Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:05 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,085 times

Advertisements

I know I'm biased as I hail from Kentucky, but here it goes. Kentucky has a lower sales tax than Tennessee (6% vs. 9.5% or 10%?). I'm looking to go to college in Tennessee because while it is a change from Kentucky, I won't be experiencing culture shock as I would if I went to say... the west coast? It's a familiar feeling which is why I'm staying relatively close to KY, but going to another state. Tennessee has the mountains, Kentucky has the foothills (sort of like the Piedmont region in Georgia).

I have family in Chattanooga and am quite familiar with the city there and also with Nashville. In Kentucky, I know Lexington, Louisville, and NoKY (Cincinnati suburbs). There is not a lot of difference to me. Tennessee is definitely more of a developed state (though I must say I'm amazed that I-75 remains a 4 lane road between K'ville and Chatt as well as I-65 between Bowling Green and Nashville). I cannot stress this enough: both states are not as backwards as the media seems to portray us (ie- Paula Abdul's "report" on SE Kentucky...).

For the most part, the cost of living isn't so high. You really can't go wrong in either state. I'm from Kentucky so I can give you more info about Lexington-Louisville-Cincinnati or W KY than I can about Chatt or Nashville or Knoxville, etc.

Trying not to be too biased here, but I love Kentucky and while I'm dying to get out for college, it's been a great place to call home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,777 times
I am from Iowa and looking to relocate in Kentucky or Tennessee. I want better weather than the cold and snow we get here. Which state is better? I also want a low cost of living because I have three kids and am single. Also, want low crime area. Is this possible in either of these states?

Old 12-13-2008, 01:48 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,908 times
Steve,
My husband Bill and I are both on a fixed Disability income. We live in Knoxville, Tn. I am originally from upstate NY and Bill was living in Mississippi, while we are not living the high life here in Tn. it is affordable. We rent an apartment by choice because it suits our needs. We didn't find car registration or license renewals expensive here. We don't find groceries a higher cost then we were used to paying. Medically speaking, Knoxville has a great medical community.
Best of luck to you in your search,
Pam

Old 12-14-2008, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 20,702 times
Thanks Pam,

As I've found out, and probably known all along, there are good things and not so good about both states.

My wife is probably going to have to get a job, so that will probably be the determining factor on where we end up.

I might be traveling down over the winter with a friend, so I can do a little more checking around. I really want to thank everyone that has taken the time to reply.

Steve

Old 12-15-2008, 06:57 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorFrontiers View Post
Thanks Pam,

As I've found out, and probably known all along, there are good things and not so good about both states.

My wife is probably going to have to get a job, so that will probably be the determining factor on where we end up.

I might be traveling down over the winter with a friend, so I can do a little more checking around. I really want to thank everyone that has taken the time to reply.

Steve
Steve--Please bring some REAL bratwurst and some ice cold Leininkugles beer with you! PLEASE?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:09 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Steve--Please bring some REAL bratwurst and some ice cold Leininkugles beer with you! PLEASE?
You might contact DET Distributors in Nashville. I believe they carry Leinenkugel's.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:45 AM

6 posts, read 20,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
LOL, if I do come down, I'll let you know. Maybe we can get together and talk about the area...

Steve

Old 01-05-2009, 07:09 AM

10 posts, read 31,207 times
If you are trying to figure out what State, it is Decatur, TN, Meigs County. We are about half way between Chattanooga and Knoxville boardering the Tennessee River

Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 22,773 times
I just happened to stumble upon this discussion forum and I had to stop what I was searching for and read all the postings as my husband and I are trying to determine exactly the same thing: KY or TN for retirement??? We live in the Metro Detroit area (closer to Ann Arbor) and have had it with the God-awful winters, failed economy, foundering home values, etc. We've got the freeway system of L.A., the climate of Anchorage, and the economy of a third world country. Employment is nearly impossible to obtain and falling wages are the norm. Okay, now I'm just complaining.Anyway, anyone who can shed any further light on cost of living variances between states will be forever thanked. My needs are few but they are required for me to live a happy life: 1. Water - first there must be a body of water close by for me to fish in. I do come from Michigan after all, and it's the one and only thing we have going for us here: lots and lots of lakes. 2. A decent, affordable, smallish house. 3. A safe environment. 4. A good healthcare system within a reasonable driving distance.My sincere thanks,Karen

Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenklambert View Post
I just happened to stumble upon this discussion forum and I had to stop what I was searching for and read all the postings as my husband and I are trying to determine exactly the same thing: KY or TN for retirement??? We live in the Metro Detroit area (closer to Ann Arbor) and have had it with the God-awful winters, failed economy, foundering home values, etc. We've got the freeway system of L.A., the climate of Anchorage, and the economy of a third world country. Employment is nearly impossible to obtain and falling wages are the norm. Okay, now I'm just complaining.Anyway, anyone who can shed any further light on cost of living variances between states will be forever thanked. My needs are few but they are required for me to live a happy life: 1. Water - first there must be a body of water close by for me to fish in. I do come from Michigan after all, and it's the one and only thing we have going for us here: lots and lots of lakes. 2. A decent, affordable, smallish house. 3. A safe environment. 4. A good healthcare system within a reasonable driving distance.My sincere thanks,Karen
Help us out, what is your definition of small, 1200 sq ft, 2400 sq ft? Affordable being under 100k, 150k, 200k? Are you willing to drive 20 minutes for healthcare, 45 minutes, an hour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee