U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 04:55 AM

8 posts, read 30,270 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at the probability of moving to Western Tennessee by '08. If we find the right place, we would consider purchasing beforehand. The two areas we are most considering at this point are The Maryville/Knoxville area, and the Greeneville/Tri-Cities area, with Greeneville and Maryville being the specific areas of most 'reading' interest. Now we are planning to see where the 'visual' interest is...beginning next weekend. We're currently in the mountains of NC...love it...a wonderful mountain view...but with retirement are looking for a house with less to maintain (have way too much landscaping etc), especially since we have a small house in Indiana where we will spend lots, probably most, of our summers (as we have four children there). I also have a brother in Radford Virginia. Both areas are closer to our 'Indiana home' and to Radford. I think we will start with a close look at the Greeneville area. We actually unlike many readers want only a small yard to maintain...might even consider a condo, as in the summers we will mostly be gone and not wanting ot maintain a large area. We like a nice downtown available, prefer a college reasonably close for music, plays etc., and mountains close by (closer the better). I've read lots about Greeneville and it seems to meet many of our needs. My question is, what towns around the Greenville area are also worth looking at while we are in the area? Also, am curious as to when others of you visit a potential location, do you contact a real estate person to show you around the area, look at specfific homes that might meet your profile, or just 'wing it' and drive around the area? We want to make the most of it, but not totally be restricted by an agent as well. Ideas? Thanks to everyone for such helpful information here. Am new, but benefitting from your help, and hope to contribute as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 05:50 AM

17 posts, read 57,888 times
Hi! First of all, I would check out realor.com and start by looking at homes for sale in area(s) of interest. If there are a few that strick you fancy, then locate a realitor. Realitors don't like being used as site seeing agents as they mostly spend their time and gas trying to locate you a home. Otherwise just strick out on your own. Greeneville is a lovely small town but more in the valley than mountains as you describe and farm land. Johnson City is closer to the mountains and with ETSU, down town, small lawns or condos you described might be closer to what you are looking for. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:08 AM

7,279 posts, read 20,290,620 times
I agree with TNGal.
Only South and in town Greeneville is going to bring you close enough to the Mountains to enjoy them in any other way than a view. If you were in the Tri-Cities area, you would have easier access to more shopping, music, theaters (although, Greeneville did just recently get the Niswonger Performing arts center) and other things to do. It is also a shorter/easier access to 26/81. I can be in Abington VA in 45 minutes or Asheville NC in a hour from North JC, but from Greeneville it takes and hour and a half to Abington and 2 hours to Asheville.
You can find a nice condo/townhouse in North or East Johnson City in the 80k range very easy.
Just a thought. I used to live in Greene Co, but moved to Washington County, world of differences (both nice in there own rights) but much more available in Washington County and still plenty of room and feel like I am in the country here.
Just a thought.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:12 AM

86 posts, read 318,943 times
Default Also consider Kingsport

I suggest putting Kingsport / Bristol on you list to visit as well. I've sent you a private message with some more specific information for consideration.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:58 PM

39 posts, read 205,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I agree with TNGal.
Only South and in town Greeneville is going to bring you close enough to the Mountains to enjoy them in any other way than a view. If you were in the Tri-Cities area, you would have easier access to more shopping, music, theaters (although, Greeneville did just recently get the Niswonger Performing arts center) and other things to do. It is also a shorter/easier access to 26/81. I can be in Abington VA in 45 minutes or Asheville NC in a hour from North JC, but from Greeneville it takes and hour and a half to Abington and 2 hours to Asheville.
You can find a nice condo/townhouse in North or East Johnson City in the 80k range very easy.
Just a thought. I used to live in Greene Co, but moved to Washington County, world of differences (both nice in there own rights) but much more available in Washington County and still plenty of room and feel like I am in the country here.
Just a thought.

You must live in the Tri-Cities area so I figure I would ask you. When we were in Kingsport back in December, the town had a funny odor to it. I know it's from the Eastman Kodak plant. Does this odor stay in the town all the time? Or does it depend on wind direction. I kind of liked the area but my wife couldn't get past the odor thing. I'm guessing JC or Bristol doesn't have such an issue.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:54 PM

7,279 posts, read 20,290,620 times
Yes it is Eastman. I honestly don't know how to answer your question as I drive by it everyday to get to the office........Except for maybe once a month, I don't smell it anymore hahahahaha Everyone who just comes to town says they smell it on days I don't. People that grew up here are like me, maybe smell it slightly once in a while or not at all.
Not sure how that works, but that is the best answer I can give you. Anyone else have a better answer?
But no, If you can smell it, the only place you can is in Kingsport, and fairly close to the plant.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:11 PM

8 posts, read 30,270 times
I would like to thank everyone for their kind responses. You've given me something to think about, and I've been looking on line at a lot of places in Johnson City and Kingsport. Are their particular parts of JC to avoid or be attracted to? Again...you were all great..thanks! Will let you know how it goes!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:08 AM

17 posts, read 57,888 times
When reading the above post, it reminded me of when I was a kid. My father was an employee of TN Eastman and at Christmas time they has Santa and treats for the employees kids. I would say, daddy when you going to take me to "Stinksport" to see Santa".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee