Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:30 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

Here is a job site from TN Career Center.

https://ecmats.state.tn.us/eCMATS/ (broken link)

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 07:15 PM

157 posts, read 1,093,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepower View Post
At 23 years old RopeS,make the move! ANYWHERE in Middle Tennessee you'll find a decent job & be comfortable.Even in Cookeville.I promise you'll find a good job,find good affordable housing.With Tennessee Tech here(in Cookeville) you'll also find a mate easily!(if you want one)... At your age go for it NOW!

firepower

That's the kind of encouragement that I'm lookin for!! I just wish I could be as confident as you. Lol. I'd move down there tomorrow, but the job situation has me the most concerned. Maybe I have too much of a Michigan mindset. There are NO jobs up here.. I don't think I'll have a problem with affordable housing, as I can live almost anywhere. Doesn't have to be fancy for me. And, if I could find a good girl, I'd be the happiest man alive. Doesn't seem to be any of those up here either..

Also, I signed up for that other job site, so I'll be checkin that daily too. Thanks for the help and encouragement guys (and girls).

Old 02-12-2007, 07:29 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeS View Post
That's the kind of encouragement that I'm lookin for!! I just wish I could be as confident as you. Lol. I'd move down there tomorrow, but the job situation has me the most concerned. Maybe I have too much of a Michigan mindset. There are NO jobs up here.. I don't think I'll have a problem with affordable housing, as I can live almost anywhere. Doesn't have to be fancy for me. And, if I could find a good girl, I'd be the happiest man alive. Doesn't seem to be any of those up here either..

Also, I signed up for that other job site, so I'll be checkin that daily too. Thanks for the help and encouragement guys (and girls).
Oh I understand completely your hesitancy at moving to a new place without a job lined up. But you're right, things are different down here than in Michigan. When I lived in Memphis I knew a lot of people from Michigan who preferred Memphis over Michigan. And that says a lot!

I concur with firepower, Cookeville is a great town. I'm hoping to move there someday, and I'm also a single guy. However, I have no desire to get married.

But if you'd rather live in a big city, Nashville is hard to beat, and there are TONS of jobs in Nashville. The cost of living is higher, though. I've seen Nashville listed in several polls as being a very hip city for single people and for young professionals.

Come on down and take a visit! Spend a few days wandering around Nashville, Cookeville, or wherever else you're thinking about. Check out the help wanted ads in the local papers, talk to some employment agencies, maybe even go to church (if that's your thing) just to see what you can find out.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:44 PM

60 posts, read 344,538 times
Default Albion to Maryville

I'm moving from Albion, MI to Maryville, TN this June. We're looking for houses this March. To say that I'm excited is an understatement.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:59 PM

86 posts, read 414,409 times
Saginaw, here........37 years...glad we moved!!

Old 02-13-2007, 06:12 PM

157 posts, read 1,093,239 times
I do plan on coming down there somewhat soon and scoping the potential places out. I've never been inside the city limits of Nashville either, so that'll be new to me. I can't wait.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:41 AM
ATA

2 posts, read 6,968 times
Don't forget about Murfreesboro, TN. Rutherford county is listed as in the top ten in the nation for growth and with that means alot to offer. I moved here from Colorado and was raised in Michigan. TN is not Colorado but better than Michigan. My wife is hard to please and she has fallen in love with Tennessee and that speaks volumes. Moderator cut: Please PM this info . Check it out. Great place to live!!!

Old 02-19-2007, 02:50 PM

11 posts, read 34,296 times
Another Michigander transplant!! My husband and I lived in Flint (myself 52 years) and there were NO jobs! We decided to move to Maryville TN in 2002 and will never go back. The jobs are there if you want them... start with any placement agency for a contract position and you will definitely be working. One of the things we've really appreciated since moving here are the different attitudes. People here are so friendly whereas in MI people seemed so angry and hostile. It's wonderful to drive down any road and have people wave at you instead of flipping you off. In MI road rage was an everyday thing. We haven't experienced it here... yet. Of course the weather is fantastic. We don't miss the bitter cold and heavy snow of Michigan. Having only two months of true winter here instead of the 5 in MI is worth moving for in itself! The reasons to move here far outweigh the reasons to stay in Michigan!

Old 02-22-2007, 06:31 PM

56 posts, read 233,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeS
I am looking to move around the Nashville area. I would like to live about 30 mins or so out of it, so that I can be more in the country, but can commute to Nashville for work. I drive an hour to work now, so even that may not be bad. I've been surfing careerbuilder for jobs. Are there any other good sites for local jobs? I'm looking for an automotive service advisor position, but would be open to alot of things. Even factory work. I just want out of this place.. lol.
Also look into the Springfield area. It has a great local job market and is close to Nashville. Also has very affordable housing.

Take care

Old 02-23-2007, 02:06 PM

11 posts, read 34,296 times
Welcome to Tennessee! Here's a list of other career sites to apply with...
http://www.state.tn.us/labor-wfd/boomer/ (broken link)
http://267.careersite.com (broken link)
http://seeker.dice.com
https://my.usajobs.opm.gov (broken link)
http://www.tennesseeanytime.org/

Hope these help and good luck in your job hunt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee