Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:38 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live~Oak View Post
The absolutely beautiful Cumberland Rim hills and scenery. DEFINITELY NOT the people, jobs, or atmosphere unless you like living under domestic terrorist as a sheriff and a xenophobic racist, good ol'e boy system who hates "outsiders". We enjoy a few good friends and God's country and stay to ourselves for the most part.
Wow, your town sounds like torture. Why not move? Welcoming, friendly towns far outnumber the mess you describe. You must really love your land there! Hope it improves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 02:31 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Thumbs up Great Church Parish

Looked about 5 towns around lake, but found a great newer Church parish.
Thought it was a resort not a prior farm property.
2nd would be affordable near by lake access for boating. Cove in rear ,
launch ramp down road, great fishing, scenery clean water.

.......July 4th Weekend, Private sandBar swim. House on hilltop front of boat.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:39 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Gorgeous!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:50 PM

203 posts, read 766,255 times
Before our trip out there in March - the cost of living, population density, and the schools. After our trip - the scenery, the people, the whole atmosphere. We are still in California and don't know when we will move, but I have my heart set on Cookeville - and I always get what I want..... ;-)

Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 PM

235 posts, read 774,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoGA View Post
Before our trip out there in March - the cost of living, population density, and the schools. After our trip - the scenery, the people, the whole atmosphere. We are still in California and don't know when we will move, but I have my heart set on Cookeville - and I always get what I want..... ;-)

So much of all the things Ya'll have said sound so much like us!!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:53 AM

46 posts, read 170,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Wow, your town sounds like torture. Why not move? Welcoming, friendly towns far outnumber the mess you describe. You must really love your land there! Hope it improves
Here are a few reasons:

Old 10-31-2008, 12:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Friendly people, politeness, slower pace, jobs, cost of living.

Coming from southwest Florida, east Tennessee was a breath of fresh air.

We picked Knoxville due to the job listings, although we initially wanted to move to Chattanooga.

We rented in the north Knox County/Anderson County area. Hated it. Put up with that nightmare for three years. Let me put it this way. I'm a country girl from New England. I had no idea that people like that existed. To say that they were not nice is a major understatement.

Finally, bought a house in North Knoxville. Love it. Great elementary school. Nice people. We have lots of friends, something that we didn't have in Florida. Monetarily, we have done very well. Very pretty area.

Whether or not you go to church is not an issue. The same goes for whether you are a Democrat or Republican, black, white or purple, gay or straight, etc.

I never knew that life could be this good.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:06 PM

10 posts, read 23,850 times
[SIZE=3]I was born in Virginia. When I was two years old, my parents moved to Detroit area of Michigan. When I moved from my parent’s house, I lived in the Minneapolis area of Minnesota for three months, the Atlantic City area of New Jersey for thirty months, and now have been living in the Orlando area of Florida for twenty – eight years. I am the type of person who looks into the future and plans about four to six years ahead of time. In choosing for retirement, I wanted a place that had four seasons, I really miss autumn. I also wanted a good cost of living. If you use the Internet to research cost of living, Tennessee tends to be in the top five for the lowest cost of living. A good view was on my list of requirements. I considered anything east of Chattanooga; okay maybe a little west of Chattanooga because I really like South Pittsburg. The rest of my requirements were: 1. minimum of three acres (did not want to be too close to neighbors, 2. a spot level enough to build a house, 3. able to have a four bedroom house minimum for septic or sewer system, 4. no homeowner associations, 5. no environmental issues 6. no pollution issues, 7. nothing blocking the southern exposure, 8. no less than thirty minutes to grocery store and hospital, 9. one lane road with shoulders on both sides or two lane road with any shoulders (what is the deal with one lane roads with no shoulders), and 10. watch utilities (did not want excessive fees for electric). On my seventh trip reviewing properties and after reviewing over four hundred properties, I found a property in Fall Branch that meet all my requirements.[/SIZE]

Old 11-01-2008, 10:50 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfried View Post
For the ones that have moved to Tennessee,from another state,what made you move to the area you moved to? Was it the people,jobs,atmosphere?
Atmosphere!
I am only moving from one area of TN (Memphis) to another (tri-cities), does my answer still count?
Some of my criteria for moving:
Looked for an area with a lot of outdoor activities available and temps were not so extreme as to make those activities unenjoyablefor a large part of the year, yet somewhere with true four season weather. Gorgeous scenery is a huge bonus. Looking out my window at the glorious fall foliage right now is heaven!
Low cost of living and affordable housing. Living near a state border means I can take adantage of no state income tax and save on sales tax by shopping in VA.
I was tired of living in the big city with all it's crime, traffic, and other problems, yet I still wanted to have some of those big city amenities within easy driving distance. Plenty of restaurants, good shopping, a variety of entertainment and cultural events, good healthcare, all are within easy reach here, and I'm within a half day drive of several larger cities too.
And like other people have said, when I visited here it just felt "right", like I had finally found a place that fit me, that I could call home.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:00 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfried View Post
For the ones that have moved to Tennessee,from another state,what made you move to the area you moved to? Was it the people,jobs,atmosphere?
Retired - The things I like to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee