Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:24 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,072,019 times

Advertisements

So what does everyone do for work to survive in TN? I along with another member have been trying to find out some examples of wages in TN. the statistics page is all we keep getting referred to but that doesn't help us and we are repeatedly told to expect less but how much less? I mean we want to know what kind of pay we would get for example if we had to be a cashier in a grocery store, or a receptionist at an office, a nurse, a medical assistant, an auto mechanic or whatever else. Just wondering what everyone else does for work in TN. I can't imagine everyone in TN is retired. Yes i work at home but I also have a degree as a Medical Assistant to fall back on and it would be nice to know the wages. I've already researched that housing and things like that are cheaper but if the job pay is just as bad it may just balance out or it may put a strain on us but that's just something I can't seem to find out. We're told TN is beautiful, the people are nice but that doesn't pay our way to survive. I'll even start with examples in another state: Medical Assistant where i live makes an average $9 - $10/hr, receptionist $7 - 8/hr, grocery clerk $6/hr, auto tech $16 - $24/hr. This is the kind of info we're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 06:40 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,233,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
.............. I'll even start with examples in another state: Medical Assistant where i live makes an average $9 - $10/hr, receptionist $7 - 8/hr, grocery clerk $6/hr, auto tech $16 - $24/hr. This is the kind of info we're looking for.

Well, I can only speak for the East side of TN. I don't know where you are planning to move, but sometimes different parts of TN pay differently. For example, if you take a clerk job at a grocery store in a more populated area the pay may start out at $7 and hour but in a very rural area in might start at about $6.
But in general, for more populated areas, you are about right on with the figures you stated except the receptionist might start at $9-$10 but the auto tech might be closer to $12-$15.
We do have several call centers and they seem to start around $8.50-$9.00.
These are guesstimates. Have you tried calling an employment agency here? Like Randstad or Snelling? They are nationwide but I am sure could pull up different counties/cities in TN and give you a better example than we could.
Most of the jobs you listed are usually hired through these types of agencies.
I hope that answers you questions a bit???

Old 02-21-2007, 07:22 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,072,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Well, I can only speak for the East side of TN. I don't know where you are planning to move, but sometimes different parts of TN pay differently. For example, if you take a clerk job at a grocery store in a more populated area the pay may start out at $7 and hour but in a very rural area in might start at about $6.
But in general, for more populated areas, you are about right on with the figures you stated except the receptionist might start at $9-$10 but the auto tech might be closer to $12-$15.
These are guesstimates. Have you tried calling an employment agency here? Like Randstad or Snelling? They are nationwide but I am sure could pull up different counties/cities in TN and give you a better example than we could.
Yes east TN is where we plan to move. My husband will probably commute to Knoxville for work. He makes 24/hr now at a dealership now so wow, i hope those auto figures are for independent shops. that's about how much they make in FL for independent shops. Thank you so much. this is the kind of info we were looking for.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:45 AM

OK, I am sorry, Yes, now I remember, you are looking to move to Dandridge area correct? If so, this would be considered one of the "more rural" areas I was speaking of. Less starting wages in Jefferson county on average. If he is commuting to Knoxville, he will get more there, but don't expect him to get a starting pay the same as what he is leaving. However, ask about their raise schedule. Some companies (in general) start out lower, small increase at 90 day mark, then a review and possible increase at 6 month and 1 year mark.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:48 AM

630 posts, read 2,424,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
So what does everyone do for work to survive in TN?
I can't really help you in specific salaries.
My husband works for the Post Office, he's grandfathered in as a Civil Servant.
No matter where we move he receives the same pay.
When we lived in Idaho, it was a good wage, but, in Minnesota, it wasn't.
In Tennessee, it's a comfortable wage, so, we won't have to live payday to payday.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:21 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,982,987 times
Quote:
As usual mbmouse comes to the rescue!

Thanks, this is perfect. So basically what you're saying is that most of the companies in the more populated cities don't hire indepently, but prefer to use staffing companies instead? If so, that's fine. I could deal with that.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 PM

63 posts, read 293,355 times
Default TN Employment

Here is what I going to do. I am visiting TN in April for the GMA and Dove awards. I am meeting with realtors, a friend that will informally show me the town and a headhunter who will have a copy of my Resume before for what I call exploratory interviews. I have a couple professions one of which is an Executive Assistant. You may want to try something like this. I am still trying to make the decision to Rent or purchase but I figure I will know better about that once I visit. My husband is a musician/songwriter/Musical Director - he will be looking in that field ie probably forming a wedding band business.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:08 PM

Yes, that is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
As usual mbmouse comes to the rescue!

Thanks, this is perfect. So basically what you're saying is that most of the companies in the more populated cities don't hire indepently, but prefer to use staffing companies instead? If so, that's fine. I could deal with that.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:52 PM

69 posts, read 125,117 times
Quote:
I recently moved from Miami, FL to Dandridge TN. If you are looking for real information please email me!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:44 PM

17 posts, read 68,603 times
the examples you gave in your question seem pretty compatable with the wages we see. $6 store clerk-$8 to $10 receptionist-it also depends on the area or city you will be living in. We live in a rural area and know that wages are higher in Chattanooga, but who can afford to pay the gas bill to get over there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee