Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tennessee relocation prompts questioning of religious yet unwelcoming of newcomers, reasons for moving include eliminate high taxes, elevated property costs, cost of living, increased home owner’s insurance

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 07:25 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
I first would like to say I wish some here wouldnt say ALL new jersey peolpe are rude and pushy, we are from jersey and cant stand rude ,pushy peolpe! I would then like to say I would love to have neighbors you actually see, talk to and help them or us. Where I live you dont know your neighbors, or maybe one. And to get friendly, forget it!I would love a neghborhood you describe!!!!!TN BOUND! I HATE where I am, you could die in your home and no one would notice you werent coming out. how sad
Amen. Again I say, Amen.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:33 AM

243 posts, read 887,290 times
Talking Star of David

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Well, you could always wear a star of David necklace. But then you'd have to deal with folks touching the top of your head, feeling for horns... (Really happened to a secretary of mine!!! But not in TN.)
What is going on here? I was raised a protestant Evangalical in fact, but I have Jewish blood from both sides of the family that goes way back. My mother was raised a baptist and my father Catholic. So now I am the Devil because I have Jewish blood. Well so be it!!! Now I know what Tennessee is REALLY all about!!!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 08:57 AM

60 posts, read 344,635 times
Why don't we cut to the chase here. Very few people would be bothered by the "Where do you go to church?" question if it was always offered in a spirit of neighborliness. If it was always about, "Welcome to the community, this church is where many of us come together..." then few would object. But for those of us who are not Christian or evangelical, the question often comes off as threatening. I am Jewish and not very religious and I consider religion to be a private thing. Am I going to be judged for not accepting the religion of those who ask? I find it rude when fellow Jews start inquiring about the potential Jewishness of others in largely Jewish areas, especially when they "look" Jewish or have "Jewish names." Is there something wrong if they aren't Jewish? Of course not. So, with respect to the religion question in general, is it just good neighborliness? Or is it about bigotry against non-Christians and non-evangelicals (or in the case of Jewish neighborhoods, bigotry against "goyim")? I honestly don't know sometimes. And it's not just Tennessee or the South, of course, where this question comes up. I just don't want people making judgments because somebody is or is not a member of a dominant religion.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrod View Post
Why don't we cut to the chase here. Very few people would be bothered by the "Where do you go to church?" question if it was always offered in a spirit of neighborliness. If it was always about, "Welcome to the community, this church is where many of us come together..." then few would object. But for those of us who are not Christian or evangelical, the question often comes off as threatening. I am Jewish and not very religious and I consider religion to be a private thing. Am I going to be judged for not accepting the religion of those who ask? I find it rude when fellow Jews start inquiring about the potential Jewishness of others in largely Jewish areas, especially when they "look" Jewish or have "Jewish names." Is there something wrong if they aren't Jewish? Of course not. So, with respect to the religion question in general, is it just good neighborliness? Or is it about bigotry against non-Christians and non-evangelicals (or in the case of Jewish neighborhoods, bigotry against "goyim")? I honestly don't know sometimes. And it's not just Tennessee or the South, of course, where this question comes up. I just don't want people making judgments because somebody is or is not a member of a dominant religion.
Here!Here! I am not religious but if I were I would choose the Jewish religion today, as it makes since to me. The evengelical that I was brought up is not what is known today. In fact those evangelicals today is absolutely not the same evangelical religion. But enough is enough. I am learning what Tennessee is all about. That's good. :

Old 02-20-2007, 11:05 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,338 times
I'm not a religious person though i was raised catholic and fell out of it when i moved from home . my husband was brought up jewish though he also fell out of it when he moved from home. (both moms pushed us into it) I just don't know why it's such a big deal what religion you are or whether your accepted or not. it's a shame to see on the news that there are priests out there accused of doing terrible things to little kids or stealing the church money. I don't know about you but it sure makes me upset to think you can trust such a person who is supposed to be preaching right and wrong and then they do things like this. It's quite disturbing to me. It took my own mom a long time to finally accept my marriage but to this day i can tell she's still upset and it hurts me to know my mom doesn't accept the fact that i'm quite happy with him. The same thing goes with the feeling of not being accepted to a specific church. In my opinion, if we all just become good people and do good for others, we'll all be alright regardless.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:58 AM

408 posts, read 1,977,783 times
I'm not sure where all these people badgering others about church are hiding, but I don't get bothered all the time. I've lived in TN my whole life. The last time I remember being asked to church was by a friend in high school that wanted me to go to a youth group party. I was asked once what church I attend by a current co-worker because I didn't know what De Coloris meant (I still don't). My neighbors are missionaries and didn't even invite us to church though they knew we were new to the area. I know a lot of people who don't go to church and none of us are badgered about it.
Usually people are being nice if they are asking you to their church or just inquiring what church you attend. Some people may get out of hand like someone posted about the neighbor that bugged them a lot about it. It is in the bible that one is supposed to spread the word and if you have an opportunity to help a lost soul and pass it up you may be held accountable for that. So most of these people are probably just doing what they feel is right. Or just because church is such a big part of their lives they are opening up and trying to share that with you.
Unless someone makes a comment or does something stupid like that post about looking for horns, then how do you know someone is "judging" you? Maybe you just feel they are judging you for some internal reason. Like I know some people who take everything said personal- even if it is not meant to be taken personally.
Another thing on these posts is to look at who is saying you will be bombarded in TN about religion. Are they living here now? And if so, were they only asked and then the subject was dropped or were they beat over the head with a bible?
That can also be said for the part about not feeling welcome due to people thinking just because you come from out of state (esp. FL) that you will want to make TN what it is there. For me it is usually hard to separate who some people are on here until I see several posts and something starts sticking out about them. I think there are really only a couple of people die hard about making people feel unwelcome. Some of the others may just second the idea that they don't want this to turn into the new FL. That doesn't mean they don't want you here or that they are assuming you will change it.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:32 PM

Talking Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
I'm not sure where all these people badgering others about church are hiding, but I don't get bothered all the time. I've lived in TN my whole life. The last time I remember being asked to church was by a friend in high school that wanted me to go to a youth group party. I was asked once what church I attend by a current co-worker because I didn't know what De Coloris meant (I still don't). My neighbors are missionaries and didn't even invite us to church though they knew we were new to the area. I know a lot of people who don't go to church and none of us are badgered about it.
Usually people are being nice if they are asking you to their church or just inquiring what church you attend. Some people may get out of hand like someone posted about the neighbor that bugged them a lot about it. It is in the bible that one is supposed to spread the word and if you have an opportunity to help a lost soul and pass it up you may be held accountable for that. So most of these people are probably just doing what they feel is right. Or just because church is such a big part of their lives they are opening up and trying to share that with you.
Unless someone makes a comment or does something stupid like that post about looking for horns, then how do you know someone is "judging" you? Maybe you just feel they are judging you for some internal reason. Like I know some people who take everything said personal- even if it is not meant to be taken personally.
Another thing on these posts is to look at who is saying you will be bombarded in TN about religion. Are they living here now? And if so, were they only asked and then the subject was dropped or were they beat over the head with a bible?
That can also be said for the part about not feeling welcome due to people thinking just because you come from out of state (esp. FL) that you will want to make TN what it is there. For me it is usually hard to separate who some people are on here until I see several posts and something starts sticking out about them. I think there are really only a couple of people die hard about making people feel unwelcome. Some of the others may just second the idea that they don't want this to turn into the new FL. That doesn't mean they don't want you here or that they are assuming you will change it.
I and all the world know what chruch is, so no one needs to spread to word!!I don't attend church and I am not a Lost soul!!! I have been educated on the state of Tennessee through this post. Now, enough said about religion. Let's drop the subject. There are no winners here.

Last edited by klosk; 02-20-2007 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: mis-spelling

Old 02-20-2007, 01:44 PM

63 posts, read 294,183 times
Default Transplants

Hahahahaaa jump in dont jump in... jump in...dont jump it.. okay I'm in. I am from NY -- I am from NJ I am relocating to TN and I dont care who likes it or not. Rude people are everywhere you go - not just NJ/NY/Fl...I have very friendly neighbors now and I expect friendly neighbors when I get there Pleez dont dissapoint me . Shucks my husband went to every house on our block dragging me and my dtr along introducing us to our neighbors (I promise I wont let him do that when we get there -we will wait for TN hospitality that we've heard so much about... and YES somebody better invite me to their church! I may not come but would love the invitation!

Old 02-20-2007, 01:49 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
I believe "de colores" refers to cultural/racial unity or tolerance, or something like that. I used to see it on bumper stickers all the time.

Now the big bumper sticker we see all the time is a rainbow.

Last edited by bbkaren; 02-20-2007 at 02:19 PM..

Old 02-20-2007, 02:22 PM

Talking Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I believe "de colores" refers to cultural/racial unity or tolerance, or something like that. I used to see it on bumper stickers all the time.

Now the big bumper sticker we see all the time is a rainbow.
You know what the rainbow stands for, don't ya??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee