U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:11 PM

459 posts, read 1,218,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I don't think anyone in TN is concerned or angry at individual people or groups of people from other states. Not many people I know will say something like: " Boy I can't stand people from Michigan."
Actually, many people feel that way -- fortunately or unfortunately.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 09:14 PM

459 posts, read 1,218,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Okay. I'll change my position. I don't like Michigan retirees.

They moved into Fort Myers, FL after working their entire lives at a union job. Let's face it. A lot of those jobs simply required you to show up everyday and you were guaranteed a great salary and benefits. They sold their homes up north, came down to Florida, bought up the houses, jacked up the prices, took part-time jobs if they were bored, ran people off the road, flipped people the bird and left quarter tips for waiters.

I talked to a man in K-Mart once that was appalled at the service he received in Florida. I told him how much those people were paid. He was stunned! He probably hadn't been paid that kind of money since 1961.

I just don't think they have a clue how tough things are for people now.

And they are just plain mean. They are even mean to each other. I use to watch them ram each other with the shopping carts at WalMart. Unbelievable.
hiknapster -the more posts from you I read the more I agree with you. good point.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:35 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,590,758 times
hey moved into Fort Myers, FL after working their entire lives at a union job. Let's face it. A lot of those jobs simply required you to show up everyday and you were guaranteed a great salary and benefits."

- And that my friends is exactly why the Michigan economy is now in some serious trouble. Unions. Sure- they have had their place and in many ways we still need them, but given the fact that GM, Ford, Chrysler, and most any other manufacturing company up there are basically paying almost all of their profits to retirees ( some of those retirees in Florida for example), it's no wonder that Toyota and Nissan are beating the crap out of them. That's why almost all the manufacturing moved to the South where there isn't a strong union presence. That's also why BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, and Saturn all set up shop in the Southeast and not Detroit.

I find it almost too ironic that the very unions that were supposed to protect the American worker were also the same unions that caused the rust belt to crumble.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:21 PM

687 posts, read 1,972,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That's great! Where did he go? I hope you and your family can make the move.
He was all over the place! LOL I think he put almost 2000 miles on his truck. And he didn't leave TN. He drove around a lot of the places around Nashville like Franklin, Brentwood, Pegram, Bellevue, Mt Juliet, Hendersonville, Lebanon, Hermatige, La Vergne, Smyrna, Murfreesboro, Eagleville, Bell Buckle, Woodbury, McMinnville, (He LOVED the drive on 70S through those areas just east of Murfreesboro), Smithville, Cookeville and I am sure some other places. LOL He did a lot of exploring. Even met up with 4 friendly guys through a local Ultralight (planes) list that showed him around a bit too! I hope so too! He was very excited as he got a call this morning for a phone interview on Moday!!

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 04:48 PM..

Old 03-15-2007, 02:39 PM

13,168 posts, read 37,781,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
He was all over the place! LOL I think he put almost 2000 miles on his truck. And he didn't leave TN. He drove around a lot of the places around Nashville like Franklin, Brentwood, Pegram, Bellevue, Mt Juliet, Hendersonville, Lebanon, Hermatige, La Vergne, Smyrna, Murfreesboro, Eagleville, Bell Buckle, Woodbury, McMinnville, (He LOVED the drive on 70S through those areas just east of Murfreesboro), Smithville, Cookeville and I am sure some other places. LOL He did a lot of exploring. Even met up with 4 friendly guys through a local Ultralight (planes) list that showed him around a bit too! I hope so too! He was very excited as he got a call this morning for a phone interview on Moday!!
That's a lot of driving! And yes that drive on 70S is a nice one. And that's great that he's got a phone interview already set up! Where is the job?

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-15-2007, 03:41 PM

22,583 posts, read 52,088,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
hey moved into Fort Myers, FL after working their entire lives at a union job. Let's face it. A lot of those jobs simply required you to show up everyday and you were guaranteed a great salary and benefits."

- And that my friends is exactly why the Michigan economy is now in some serious trouble. Unions. Sure- they have had their place and in many ways we still need them, but given the fact that GM, Ford, Chrysler, and most any other manufacturing company up there are basically paying almost all of their profits to retirees ( some of those retirees in Florida for example), it's no wonder that Toyota and Nissan are beating the crap out of them. That's why almost all the manufacturing moved to the South where there isn't a strong union presence. That's also why BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, and Saturn all set up shop in the Southeast and not Detroit.

I find it almost too ironic that the very unions that were supposed to protect the American worker were also the same unions that caused the rust belt to crumble.
Oh, I agree. My Dad worked for a union most of his career. I have an older cousin that worked for the union. Showed up drunk everyday and they gave him early retirement and now are paying his medical bills.

Unions were needed at one time, a long time ago. What they turned into is a whole other deal.

I had the opportunity to work for a union. I couldn't believe my luck. I was thrilled! After working there two months I walked out. Unions have no juice. It pits employers against employees and the union walks away laughing. Never again.

But my point, really, was that folks of a certain age, worked their entire careers at them, retired, and now have the same entitlement attitude. They don't make for good neighbors.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:39 PM

323 posts, read 1,091,688 times
silverbox, JMT, hiknapster, etc. - thanks for your replies.
I can see where you're coming from in relation to the unions. My cousin worked for Ford about 10 years ago, and his supervisor would actually ask him why he was working so hard. He told him to take more breaks. Longer breaks. He got tons of paid vacation, amazing benefits, etc.
It's ridiculous. And that's exactly what ruined Michigan's economy.
And I can also only imagine that a lot of rich Michigan retirees can be jerks. Especially when they move in and change things, especially the cost of living.
We don't like those people up here either. They often move from rich Detroit suburbs and bulldoze forests in the rural burbs to put up huge golf course cookie cutter houses for $600,000. They move to the country, then turn it into the city. Sorry to hear they're doing it in other states too.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:06 AM

29,388 posts, read 53,521,015 times
I have found people here in Cookeville to welcome people from Michigan more then other places in Tennessee.

John

Old 04-23-2007, 02:02 AM

29,388 posts, read 53,521,015 times
Is there anymore people from Michigan moving to Tennessee?

Thanks, John

Old 04-29-2007, 01:22 PM

11 posts, read 32,717 times
Default Not all MI people are like this!

Yes, this is true of a minority of Michigan people, mainly those who worked for General Motors. But the majority of Michiganders do not fit this description! They are hard-working, kind people, average like most of the US. In the major cities such as Flint and Detroit you do see alot of angry people with attitudes, but that is because as GM pulls out more and more jobs, and more and more people become unemployed, lose their homes, etc., and those losses are reflected in their attitudes. The generalization of your statement, assuming that all Michiganders are selfish and mean, is so very unfair and untrue. You are basing your opinions on a small percentage of people and spouting them here. My husband and I moved from Flint, MI to Maryville, TN. When we go into Knoxville, Pigeon Forge, or Gatlinburg, we could say very much the same thing about the people there. We wouldn't, however, because there are always bad apples in every bunch, but we don't judge the bunch by the bad apples!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Okay. I'll change my position. I don't like Michigan retirees.

They moved into Fort Myers, FL after working their entire lives at a union job. Let's face it. A lot of those jobs simply required you to show up everyday and you were guaranteed a great salary and benefits. They sold their homes up north, came down to Florida, bought up the houses, jacked up the prices, took part-time jobs if they were bored, ran people off the road, flipped people the bird and left quarter tips for waiters.

I talked to a man in K-Mart once that was appalled at the service he received in Florida. I told him how much those people were paid. He was stunned! He probably hadn't been paid that kind of money since 1961.

I just don't think they have a clue how tough things are for people now.

And they are just plain mean. They are even mean to each other. I use to watch them ram each other with the shopping carts at WalMart. Unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee