U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:11 PM

687 posts, read 1,969,733 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move as well. Michigan is just sinking and we can't drown with the ship. My husband has actively been sending out his resumes down there with no luck. It's a big jump for our family but something that we'd like to do. Between the auto industry crashing up here and now Pfizer's big punch to Ann Arbor (we're very close to A2) it's just sinking. Not to mention other layoffs, job cuts and business closings. It's actually quite sad.

We've been scouring the areas of Williamson County and then also the Murfreesboro area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 09:00 PM

421 posts, read 1,623,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
We are looking to move as well. Michigan is just sinking and we can't drown with the ship. My husband has actively been sending out his resumes down there with no luck. It's a big jump for our family but something that we'd like to do. Between the auto industry crashing up here and now Pfizer's big punch to Ann Arbor (we're very close to A2) it's just sinking. Not to mention other layoffs, job cuts and business closings. It's actually quite sad.

We've been scouring the areas of Williamson County and then also the Murfreesboro area.
Well don't drown! Make the move! Guarantee you'll find life much better in Tennessee.No matter which area you choose!
If you're looking at those 2 areas,those are 2 of the fastest growing counties in the south! Jobs abound! Good luck!

firepower

Old 02-26-2007, 09:24 PM

459 posts, read 1,217,021 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I hate to say this, but Fort Myers, FL was full of these folks. I would rather die than have to live among them, again. Sounds over-the-top, but true.

They were self-centered but also extremely rude and mean.

What could make an entire demographic behave this way? Does anyone have any insight? I would dearly love to know.

We are all extras in their movie.
Great question!

Old 02-26-2007, 09:52 PM

687 posts, read 1,969,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepower View Post
Well don't drown! Make the move! Guarantee you'll find life much better in Tennessee.No matter which area you choose!
If you're looking at those 2 areas,those are 2 of the fastest growing counties in the south! Jobs abound! Good luck!

firepower

Thanks firepower. LOL I hear a lot of folks moving down south. Hubby is tired of the cold/snow up here anyway. I've lived my whole life here (so has he) but I think we're ready to jump. I know a lot of work in the gulf states as well but I'd rather not be that far south. But Tennessee seems like it might just be the right place for us now. If we can get him a job (and me eventually too!) Seems like Franklin/Williamson is a bit more pricey than east of there?

Old 02-26-2007, 10:59 PM

6 posts, read 12,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post
Great question!
Have you ever been to the Detroit, mich. area? the attitude is very contagious! you don't dare ever trust anyone in this state! I've lived here my whole life and had to learn the hard way! That's why I'm moving!

Old 02-28-2007, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 11,619 times
Hi. I live in northern Michigan. Been studying Best Places, etc. to see where I'd like to live for the rest of my healthy life. I was born and raised in Oakland County Michigan. Moved up here in 84...too much snow for the amount of hilly terrain. I'm single and a boomer, so don't want to ruin my back. I just heard on a talk radio program that Franklin, Tenn. is a new "hot" destination. Why? Anyone know. What do you have to offer? Are there any nice lakes. Clear lakes for sailing or just watching the waves roll in? I'm investigating. I don't think I'd like Florida because of humidity, daily thunderstorms, hurricane threats etc. Can anyone enlighten me on the Franklin area? Are you bothered by tourists to Nashville? Are the people friendly to northerners (or yankess as we've been called?) I lived in N.C. for two years in the 70s and felt a lot of the people resented yankees.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:52 AM

13,149 posts, read 37,688,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneG View Post
Hi. I live in northern Michigan. Been studying Best Places, etc. to see where I'd like to live for the rest of my healthy life. I was born and raised in Oakland County Michigan. Moved up here in 84...too much snow for the amount of hilly terrain. I'm single and a boomer, so don't want to ruin my back. I just heard on a talk radio program that Franklin, Tenn. is a new "hot" destination. Why? Anyone know. What do you have to offer? Are there any nice lakes. Clear lakes for sailing or just watching the waves roll in? I'm investigating. I don't think I'd like Florida because of humidity, daily thunderstorms, hurricane threats etc. Can anyone enlighten me on the Franklin area? Are you bothered by tourists to Nashville? Are the people friendly to northerners (or yankess as we've been called?) I lived in N.C. for two years in the 70s and felt a lot of the people resented yankees.
Franklin is in Williamson County, one of the 20 fastest growing and 20 wealthiest counties in the country. It's got a quaint town square and lots of million-dollar subdivisions. It's soon to be home to Nissan's North American headquarters and its 1300 high-paid executives.

The countryside around Franklin is beautifully rolling hills. There are a lot of horse farms around there.

There are no lakes around there, however. I know a lot of Franklin types have ake houses on Center Hill Lake which is about an hour east of Nashville. There are two large lakes in Nashville (Old Hickory Lake and Percy Priest Lake) where you can go sailing, but neither is as scenic as Center Hill.

Franklin is also a popular place for many country music celebrities.

Here's the Franklin - Williamson County chamber of commerce's web site:
http://www.williamson-franklinchamber.com/

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2007, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 11,619 times
Red face Franklin vs East of Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Franklin is in Williamson County, one of the 20 fastest growing and 20 wealthiest counties in the country. It's got a quaint town square and lots of million-dollar subdivisions. It's soon to be home to Nissan's North American headquarters and its 1300 high-paid executives.

The countryside around Franklin is beautifully rolling hills. There are a lot of horse farms around there.

There are no lakes around there, however. I know a lot of Franklin types have ake houses on Center Hill Lake which is about an hour east of Nashville. There are two large lakes in Nashville (Old Hickory Lake and Percy Priest Lake) where you can go sailing, but neither is as scenic as Center Hill.

Franklin is also a popular place for many country music celebrities.

Here's the Franklin - Williamson County chamber of commerce's web site:
http://www.williamson-franklinchamber.com/

Good luck!
Thank you JMT: Hmmm lots to think about.With Nissan moving in, that means jobs. That's a good thing. I recently applied for a secretarial job up here, and recvd a thank you letter today, but the company chose another out of 150 applicants! I will look on my map and check out the area near that Center Hill Lake. I've been near water all my life, and think I'd go nuts if I didn't see it. It is hard to explain to folks who have not had the privilege. I accessed the chamber site, but didn't see a whole lot to entice me. a few pictures on the home page. Love the green and the horses and quaintness. So Franklin is really wealthy. Hmmm So is the town I live in, unfortunately I am not one of them. Sounds like a place to visit and go gah gah over though. Wonder where the wealth comes from. Up here, it's folks from Chicago and Detroit area moving here after retirement - either starting businesses here or just bringing their trust accts from years of hard work in the big cities and moving to the bay area, buying or building big expensive homes forcing native residents out because of high property values and increased taxes. Gotta get outahere.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:22 PM

22,583 posts, read 52,004,088 times
A lot of the money comes from country music stars. Might not be what you are looking for.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:23 AM

13,149 posts, read 37,688,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneG View Post
Thank you JMT: Hmmm lots to think about.With Nissan moving in, that means jobs. That's a good thing. I recently applied for a secretarial job up here, and recvd a thank you letter today, but the company chose another out of 150 applicants! I will look on my map and check out the area near that Center Hill Lake. I've been near water all my life, and think I'd go nuts if I didn't see it. It is hard to explain to folks who have not had the privilege. I accessed the chamber site, but didn't see a whole lot to entice me. a few pictures on the home page. Love the green and the horses and quaintness. So Franklin is really wealthy. Hmmm So is the town I live in, unfortunately I am not one of them. Sounds like a place to visit and go gah gah over though. Wonder where the wealth comes from. Up here, it's folks from Chicago and Detroit area moving here after retirement - either starting businesses here or just bringing their trust accts from years of hard work in the big cities and moving to the bay area, buying or building big expensive homes forcing native residents out because of high property values and increased taxes. Gotta get outahere.
I don't know that you'd want to actually LIVE around Center Hill Lake, particularly if you plan on working in Nashville. Center Hill is more of a weekend getaway type place or a retirement area since it's about an hour from Nashville.

Have you considered Knoxville? In Knoxville you can live right on Lake Loudon and be just 30 minutes from downtown, or even less if you live in northern Blount County. Wages are generally a little lower in Knoxville than in Nashville, but so is the cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee