Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 05:51 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm from Ypsilanti Michigan and have lived there 34 years before moving to Tennessee.

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 11:34 AM

157 posts, read 1,093,337 times
I live in Ypsi right now. I am planning on moving to mid TN in a few months though. So, I will fit in the catagory shortly. Are you glad you made the decision to move to TN? All I really want before I move is a job, but I may make the leap anyway, as I'm only 23yrs old and not tied down.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:55 PM

I've moved here 9 years ago and I found out mainly Cookeville is for retired people because Cookeville is not place for good paying jobs. You you want good jobs with good pay Nashville is the place. Must jobs here are service jobs like fast food restaurants. The employment office here is always telling me to go to Nashville for work.

John

Old 02-11-2007, 05:10 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I've moved here 9 years ago and I found out mainly Cookeville is for retired people because Cookeville is not place for good paying jobs. You you want good jobs with good pay Nashville is the place. Must jobs here are service jobs like fast food restaurants. The employment office here is always telling me to go to Nashville for work.

John
I think there's some truth to that. However, my friends in Cookeville who are college professors, insurance agents, accountants, lawyers, and doctors would have to disagree. And some factories (like Oreck and Cummins) pay quite well.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:

John
I think that's pretty typical of most small towns, particularly college towns that are full of cheap labor (students). Of course, Nashville also has higher taxes and more expensive housing.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 PM

I have family that have a college background that couldn't find the good paying jobs here and went Nashville instead. Another thing is if your in late 40's and 50's it's harder to find work in a college town. I have found this out. Cummins is a union shop and very hard to get a job if you don't know someone. A friend of mine works at Fleetguard which is Cummins Engine and is owned by them. He said most of work has moved to Mexico because Fleetguard has another factory just like this one in Cookeville but in Mexico.

Thanks, John

Old 02-11-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I have family that have a college background that couldn't find the good paying jobs here and went Nashville instead. Another thing is if your in late 40's and 50's it's harder to find work in a college town. I have found this out. Cummins is a union shop and very hard to get a job if you don't know someone. A friend of mine works at Fleetguard which is Cummins Engine and is owned by them. He said most of work has moved to Mexico because Fleetguard has another factory just like this one in Cookeville but in Mexico.

Thanks, John
Again, it's not that unusual to have to go to a larger city for more money. People have been doing it for centuries.

Some people aren't in this life to make a lot of money and would rather live in a smaller town. Count me among them.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:40 PM

157 posts, read 1,093,337 times
I am looking to move around the Nashville area. I would like to live about 30 mins or so out of it, so that I can be more in the country, but can commute to Nashville for work. I drive an hour to work now, so even that may not be bad. I've been surfing careerbuilder for jobs. Are there any other good sites for local jobs? I'm looking for an automotive service advisor position, but would be open to alot of things. Even factory work. I just want out of this place.. lol.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:42 PM

630 posts, read 2,431,703 times
I lived in the
U.P. when my dad was stationed at K.I. Sawyer AFB.
I graduated from Gwinn High School.
Only lived in Michigan a couple of years.
Went back a few years ago for vacation.
It hadn't really changed much, although K.I. Sawyer is no longer an Air Force base, but, the city of Sawyer.

We live in Minnesota right now.... soon to move back to Tennessee.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:29 PM

421 posts, read 1,690,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeS View Post
I am looking to move around the Nashville area. I would like to live about 30 mins or so out of it, so that I can be more in the country, but can commute to Nashville for work. I drive an hour to work now, so even that may not be bad. I've been surfing careerbuilder for jobs. Are there any other good sites for local jobs? I'm looking for an automotive service advisor position, but would be open to alot of things. Even factory work. I just want out of this place.. lol.
At 23 years old RopeS,make the move! ANYWHERE in Middle Tennessee you'll find a decent job & be comfortable.Even in Cookeville.I promise you'll find a good job,find good affordable housing.With Tennessee Tech here(in Cookeville) you'll also find a mate easily!(if you want one)... At your age go for it NOW!

firepower
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee