Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:53 PM

86 posts, read 414,552 times

Advertisements

I live in the Knoxville area and know nothing about "getaway" vacations for the family. I'd like to go somewhere w/in 3-4 hours from Knox. I have an almost 6-year old and almost 2-year old.

Where is fun for the kids and family oriented to visit?

P.S. We've been to Chattanooga and Nashville. We don't mind traveling to another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 02:07 PM

60 posts, read 308,644 times
Go to Asheville and see the Biltmore House. On I-40, it's about 2 hours. My kids were saying, "We're going to see a huge house? Big deal!" But AFTER, they were quite impressed!

Lexington, KY is also a beautiful area to see the horse farms. It's right up I-75, and it's a gorgeous drive through the mountains.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
You've probably been to Dollywood, right? We like to take a weekend and just stay in the area. We just love Dollywood!

I'd love to know what is the closest beach to Knoxville. I still haven't figure that out, yet.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:34 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevansmom View Post
I live in the Knoxville area and know nothing about "getaway" vacations for the family. I'd like to go somewhere w/in 3-4 hours from Knox. I have an almost 6-year old and almost 2-year old.

Where is fun for the kids and family oriented to visit?

P.S. We've been to Chattanooga and Nashville. We don't mind traveling to another state.
As hiknapster said, Dollywood is hard to beat. My nieces and nephews in NC go to Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge quite a bit and love it.

Also, Atlanta has lots of kid-friendly places, particularly the Georgia Aquarium, the largest aquarium in the world.

In SW NC you can take your kids on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad. They have a special train ride for kids. I guess that's probably for warmer weather.

Maybe your kids are too young for this, but the space museum in Huntsville AL is also a lot of fun.

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:59 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
I agree with hikn & JMT, Dollywood is Awesome! My kids LOVE it. There is also Rock City by Chat. There is "The lost sea" in Sweetwater and lots of other caves around too,in Townsend, Sevierville, Dandridge, Bristol, VA. My kids love doing those tours and so do I, not bad for $7or $8 per Adult for 3 or 4 hours of interesting tours. I hear the aquarium in Chat is great too, we like the one in Gatlinburg. There is also a neat park in the corner of KY/TN and VA. It is the Cumberland Gap State Park. You travel up 25E and go though a huge tunnel with big fans in it, my boys loved that. There are trails and things to do and see, and you can stand in 3 states at one time, kinda cool.
Go on TN state web site, there are all kinds of thing listed there under the visitor section. If you do go to any neat place in TN, please don't forget to give us a trip report when you get back!

Old 02-25-2007, 09:40 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You've probably been to Dollywood, right? We like to take a weekend and just stay in the area. We just love Dollywood!

I'd love to know what is the closest beach to Knoxville. I still haven't figure that out, yet.
Hipnapster, the closest beaches are those in the Wilmington, NC area. Stay on I-40 East until it ends.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:46 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,519 times
If you visit the Lexington, KY area don't miss Kentucky Horse Park. And in Louisville a ride on the Louisville Belle steamboat is a must.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:45 AM

141 posts, read 981,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Hipnapster, the closest beaches are those in the Wilmington, NC area. Stay on I-40 East until it ends.
Lord, NO! North Carolina is VERY long.

The closest beaches distance-wise are probably the barrier islands around Charleston. Edisto Beach, Hunting Island, Isle of Palms, Kiawah, Folly Beach are all 6-6.5 hours.

Wilmington is 7.5.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:04 PM

53 posts, read 149,152 times
Default Beaches in East TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
There are beaches in TN state parks and reservoirs. I know around here boone lake dam and cherokee reservoir have one. I've seen more on the TVA website and tn state park website.

The beach at boone is small, and the water is sand, great for kids - but the "beach" area is all grass (which was very weird for me to see having grown up around lake erie and living at sandy beaches during the summer) but it's very pretty and relaxing...picnic areas, grills, etc. Free to swim, free to park, open to the public. Can't beat that.

Haven't been to cherokee one in Mooresburg yet...just found out about it..now just trying to find out if there's free parking or an entrance fee...

But if you're looking for beaches, look at Tennessee Valley Authority website (tva.gov i think) and TN state park official website. (They're different - the parks are different.)

Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 13,734 times
If you haven't taken your kids to the drive thru safari off exit 403 Strawberry Plains, ( circle g) you are missing out. We love driving thru and feeding the animals as they stick their heads in my car. Also, yyou can ride a camel through or take a safari bus. It is so much fun. There is also another one and it is briarwood near bristol. Also, if you haven't taken your kids to Imes it's in downtown Knoxville near tshe old baptist hospital and Shriners. These are great take a picnic and enjoy your kids day trips.... also, the lost sea easy drive and fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee