U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Tennessee: job market, new home construction, rent an apartment, construction agencies, medical field career.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:29 AM

20 posts, read 111,836 times

Advertisements

Hi. I want to move out of IN really bad. I would like this to happen maybe in approx 3 months. Winter is horrible in IN. I want a little warmer climate, but not HOT and humid all the time. I am thinking of Tennessee.
I need advise PLEASE on cities to consider.
Here are a few of the important things I need in the place I choose. With YOUR help, maybe I can make a decision. I can't just come and visit..no money to do that with, I need everything I have saved just for the move.
Here's the criteria for me: I would be coming with my husband. We are in our 40's. 1)We share a car--so I need the city to be big enough for EMPLOYMENT(unfortuneatly, we have no jobs here to transfer to in TN, so we would be looking for employment there!). My husband's experience is mostly in new home construction (he's a framer) but he can do ANY JOB--but has no college degree. Faring etc... he's done long ago too. So, i need the location to be where their are a lot of jobs! Myself, I have years of working in the medical field but I too can just waitress, bartend or do office work. 2) Public transportation is important where we live to commute to work if needed. 3) We don't want to live in a big huge city with traffic and congestion. I realize we would need to be CLOSE though due to employment. 4) Don't want to live where their is primarily all YOUNG people---no where where its full of tourists and teenagers!
5) We want a simple country -like environment. 6) We would need to rent an apartment ---so I need the apartment search to be reasonably priced. Cannot afford to pay a lot for a 1 bdr apt. We currently pay $500.00 a mo for a NICE apt in a nice town. We are both white-born here and raised here! Although, we are NOT predjudice. 7) We want to live where everyone is friendly and makes you feel welcome and like family. We have hardly any family.

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any suggestions on towns, cities to live in. I hope I gave enough info. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks.
Tina
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 01:09 PM

176 posts, read 769,490 times
One of the things that caught my eye was your need for public transportation yet you don't wish to live in a larger town. Decent public transportation is usually only found in larger cities so you'll want to concentrate on TN's larger towns if this is really important. I live near Cookeville and there really isn't any public transportation other than a local call-in-advance minibus service.

Our local hospital has been enlarged several times over the past few years so medical employment is strong here. Nationwide building has slowed down so jobs in construction such as framing are taking a hit. Are there any other skills that your husband has that might work in other careers?

Old 10-04-2008, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,962 times
You may want to check out Cleveland, TN. We have SETHRA transportation, anyone can ride. Was 50 cents, not sure now with the gas prices. One of the Emergency Room nurses where I work uses this transportation. The hospital I work at is in the process of major construction. Your husband may be able to get a job with the contract company, and you might be able to get a job with the hospital. The hospital has the job listings on their website. Look up SkyRidge Medical Center in Cleveland, TN.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:13 PM

7,279 posts, read 20,334,647 times
Default Maybe Johnson City or Kingsport?

Both of these cities have a public transportation system. Not wide spread but they do have areas where they go into housing areas, rather nice ones and to the downtown areas, hospitals, etc.
Here are the links to their travel routes.
Johnson City Transit System
Kingsport, TN - Kingsport MPO - Public Transit<hr color=#2E8B57>
You can go just a few miles outside of cities limits in these towns and feel like you are way out in the country. Beautiful mountain views of both the smokies and the Clinch mountain ranges.
As for jobs, I always suggest to find a job first (as well as an in depth visit before a move) but understand the $$ situation sometimes makes it hard to do that. If you are willing to take any job, there are plenty around, the wages maybe lower than you are used to though. Then again, coming from IN, they might be that much different? Call the employment agencies in which ever town you decide on, or determine it that way, and explain the situations, email them your resumes, maybe they will do phone interviews then have interviews lined up for you when you get here.
Just some thoughts
Hope that might help.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:01 PM
kbg

223 posts, read 311,132 times
I live in west Tn. and there are not many options giving your needs all I could suggest is Jackson with a population of around 70,000 in this centrally located city about 80 m. east of Memphis, you and your husband should find a job fairly easy. Construction jobs such as experienced framers can be obtained easily but with all weather related jobs they slow in the winter months, as for you it seems staying in the medical field is the way to go because there will always be a need for your skills.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:02 PM

21 posts, read 53,373 times
Construction is seriously down in the Chattanooga area, as elsewhere. Jobs for peeps in medical seem to be abundant, but ChattTown has tried to turn itself into a tourist town = low paying jobs. A substantial number of large companies in the 35 mile radius have laid off or shut down; unfortunately those are the manufacturing, better paying positions.

While I don't live there, Lexington KY seems to have alot going for it. A little further south than you're presently located - lots of money there to keep the economy moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee