Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:00 AM

53 posts, read 174,662 times

Advertisements

Like hiknapster (my best friend) said try Knoxville or just outside out Knoxville . Stay away from Newport or Cocke County. I am just the opposite I love the country. I like Jefferson county or Sevier county. I would not move to Sevierville, Pigeon Forge or Gatlingburg only because of the traffic during tourist season. I love to go to the National Park and hike in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 08:01 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teardrop1955 View Post
Like hiknapster (my best friend) said try Knoxville or just outside out Knoxville . Stay away from Newport or Cocke County. I am just the opposite I love the country. I like Jefferson county or Sevier county. I would not move to Sevierville, Pigeon Forge or Gatlingburg only because of the traffic during tourist season. I love to go to the National Park and hike in the area.
Yep. Teardrop wants me to hike with her.

By the way, how's work today?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:50 AM

46 posts, read 170,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I think Live Oak must be president of the east Tennessee Welcome Wagon! lol

Sounds like you all need a family vacation to the area and check things out. Bring the grandparents too! Spend a week or more looking around and talking to people.
Cadiz is a beautiful area. I used to go up there to help a friend work on his house while we were both stationed at Ft. Campbell. Lots of beautiful big homes and lawns. It was a little crowded for my taste then and I imagine even more now but a great place for kids and good schools.

I don't mean to sound negative. I have seen more than a few people move to my area who were heart broken to discover the reality of the area after they lived here for awhile. Some so broken hearted they sold their place and moved. NOT what we wanted to see. They seemed like real nice folks. We would love to have some friendly, open minded, and good hearted neighbors move in.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:39 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Quote:
If you are planning on living in rural areas, you can cross off your list right off the bat:

good schools
decent jobs
family friendly areas
friendly neighbors
I've found this to be totally inaccurate. Well, except the jobs. I have to drive 2 hours each way to work. However, my children came from a school in SW FL that had a multi million dollar a year budget and it was horrid!! The one here is a shoe string budget and they've done spectacularly well. They love the school, the administration, and the other students. It's a very closely knit group and community.

We live in a very rural area that is so small it doesn't even rank for a page on City Data. Less than 200 people. We're far outnumbered by cows. But it's very family friendly. Most of the people living in our area have children. And the neighbors are fabulous. Within a week of moving in our home we had almost every single person in town stop in to say hello, bring us gift baskets of baked goodies, and offered to help us move in. They provided us with tons of info on who was the best doctor and pediatrician, the best vet, the best place to shop for groceries, the best person to call for handyman or electrical work, etc. Without them we'd have had a very hard time making a go of this.

My suggestion is to bring your family here for vacation. Check out some areas you like. The eastern part of the state sounds like it would be great for you. The more northern area has mountains that are great for hiking. The more southern areas like Chattanooga have tons of water for boating and skiing. Take tons of pictures. If you and your husband and children like it bring the photos home to the rest of the family. Show them how happy you all look here. How can they not support something that makes you that happy?

Old 10-21-2008, 10:22 AM

18 posts, read 47,656 times
Default Thanks for all the great advice and info

I just wanted to thank all of you for valuable insight. You have all been so helpful.

Although i like to do my part in family happiness and "steering" when possible, we have learned to let God take us where He believes we should be. . ... I sure hope it's Tennessee though!

Thanks again!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:15 PM

630 posts, read 2,432,215 times
Default Patience...

Sometimes, the Lord is slow to answer and it's really hard for us to wait.
We've been trying to move back to Tennessee for the last 3 years.
Many trips back and forth. A lot of researching, emailing, faxing, and talking on the phone.

In our case, my roots are in Tennessee and so are a lot of my family members.
Plus, I have a friend that lives in the town that we will be moving to, which makes it much easier.

What we will be leaving behind here is grown children, grandchildren and some good friends.

Our 9 year old loves Tennessee, and one of her best friends lives in Smyrna.
Talking on the phone isn't as much fun as actually being together.

Our decision to move was done three years ago, however, things don't always work out the way that we want them to, and now in retrospect, we can see why.

Instead of jumping at moving, we have had more time to plan and get ready.

Lots of prayer going into this, and we are hoping that everything will finally fall together in '09.

We'll be back down in April meeting with the Realtor, and looking at properties. I've already found a loan officer, and things are slowly progressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl View Post
we have learned to let God take us where He believes we should be. . ... I sure hope it's Tennessee though!

Thanks again!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:22 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
However, my children came from a school in SW FL that had a multi million dollar a year budget and it was horrid!!
Funny. Southwest Florida schools make almost anything look better. We moved after five weeks of our kid in Kindergarten.

By the way, they don't have the budget they use to, but you've probably heard.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:51 PM

286 posts, read 1,231,962 times
I agree - if they want to get out on the open road and drive through the smaller towns of TN, go for it. For the first step, anyways, move to one of the bigger cities in TN, even Nashville or Chattanooga - I know that they want to live in East TN, but East TN isn't not too far from Nash Vegas, plus, Middle TN is growing (I'm a middle TN'er) and there are lots of hiking trails and places to camp, fish, etc.

Chicago is just so different from TN. I can't explain it through this website, it's just something you have to experience. The other members are right about jobs in small towns. I mean, you're gonna move from Chicago to a town that just got a Sonic two years ago? I'm from a small town, and it's fine with me, but for someone who has been in Chicago, it may be so slow they don't know what to do with themselves.

The beauty of small TN towns can't be matched - they are so beautful, esp. in the changing seasons. But, you also have to live day to day, and if you're both needing to work, put the kids through school, etc. you'll need to be in a bigger city within TN. You can still explore the areas around Knoxville, Nashville, etc. and have the best of both worlds! Good luck

Old 11-01-2008, 03:28 AM

17 posts, read 51,879 times
Don't forget Middle Tennessee. There are still a lot of outdoor activities, plus you still have Nashville as a big city to remind you of the rat-race. I have been from end-to-end and love TN. I lived there for about 10 years and will probably retire there one day. The rural people are great and very friendly. As for schools, we have found that more money does not equal better education. As with all schools, parental participation and good communication goes a long, long way. The rural areas will provide better opportunities for you to interact with the teachers and assume a greater role in the life of your child. I'm not sure this can be classified as a negative thing. The important thing is to listen to your family. If they have reservations, then it probably won't work. That's a big move that requires a big commitment. Everyone has to be onboard! Good luck!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:22 AM

46 posts, read 170,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I think Live Oak must be president of the east Tennessee Welcome Wagon! lol

Sounds like you all need a family vacation to the area and check things out. Bring the grandparents too! Spend a week or more looking around and talking to people.

Kygman,

Don't take my word for it. Have a read for yourself on the Wayne County News and tell me what your impression is?

Wayne County News - [domain blocked due to spam]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee