Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 03:24 PM

243 posts, read 887,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by menglin View Post
klosk nothing is wrong, you have a healthy 50/50 relationship. I think it was more men were saying what a woman could do, or not do, say or not say. Like I don't let my wife......... you fill it in. Also that you could not have a opinion or make a decision without getting approval. That is what someone who lives near Knoxville said, to a friend of my mom's and set off my question to you guys. I know that you can not generalize men, women, race issues for a state by just a few bad apples. I agree all relationships have different dynamics and what each person is willing to live with is their business. I just thought that such a generalized statement was funny and made my mother go up in arms about us moving there. LOL
I always ask my husband if he minds if I go shopping or to visit a girlfriend. He does the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 03:27 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
I thought all y'alls locked up the wimmen at night from sundown to sun up and put them metal chastity belts on 'em?
When the rooster crows, ya unlock 'em and tell 'em to get the house cleaned up and git breakfast fixed dontchya?
Damn straight.
Menglin git that cookbook out and start yer washin' woman! Oh, git used ta bein' barefoot too. The good shoes are fer Sunday.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:29 PM

630 posts, read 2,432,386 times
Hey! We do get Sundays off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I thought all y'alls locked up the wimmen at night from sundown to sun up and put them metal chastity belts on 'em?
When the rooster crows, ya unlock 'em and tell 'em to get the house cleaned up and git breakfast fixed dontchya?
Damn straight.
Menglin git that cookbook out and start yer washin' woman!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:34 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBound View Post
Hey! We do get Sundays off...

blasphemy!!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 04:20 PM

83 posts, read 403,001 times
klosk I think there is a difference between what you and I do letting the ones you love know where you are going to be, so they do not worry and those who just want to control.

MoMark I love being barefoot and cooking, I have 2 kids the pregnant part is over.LOL So thats why the laundry never gets done........hehehe

Old 02-24-2007, 08:53 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Cool lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by menglin View Post
Ok let me start off my saying please don't get offended!! LOL OK So I told my mom we were thinking of moving to Tennessee, she was excited until someone who has a sister inlaw who lives near Knoxville says that the men in Tennessee do not like opinionated/liberated women. They like the whole barefoot and pregnant, cook my dinner, you get my drift. So what do you think? Are women who speak their minds and are strong treated differently? I believe that a whole diverse group makes up a state. The good, bad and ugly. I know that there are areas right here in Florida. Just wanted to know what you guys think? Thanks.
Thanks for the laugh. Just when I think society is more civilized, we see a post from 1950.

sunny

Old 02-24-2007, 11:06 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
"Steel Magnolias." That's exactly what it is like here! That is what the male-female dymanic is like. And yes, women run the show and men don't really care. The attitude around here seems to be, "If mama ain't happy, then nobody happy!"
Amen to that! If mama aint happy! aint nobody happy!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:44 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
"Steel Magnolias." That's exactly what it is like here! That is what the male-female dymanic is like. And yes, women run the show and men don't really care. The attitude around here seems to be, "If mama ain't happy, then nobody happy!"
Oh yeah, how true THAT really is...lol
Us women have our own opinions, and are real "go getter's". But, if we are not happy...huh, watch out.
I guess I'm going from one extreme to the next. My first husband used to drink, lie, beat me up, put me down. That lasted for 3 years before I pulled the plug. Didn't know anybody here in the US, and spoke very broken english. Well, I made it on my own, with a full time job ($6.00/ hour in '93), and a toddler!!!
I learned my independence VERY quickly, if you know what I mean. Had no other choice to either sink or swim....(I chose to swim!)
My now husband is everything I was ever looking for, and it took me 30 some years to find him! lol
He's my best friend, and has the patience of a saint....lol.
He has incredible manners (or his momma would smack him upside down his head!). He does do laundry, works full time, washes the dishes after I cooked.....
He still holds open the doors for me, holds my hands.....tells me he loves me every day. The only thing he's not really into is the romantic stuff like flowers and cards. But, hey, I can live with that, because he gives me money to buy my own plants, or a gift certificate for Victorias Secret....LOL.
My friends in TN are pretty much the same as us, except the he can cook better than mine (makes a mean Jack Daniels marinated steak!!!!), and that he is a lot more mouthy....lol. His wife is a bit more shy and quiet, until you corner her.....and boy, watch out! lol
So, no matter where you go, I think you will find all sorts of people, and whatever works for them. I found, no matter where I go, I always have been treated with the upmost respect so far......because I do mind MY OWN manners. So, maybe THAT has a lot to do with it?

Old 02-26-2007, 09:09 AM

26 posts, read 66,313 times
all i know is this...i have been to tennessee several times on 2-3 week vacations. im 53 yrs old. i was shown such respect. doors opened by teenagers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,called miss sharon,etc. it seems they know how to treat their elders. you dont find that here in minnesota.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:47 PM

56 posts, read 298,835 times
Quote:
I have found the opposite to be true. I find the men here honor and respect their wives and girlfriend's opinion. It's wonderful.

When we lived in Florida my husband was surrounded by people that thought a man could just do what he wanted, no matter what. Since we've moved here, and these other guys have rubbed off on him, he's a completely new man!

The women I've met here, young and old alike, are very opinionated and won't hesitate to tell you their point of view. The men simply defer to them!

I found myself looking around recently and saying to my husband, "You know what? I'm no longer worried about our daughter growing up and getting married if she marries one of these fine gentlemen."

Oh, I also have to say that I find the men at work to be very protective of the women. It's wonderful, too!
I'm glad to hear that. Arizona men are no gentlemen, nobody opens your door and they are very rude. At the most you are allowed to pay for your own dinner. manners, that is not a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee