Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 PM

8 posts, read 29,185 times

Advertisements

My husband and I went through Humboldt today, and were impressed on first evaluation (better than brownsville-what we saw and visited). We were looking at something outside of Jackson that is affordable, has a few attractions, good shopping for staple supplies, and a very pleasant atmosphere. Any advice on Humboldt? Thanks so much!! Really enjoyed our time in West Tennessee today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 07:45 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
I've never been a fan of Humboldt. Apparently, lots of other folks feel that same way, thus explaining why Humboldt has steadily lost population since 1990.

If you're interested in Gibson County and quick access to Jackson, I would recommend that you visit Medina or even Milan, both of which have better schools and lower crime rates than Humboldt.

Brownsville is--imo--yuck. (Locals rarely pronounce the 's', btw.)

Best wishes.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:00 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times
Yeah, not a fan of Humboldt either.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:16 AM
kbg

223 posts, read 345,842 times
Try the areas south or to the east of Jackson, there is nice locations about 20 min. away if you prefer more remote area or if you are leaning more towards a small city look into Henderson it is a quite college town of 5,000 with the avg. age of locals at 27yrs. old and much more appealing than Humboldt.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Avoid Humboldt like the plague!!

Old 10-15-2008, 06:46 PM

8 posts, read 29,185 times
Default Thanks & More Questions! *SORRY&

Wow, thank you all so much! I understand now, after doing some more research and a kind note. I will definately look elsewhere, but really like west tennessee. What small towns that you all may/may not have mentioned that have good employment? My husband works for Pepsi and I used to be at UPS, we'll probably look for something in that sector to start us off. We're still students but going online. Thanks again!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:23 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
Jackson is going to be your best bet for employment (assuming you're not interested in Memphis). Jackson's public schools are a mess, so quite a few people have moved outside Madison County in order to get their kids into decent public schools. If you want to work in Jackson but want to live in a smaller town with decent (not great; there are not really any great school systems in West Tennessee) schools, I would suggest that you consider: 1) Henderson, which is in neighboring Chester County and only 15 minutes from Jackson; 2) Milan, which is in neighboring Gibson County and only 20 minutes from Jackson; or 3) Medina, which is also in Gibson County and a little closer to Jackson.

Another option in Lexington. My nephew and niece go to Westover, which is a combined elementary and intermediate school. They love it there. The only problem is Lexington High School. My nephew is supposed to start there next year. However, my sister plans to drive him to Scotts Hill High School, which is supposed to be a better, safer school. If you live in Henderson County and are zoned for Lexington High School, apparently your high schooler can attend Scotts Hill as long as you can provide your own transportation. (Since it's a pretty long drive, you'd want your high schooler to drive him/herself probably.) Anyway, that's another option.

If you're up to a longer drive, you can really expand your options. I've known people to commute to Jackson from Selmer, Savannah, Atwood, and Huntingdon -- all of which are nice, small towns with decent schools.

If you can afford it, you might consider living in Jackson and send your children to Jackson Preparatory School, which has very low tuition and offers a good education in a safe environment. There are some other private schools in Jackson, but they are costly.

Best wishes.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,141 times
Myself and my fiance are wanting to move to Tenneseee, my parents and kids live there. My fiance will be transferring to the Save-A-Lot D.C. however wanting to live outside of Humboldt closer to Chapel Hill not further than 30 minutes though. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee