Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:52 PM

8 posts, read 22,773 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your input, folks. We are coming down to TN in April (around Easter) and will be checking out the areas you mentioned. I have checked on some real estate websites and have found numerous affordable homes that would suit us just fine. The real estate market must not be as bad as it is here in the Metro Detroit area (of course what area is?) because one mountain view gem I had my eye on has already sold. I am so looking forward to visiting your state and taking in all the local flavor and atmosphere. I'm sick to death of 9 months of winter, the most corrupt system of government in the country, no forseeable prospects of economic resurgence, and one of the highest crime rates in the country. I don't actually live in Detroit but it is only about 30 miles away and I am in the same county so everything that happens there negatively impacts us all. The auto industry has done themselves in with greed (this I know firsthand, I used to work for General Motors and had to attend contract negotiations/brawls), and there's no end in sight.

I just re-read this.............. Boy do I NEED a vacation!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 06:46 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
Avid sportsman? The fishing is good and lots of public land to use. But if your counting on hunting. Get ready for a shock. I don't know what you have to do to hunt up there. But in Tennessee. Public land is so filled with other hunters or set regulations you follow. Even before you actually hunt. The big thing here is your land with food plots or relatives land.
Now the bag limits on whitetail are very liberal. But two things contribute to that. They breed like rabbits and with poor opportunities to hunt them for the average guy. They have a huge carryover of ones that live out the hunting season every year.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:38 AM

6 posts, read 20,702 times
Well, I thought I'd provide an update on my original thread.

I'm typing this from a house we rented in Springville, Tennessee! I'm loving the area and my wife says, "I'm not leaving, I don't know what you're going to do, but [b]I'M[/i] not leaving."

We originally thought we'd be living in/near Paris, but we came down for a couple days in early June and found this nice little rental in Springville, about a ten minute drive to Paris. I love the location, I'm a five minute drive from the Paris State Park boat landing on Kentucky Lake!

Everyone we've met has been extremely nice and friendly, with the exception of two guys that it was obvious weren't from the area. One local furniture dealer even gave my wife and I $25.00/ ea. tickets to a benefit dinner/auction. She said "our plans were changed, so you might as well use the free meal and have a night out."!!! How nice was that?

I've been invited by many to go fishing and have already made some good friends. Registering my vehicles was easy and inexpensive and I can't believe how low our water and electric bill has been, even with running the central air! I can't remember the last time I filled the gas tank on my truck or boat for so little and we've noticed that prices on other items are less or no more expensive than northeastern Wisconsin, so we have a little more money left at the end of the month instead of the other way around.

Property prices and property taxes are not to be believed in comparison to my previous location!! We looked at one property just across the road from Kentucky Lake and I know the house would be listed at more than twice the asking price back in northern Wisconsin. AND, the property taxes are one sixth of what I'm used to paying. And this isn't some small, old "fixer-upper," it's a 2,100 sq/ft, 3 bd/2 ba home on a BIG lot with a HUGE garage.

We're doing some "drive-by" home hunting today, but I think we're going to put an offer in on the lake home next week.

I'm loving Tennessee and I think I'll be living out my life as a Tennessee resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee