Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 62,987 times

Advertisements

My wife and I would like to semi-retire to the Johnson City area in 2008 to be near mountains and enjoy the 4 seasons again. Just wondering how everyday life is like in the area. We are planning a weeks visit this May and and would like some suggestions on what to do & see to get a good feel for what everyday life would be like in JC. We both enjoy the outdoors (hiking & jogging), good music (mostly r&r and blues), and good food. My wife would also like some good shopping places to visit. Any suggestions from locals would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 01:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Hi JCBOUND!
Happy to help here as I am sure there are several others that will add more.
I live in North Johnson City. As far as shopping, Restaurants and getting to know folks who live in this area, take a few trips up and down Roan Street and State of Franklin Rd. Go to the Mall, walk around and sit and "people watch" a while in there. Well, that will at least let you know about our teenagers in JC hahahahah. Go by Wingedeer Park off the Bristol Hwy in JC.
Pick up a "Loafer" flier when you get here. They are in front of about every grocery store in the area, that will tell you of every music venue, who is playing and when, in the Tri-Cities, Greeneville and some Asheville things as well. You might want to check out Sushi Blues off St. of Franklin Rd, on a Friday or Saturday night. As for hiking, take the short drive to Elizabethton to Hwy 19, go South and up Roan Mountain, you will see all kinds of trail heads along there. You can also go South on 26 from JC and within 30 minutes, you are in the Smokies. Any other questions, please ask away! There are a lot of nice folks on here that love to talk about the Tri-Cities and the "hot" spots they know.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:48 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,783 times
If you go to www.gotricities.com you should be able to find things to do and specialty events that are going on while you will be visiting.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:44 AM

7 posts, read 62,987 times
Thanks for all the good info on visiting the Johnson City area. While seeing how everyday life is like in the area, we would also like to see some nice sub-divisions in a nice neighborhood to live in. Looking for a 3/2 brick house with mountain and/or water view that is in JC or within 10-15 miles from town. School district or jobs are not important since we are going to be "semi-retired". Looking in the 200-225K range. Any info on towns/neighborhoods to see or avoid would be appreciated. Thanks again for all the help. Looking foward to a slower pace in the mountains.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:07 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Off the top of my head, I can think of a few subdivisions/developments/areas in both Gray and Boone's Creek (technically both considered Gray, but different school zones, not that that makes a difference to you heheheh) area that have nice yet not all the same looking brick homes and I think they are in that price range. Those are within your distance requirements as well. Lots of these areas have mountain views, Boone's Creek would be more chance of water view. Check the MLS listings at realtor.com and use the zip codes 37615, then choose "add other areas". That should give you some idea.
Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee