Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 05:50 PM

57 posts, read 143,887 times

Advertisements

This move of course, will take place after my high school graduation in May 2010. I will be 18, and I was wondering what are some of the best cities in this state for a young person to live in?

Also, what's the average rent for apartments in each suggested city?

*I want to live in a city with low crime, that is a priority (hopefully I used that word right) of mine*

Also, I DO plan on going to college after working a few years, so a college town would be nice, but not really reccomended.

Last edited by kingpurpleblack; 11-28-2009 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 10:41 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Knoxville, Nashville, Cookeville and Johnson City all seem to be good college towns judging from the comments on city-data. First, start researching schools. Narrowing that down will be a great beginning because you will want to get into college as soon as possible before time slips away.

This is probably a good enough list to start with.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 06:43 AM..

Old 11-29-2009, 11:45 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Will you have a car or were you thinking of living somewhere you can rely on walking, riding, and public transportation?

Also it would make it easier to make suggestions if we knew a little more about what you want. Are you looking for a big city, someplace with a good downtown and clubs, and lots of restaurants? Are you looking for a city big enough to have some jobs, but not too big? A city close to the mountains, or convenient to hiking, fishing, etc?
As some of the other members of the forum like to ask- "what do you like to do when you're not working?" The answer to that would help us figure out what might be some good places for you.

You didn't ask, but it needs to be mentioned. Will you have enough money to cover several months of living expenses? Even minimum wage jobs can still be hard to get in some areas, it could take a couple of months to find a job/jobs. Renting a decent apartment on your own if you are planning on a minimum wage type job might be difficult too.
Not to discourage you, but just to give you an idea of what it's like, I have three kids that have gone out on their own in the last two years, and none of them is able to afford their own apartment. One splits $975 a month with two roommates in Knoxville, one splits $700 with one roommate in Murfreesboro (just outside Nashville), and the other rents one room in a house in Memphis for $300 a month.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:12 PM

57 posts, read 143,887 times
Yes, I do have a car, but being able to walk or bike to places would satisfy me also. I also like water, so I want to be close to a lake or river.

I'm hoping a couple of my friends/family members will move in with me also, due to the economy being so bad.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:43 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
It sounds like the Tri-Cities might fit your needs. There are several higher ed opportunities, 3 lakes, several rivers and a few walkable night life areas and pockets of young professional activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee