U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,782 times

Advertisements

We have lived in the Orlando area for 12 years. We are relocating to the Tri-Cities area as soon as school gets out. My husbands job has relocated him there. He is already living out of a hotel until we find a house. I am truly excited about this move. Having 4 Children 16, 9, 3 and 2 and doing the research on schools, I am extremely excited about having smaller class rooms for my children. We live in one of the "Best" school districts in the state and my children just dont seem to be very challenged. I am actually concerned that they will be behind once school starts in TN. Can honestly say that if my husbands company was not transferring him I doubt we would ever consider moving to TN, however, anyone I tell that we are going is jealous and tells us we are going to love it. NOT ONE PERSON HAD A NEGATIVE TO SAY. Which is just the oppositre here in FL!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 12:14 PM

12,545 posts, read 35,017,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm1005 View Post
We have lived in the Orlando area for 12 years. We are relocating to the Tri-Cities area as soon as school gets out. My husbands job has relocated him there. He is already living out of a hotel until we find a house. I am truly excited about this move. Having 4 Children 16, 9, 3 and 2 and doing the research on schools, I am extremely excited about having smaller class rooms for my children. We live in one of the "Best" school districts in the state and my children just dont seem to be very challenged. I am actually concerned that they will be behind once school starts in TN. Can honestly say that if my husbands company was not transferring him I doubt we would ever consider moving to TN, however, anyone I tell that we are going is jealous and tells us we are going to love it. NOT ONE PERSON HAD A NEGATIVE TO SAY. Which is just the oppositre here in FL!
I loved reading your message! I'm tickled that you're so excited to move to Tennessee. The Tri Cities is a beautiful area, and I think you will be amazed at how pleasant life can be when you're in a place like the Tri Cities. I don't know you or your kids, but I bet they'll enjoy it, too. I know when my family left the idiocy of Florida public schools (Tampa) for Tennessee (Cookeville), my parents were pleasantly surprised at how much better schools were and how much we kids enjoyed going to school. I mean, we actually LOVED going to school; in Florida it was such a battle to get us motivated in the mornings.

Best of luck with your move.

Last edited by JMT; 04-05-2007 at 12:29 PM..

Old 04-05-2007, 01:29 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,689,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm1005 View Post
I can totally understand where you are coming from and let me be the first to say " Welcome to TN neighbor! " Have you picked out a school yet? I have my boys in the Gray schools and they are GREAT! my youngest is advanced and they keep him challenged and the school does have a lot to offer.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:57 PM

117 posts, read 454,499 times
This is totally funny, I was looking today for this thread I had started because I wanted to hear from some more florida transplants and I couldn't find it, so thank you jrm1005 for finding it and adding to it!

Old 04-06-2007, 07:51 AM

4,423 posts, read 6,527,447 times
Default Very few people in Florida speak English????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleeing Florida View Post
We are moving out of Florida. Like most crowded cities the drugs and crime have taken over. Homes are being built on top of each other and very few people in Florida speak English. There are so many languages it is sometimes difficult to know what they are speaking.

I think half of the Florida population is moving, it is too crowded here.

I know Kentucky is getting lots of Floridians as are other states such as Montana and Indiana. I am actually from Kentucky so living in Tennessee or Kentucky will be fine with me.

I do wonder which area in Tennessee is more desirable? Murfreesboro looks like it is getting crowded too.
Excuse me... where in Florida are you from? My neighbors all speak perfect English.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,143,738 times
Default personal experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera_GT5 View Post
these people are nuts....I live in SW FLorida and everybody that's anybody speaks English....smart and educated non-Hispanics are also known to speak more than one, singular language.....more is clearly better...unless perhaps you live in rural gooberville
if they're talking about Miami, they may have a point. But obviously Collier & Lee County have a larger English speaking population.

Have you noticed most people form their opinions based on there own limited experiences. It's like if during my visit to Knoxville I encountered a rude waitress during lunch, got cut off by a driver going back to the hotel, and then had the night desk manager at the hotel give me the wrong bill and insist I pay for things that I didn't ask for=======what do you think my impression of Knoxville would be? Exactly! But that doesn't really represent the city now does it?

Old 04-06-2007, 04:07 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,743,447 times
i am familiar with both tn and fla... and i would just like to add that there are a lot of misconceptions and "grass is greener-types..."

i dont remember who said what... but a few things i would like to add to or perhaps disagree with...

1. i'm sorry, but whoever said fla women have nothing on tn women is wrong. i'm a married man, but i do have eyes. fla women (for the most part) take care of themselves better and are prettier. that's an easy one.

2. memphis has very high crime. anyone in fla moving out of the state to get away from their "crime ridden neighborhood" shouldnt be looking into memphis. that makes no sense.

3. someone said ppl in fla have bad grammer, or was trying to get away from bad grammar they heard in fla. have you heard a native of tn speak??? no insult there, but c'mon now.

personally, i like to hear about fla'ians moving to tn. most of them are from ny or northeast anyway. get a move on guys! flea from fla! thanks for driving up our prices and moving to the next "cheap place to live with no income tax"

Old 04-06-2007, 04:13 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,143,738 times
backtofla,

I'm curious to know where in FL you've lived, and where you currently live in order to better address your comments. I promise to be gentle

Old 04-06-2007, 04:35 PM

117 posts, read 454,499 times
I guess people have forgotten this particular area of the forum is for those in TN or moving to TN, this thread is about why those individuals decided to leave FL and move to TN. They are giving their opinions on why they left, not to be disrespected by others who feel they need to bash their opinions on leaving. Their is another forum about FL, feel free to comment there!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:44 PM

22,576 posts, read 49,523,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen1972 View Post
I guess people have forgotten this particular area of the forum is for those in TN or moving to TN, this thread is about why those individuals decided to leave FL and move to TN. They are giving their opinions on why they left, not to be disrespected by others who feel they need to bash their opinions on leaving. Their is another forum about FL, feel free to comment there!

I noticed that, too.

It seems that lately we've had a lot of people on the Tennessee forum, in different threads, that LOOOOOVE Florida, but feel the need to bash Tennessee. They have no interest in relocating here, either. So why bother posting here? It seems to me that if you are that content with where you live you would not care if people are moving to another state.

I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee