Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:55 PM

52 posts, read 154,433 times

Advertisements

my week...

(also posted in the snow thread figured I'd share..)

here in eastern ohio (and part of the reason im even looking at TN on here is the weather!!).
lets see...

we've gotten several days of sub-zero lows and single diget highs..
a few days of 3+in of snow...
and the best of all was this week...

monday..cold..dry

tuesday..cold..6in of snow (alot here..usually 4 is max in a day)...THEN 1in of ICE..lost power at home (4pm)..no heat..no water (well)

wed..still cold..2in of snow ontop of what we already had..STILL no power..got a little genny from work..and cut the hole in the roof from the livingroom to put the chimey in for the woodburner..(read gap in roof..but somewhat warm...below zero at night ALL week)

thursday..yup..cold..more snow..about 2in..driftin and blowing..NO POWER..runnin off a new generator I bought...still no water..and got the fireplace sealed on the roof..in a SNOWSTORM..

friday...yep still cold..power FINNALY came back on at 3pm..did the dance of JOY..and dishes/laundry...thank God we have campin stuff..2 lanterns..2 diffrent grills..(one coleman fuel..other is a portable propane grill..so we had food..and got water from the store to cook with...)

so we were without water/main power for 4 days...no furnace..but we did get the woodburner in..and now have a generator..and I've got it hooked up so the generator will run the well..(that friday right as the power came back on)..and I had told the wife when I went to work tuesday (she didnt have work..they closed in anticipation of the storm) to fill all the 5 gal buckets (to flush the potty) and get all the laundry dishes done before the power went out..which luckily was AFTER all that got done...I worked from tues mornin till wed afternoon...the wife/kid went to the neighbors cuz their woodburner was already working..and they got a generator in the fall...

all in all..8 out of 10 for lousy weeks..(at least nobody died..and nothing burned down..that would have gotten a 10)..

I spent 2hrs lastnight plowin the driveway and the road with the 4 wheeler (private drive..no township plows touch it!)..but its clean..and everybody can get out and in...(im the first house on the street..but figured since I did the first bit..might as well get it done for everybody else..I actually LIKE my neighbors..

I GOTTA GET OUT OF HERE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 06:25 PM

12 posts, read 35,332 times
I know where your coming from, I'm up in Northern Wisconsin and that sounds like a normal spring up here, We have had 18 straight days of below zero temps and wind chills of up to 45 below zero, It never got above zero for daytime highs. light snow up here is 6 to 8 inches. The first year we moved here we had 220 inches of snow that winter, and I knew then that I made a mistake. I to am getting to old for these harsh winters and have been looking toward retiring to northeast tennessee. We have 3 seasons and they are "July, August and Winter". I only get to ride my Harley about 5 months a year, and 2 of those months are wearing long underwear.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer View Post
I know where your coming from, I'm up in Northern Wisconsin and that sounds like a normal spring up here, We have had 18 straight days of below zero temps and wind chills of up to 45 below zero, It never got above zero for daytime highs. light snow up here is 6 to 8 inches. The first year we moved here we had 220 inches of snow that winter, and I knew then that I made a mistake. I to am getting to old for these harsh winters and have been looking toward retiring to northeast tennessee. We have 3 seasons and they are "July, August and Winter". I only get to ride my Harley about 5 months a year, and 2 of those months are wearing long underwear.
yep...I got a buddy that lives in reeseville (etween milwalkee and madison)..and im CONVINCED the lack of sunlight/green and over abundance of snow/cold does something to their brains up there!!

Old 02-18-2007, 07:38 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Exclamation well-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioT View Post
my week...

(also posted in the snow thread figured I'd share..)

here in eastern ohio (and part of the reason im even looking at TN on here is the weather!!).
lets see...

we've gotten several days of sub-zero lows and single diget highs..
a few days of 3+in of snow...
and the best of all was this week...

monday..cold..dry

tuesday..cold..6in of snow (alot here..usually 4 is max in a day)...THEN 1in of ICE..lost power at home (4pm)..no heat..no water (well)

wed..still cold..2in of snow ontop of what we already had..STILL no power..got a little genny from work..and cut the hole in the roof from the livingroom to put the chimey in for the woodburner..(read gap in roof..but somewhat warm...below zero at night ALL week)

thursday..yup..cold..more snow..about 2in..driftin and blowing..NO POWER..runnin off a new generator I bought...still no water..and got the fireplace sealed on the roof..in a SNOWSTORM..

friday...yep still cold..power FINNALY came back on at 3pm..did the dance of JOY..and dishes/laundry...thank God we have campin stuff..2 lanterns..2 diffrent grills..(one coleman fuel..other is a portable propane grill..so we had food..and got water from the store to cook with...)

so we were without water/main power for 4 days...no furnace..but we did get the woodburner in..and now have a generator..and I've got it hooked up so the generator will run the well..(that friday right as the power came back on)..and I had told the wife when I went to work tuesday (she didnt have work..they closed in anticipation of the storm) to fill all the 5 gal buckets (to flush the potty) and get all the laundry dishes done before the power went out..which luckily was AFTER all that got done...I worked from tues mornin till wed afternoon...the wife/kid went to the neighbors cuz their woodburner was already working..and they got a generator in the fall...

all in all..8 out of 10 for lousy weeks..(at least nobody died..and nothing burned down..that would have gotten a 10)..

I spent 2hrs lastnight plowin the driveway and the road with the 4 wheeler (private drive..no township plows touch it!)..but its clean..and everybody can get out and in...(im the first house on the street..but figured since I did the first bit..might as well get it done for everybody else..I actually LIKE my neighbors..

I GOTTA GET OUT OF HERE!!
We have snow here right now (Washington County) and it's 29 degrees.

sunny

Old 02-18-2007, 07:57 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Please dont blow off Ohio just because you got some record lows. The below zero only lasted 2 days, I checked the history. You have highs forcasted to be in the 40s with lows of about 30. Winter is going out with a bang and spring is on its way. The highs of around 45 is not bad at all. Its 50 degrees outside now and 70 in my unheated bedroom. It got to about 37-42 for a low last night outside and was 66 in my unheated bedroom. You have it a little colder than that but not bad most of the time. I would love to live in Ohio, its a great state with very affordable housing and Ohio's climate is great in the spring/fall

Old 02-18-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Please dont blow off Ohio just because you got some record lows. The below zero only lasted 2 days, I checked the history. You have highs forcasted to be in the 40s with lows of about 30. Winter is going out with a bang and spring is on its way. The highs of around 45 is not bad at all. Its 50 degrees outside now and 70 in my unheated bedroom. It got to about 37-42 for a low last night outside and was 66 in my unheated bedroom. You have it a little colder than that but not bad most of the time. I would love to live in Ohio, its a great state with very affordable housing and Ohio's climate is great in the spring/fall
30 yrs says diffrent...
I need a change also...
oh..and the wife is from the snowbelt around cleveland..she says no snow is GOOD snow

Old 02-18-2007, 08:26 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Then youll want to live in south Texas. Affordable and you dont care for snow or freezing cold. I am from south FL and dont like the crime, insanely expensive houses and 9 month hot summers. The weather is nice now but itll be 80 for a high in a few days and ill be back to sweating and turning the a/c on

Whats so bad about east Ohio anyway? My friend says its the best location and the winters are fairly mild with little snow. Its safe, low crime and houses are extremely affordable, you got it good man

Old 02-18-2007, 08:30 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Ohio must be better than Florida if he's actually helping his neighbors.
"I spent 2hrs lastnight plowin the driveway and the road with the 4 wheeler (private drive..no township plows touch it!)..but its clean..and everybody can get out and in...(im the first house on the street..but figured since I did the first bit..might as well get it done for everybody else..I actually LIKE my neighbors.."

In south Florida you're supposed to sue your neighbors and call the zoning department to harass them. Good thing it doesn't snow in Miami. Once people come to Florida they become as selfish and deviant as possible. Hopefully the Floridians comming to Tennessee lose the attitude or leave. My mother was from Dayton Ohio and she didn't complain much about winters. When their home was hit by a tornado friends came by to help repair and that's something that stuck in my mind. Who knows I may move to the buckeye state myself...

Old 02-18-2007, 09:57 PM

390 posts, read 1,701,513 times
I don't know, when things get rough, I think you will find people helping everywhere. We are in Broward County here in S. Florida and after Hurr Wilma when we didn't have power for a week (and many people for longer), all of the neighbors came together to help each other. Whoever had a grill cooked, whoever had extra ice or water gave it, whoever knew of a store selling perishables bought extra for others, and we all spent the evenings sitting in lawn chairs outside talking and getting to know each other (which just does not happen in most neighborhoods here in S. Fl). That was in the neighborhood, and then our church was out helping people clean up and rebuild. I saw more humanity here during that time than I ever see during any other time.

Of course it did not take long for people to get back to being rude in line and mean on the roads! I have only been in S. Florida for 3 1/2 years and I still cannot get used to the horrible behavior on the road. I am amazed when people are honking and making gestures at me for pulling over for an ambulance!

Anyhow it is going down to 40 here tonight, and we are in the tropics! It is just the coldest part of winter wherever you are. Where I am from in Western NY, my family has been digging out of some serious snow, as well! Many, many feet in a short timeframe! So glad I am not there!!!!!

Old 02-19-2007, 03:20 AM

30 posts, read 82,285 times
Hey at least you don't live in Redfield, NY where they got 12 feet of snow in 5 days. Then got another 3 feet on top of that and they are STILL getting lake effect snow.

Here in Albany we got almost 3 feet in 24 hours. Tennessee here I come! And I'll be there in about 16 hours. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee