Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:56 AM

117 posts, read 488,401 times

Advertisements

I lived in FL for 3 long, long, long years. It took a long time to adjust there. I wasn't used to people being so rude, very high crime or high cost of living. Not to mention poor healthcare issues. I first moved to Boynton Beach and within the first few days, our moving truck was broken into. Nothing was missing, because we had everything packed so tightly and it was parked in a very open area that I am sure the person/persons were scared away. The door to the truck was wide open and lock missing, thats how we knew someone broke into it. I should have left then. I worked at 3 different hospitals only to find a lot more stressful working enviroment than I was used to. I couldn't enjoy being in Florida because I was stressed. I tried living in Boynton beach, Delray beach and Orlando. But decided after 3 strikes I was out! I moved back to MN due to family illness, and after being here 10 months have decided its time to to go a little more south, and I have heard such wonderful things about TN and how nice the people are. The change of seasons aren't so drastic as MN. I will be visiting Tn in March to make a final decision about relocating. But I can tell you, that I will NEVER move back to FL. If I visit it would be to the beach or theme park and thats it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 09:22 AM

48 posts, read 129,000 times
Default Bought property in Baileyton. Can't wait to get out of Florida

I have lived in South Florida since I was 15. I am 44 now. Northern Palm Beach County was a great place to spend my teens and twenties. It was rural with lots of fun, simple things to do. The people were very friendly and welcomed my family and me with welcome arms. Jupiter High School was a stress-free, low crime environment compared to the school I had gone to in Ct.

Now I can't wait to get the hell out of here. We live two counties north of Palm Beach and the tremendous growth has embattled us all. I had an eighty mile drive to Central Palm Beach County yesterday and it took me two hours to battle the traffic all the way down.

Last year my wife and I bought 18-1/2 acres in Baileyton. I have a little over six years left in this living hell to take an early retirement and I can't wait to move up there.

In Palm Beach County you now have to pay around $300,000 for 1-1/4 acres in a so-called "rural" area which is really just a neighborhood with big yards, and you are on a dirt road with well water. In Baileyton we paid 1/4 of that price for 18-1/2 acres, are 18 miles from any real town and have public water and a paved road.

I have loved the mountains all my life. I love country and bluegrass music and the simple, kind people that live in the country.

Can't wait to get out of Florida and into our new home state.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:21 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybob63 View Post
I have lived in South Florida since I was 15. I am 44 now. Northern Palm Beach County was a great place to spend my teens and twenties. It was rural with lots of fun, simple things to do. The people were very friendly and welcomed my family and me with welcome arms. Jupiter High School was a stress-free, low crime environment compared to the school I had gone to in Ct.

Now I can't wait to get the hell out of here. We live two counties north of Palm Beach and the tremendous growth has embattled us all. I had an eighty mile drive to Central Palm Beach County yesterday and it took me two hours to battle the traffic all the way down.

Last year my wife and I bought 18-1/2 acres in Baileyton. I have a little over six years left in this living hell to take an early retirement and I can't wait to move up there.

In Palm Beach County you now have to pay around $300,000 for 1-1/4 acres in a so-called "rural" area which is really just a neighborhood with big yards, and you are on a dirt road with well water. In Baileyton we paid 1/4 of that price for 18-1/2 acres, are 18 miles from any real town and have public water and a paved road.

I have loved the mountains all my life. I love country and bluegrass music and the simple, kind people that live in the country.

Welcome to Tennessee! I used to live in Fort Pierce, Florida. UGH. I can definitely feel your pain. I miss the fresh citrus fruit and looking out onto the Atlantic Ocean from my house on Hutchison Island, but that's about it.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:37 AM

19 posts, read 42,742 times
Default why we love tn

we have been here in tn for 2 weeks now, we love the area and the people are really awesome. the only problem we are having is finding employment. we moved here on the premonition that we had work but, that kind of fell thru so now we are registered all over. nothing happening too fast for our liking, our home based businesses are slow too. but we have faith!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 05:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
That's why I say to have jobs before you come. It was the only drawback to moving here. My husband had a job right away, and got decent pay, but the guy turned out to be dishonest to his customers, so we both ended up struggling to find a job. The job market is very tight and we were really miserable for awhile.

What kind of jobs are y'all looking for?

Old 02-13-2007, 06:01 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,808 times
I work in the ...well, I can't say what industry I work in because I could get slapped on the hand. But, I am familiar with people who live in Florida that want to relocate, let me say that. I've spoken with a number of Floridians recently and I feel your pain. North Carolina is getting a lot of new residents from Florida. That's really kinda sad.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:17 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
As far as I'm concerned, you can take the people that just want to move to Tennessee because it is cheaper. I say, have at it.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:31 PM

54 posts, read 301,712 times
Default Here are my reasons why Florida is Not fo me..

You can not live in Miami unless you are RICH!!! I've been here close to 30 years let me tell you...

Traffic is BAD! Depending how far you work from home, plan at least 1 hour ahead for the Turnpike if you hit it by 7 am./ 1 1/2 for local streets and the Palmetto (which is using peoples former back yards for enlarging lanes ) 3hours! I do not drive on it!! Drivers are aggressive, they hardly ever allow you to merge in their lane, and the boomboxes on wheels, please I haven't had my coffee yet...

Buying a house - my biggest mistake or was it ? I rent 3bed/ 2bath in south miami, no yard $1200 a month, cable $50, phonebill with dsl / cell phones -$175, electric $250, water $150 , food at your local Publix where shopping is highway robbery $200 per week!!!!!!!! Gas $2.50 per gallon.......

Ya you've seen beautiful pics of our state, but can you afford to live here? For me noo, the beaches are always packed, parking is expensive, crime in certain areas are scary, people will kill you for your car!!! Malls are always packed, forget Walmart during Holidays, sardines in a can have more space!The rude people in our town is saddly our kids - teenagers - hardly into puberty making out, cussing at you, racing around in their boombox cars, and the way they dress my God, what are parents thinking! The girls act like slushies and the boys like foulmouth punks.

There are nice places, but be prepared to pay, can you believe a 3 bed/ 2 bath old house in Miami Springs,no land $600,000 !!! It was advertized in their local gazette! INSANE!!! don't even ask about the taxes every year...

Think it thru man don't move here theres no room to evacuate when a hurricane hits...stay home or drown in your car...that is the way i see it. IR

Old 02-13-2007, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,653 times
There are too many people in Florida now. All the northeners are taking over and it is getting more and more expensive to live here! I know in my city (Lake Wales, Florida) it is growing very rapdily because Cypress Gardens is less than 5 miles away but our salaries are staying the same. Plus the hurriances...and like someone else said...you can't dig a hole without a permit. Haha

Old 02-13-2007, 09:41 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
OMG!!! We went to the same high school LOL!!! From the looks of it I went about 8 years after you did and I also moved there from CT, but I came from little, itty bitty, in the woods, town in CT and to me Jupiter High scared the you know what outa me! LOL! I know exactly the area you are speaking about in Jupiter..."The Farms" right? hahhahaha
I moved to TN 10 years ago and I now live not far from Baileyton, I can tell you you are going to LOVE it! You couldn't pay me to move back to Jupiter or any other part of FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybob63 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee