that part of Tennessee: warm, humid summers, cool, dry falls, chilly winters (with the occasional frigid cold snap), moist springs.

The pictures you see at city-data.com are pretty much representative of the entire county; it's VERY hilly, and it's probably the reason why Gainesboro never grew. There's just not much flat land there for industry.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Last edited by JMT; 02-11-2007 at 02:24 PM..

Old 02-11-2007, 02:11 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Greeneville is not dry. Have you looked between Greeneville and Johnson City? or in Between Johnson City and Kingsport? They might fit you bill?
Read through several pages back on this TN. There are a lot of explanations of these and other areas and pictures posted too. I took and posted many pictures of the areas above.
Hope that helps.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:41 PM

60 posts, read 308,629 times
As JMT said, Cookeville is a dry county in that there are no liquor stores but we do have liquor by the drink. Some of the restaurants in our town are Outback, O'Charleys, Applebees, Logan's Roadhouse, Ruby Tuesday, Red Lobster, Chili's. Soon to open is a Longhorn Steakhouse and (rumor has it) Olive Garden.

Cookeville is about an hour from Nashville on I-40 and an hour and a half from Knoxville on I-40 east. We usually can get to Pigeon Forge in 2-3 hours, depending on the traffic and whether we go through Knoxville or through Maryville.

Rock climbing? This is a great place for it! Our state parks within an hours drive offer lots of great hiking spots, as does our own little state park, Burgess Falls.

Everyone I've talked to who moves here never wants to leave! It's just a great town with something for everyone! Just this week, Herman Boone (immortalized in the movie ¨Remember the Titans) spoke at Derryberry Hall at the university. The university does add a lot of character to the town and offers lots of opportunities. It's a great place to live!

Old 02-11-2007, 02:44 PM

The more JMT described Cookeville....the more it sounds like I should be looking there.

Sounds nice....I'll take a closer look at it.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCitySearchName View Post
The more JMT described Cookeville....the more it sounds like I should be looking there.

Sounds nice....I'll take a closer look at it.
I sure hope you do take a closer look at it! There are a bunch of us here in this forum who think Cookeville is one of the best towns in the state. I think having a university makes a difference. And if you're looking for a rural atmosphere (without the big-box stores you mentioned in an earlier message) then someplace like Gainesboro or Livingston or Monterey might fit your needs, although I guess Gainesboro would be better since it's got liquor stores.

If you want acreage, the western part of Putnam County is popular. You'll have easy access to Cookeville, the liquor stores in Jackson County, several state parks, a couple of lakes, and you're only an hour from the Nashville airport. Plus, it's just plain old beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee