Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:02 PM

60 posts, read 344,011 times

Advertisements

Clinton, TN's radio station, WDVX, is the greatest radio station in the world. Period. It plays nothing but old-time country, bluegrass, alt-country, Americana, and local Knoxville-area music 24 hours a day. In a word, it plays Tennessee music, the best of it too! No commercialized schlock. I am moving to Maryville this summer and I recently discovered this station. I listen to it all the time on their webcast (listening to "In the Jailhouse Now" right now!). It's a low-wattage station but they also broadcast out of downtown Knoxville and from Pigeon Forge. I don't know if I'll be able to get the signal in strong in Maryville. But it's available on the web. And the periodic sponsor statements are decidedly local. Oh, I can't wait to get down there!

The frequency is:
Clinton: 89.9

Downtown Knoxville: 105.9

Pigeon Forge: 92.7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 06:57 AM

141 posts, read 979,858 times
It's actually 102.9 in downtown, but that's a nitpick.

WDVX is the BEST station in the world. I am proud to have it as a Knoxville original.

They broadcast from downtown Knoxville nowadays, not Clinton. They have a daily live music show that is broadcast out over the air, old-timey style. It's free to the public. I got to see Sam Bush on my lunch hour a few months back, it was great.

I've listened to the 89.9 transmitter as far away as Tellico Plains, back when they first moved from the back porch of a cabin into their trailer at the campground. My, they have come a long way! And it is a good, clear signal for something that is such low-power.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:48 AM

13,337 posts, read 39,784,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post

WDVX is the BEST station in the world. I am proud to have it as a Knoxville original.

They broadcast from downtown Knoxville nowadays, not Clinton. They have a daily live music show that is broadcast out over the air, old-timey style. It's free to the public. I got to see Sam Bush on my lunch hour a few months back, it was great.

I've listened to the 89.9 transmitter as far away as Tellico Plains, back when they first moved from the back porch of a cabin into their trailer at the campground. My, they have come a long way! And it is a good, clear signal for something that is such low-power.
That sounds really good! I'll have to give it a try. Sounds like some good ol' Americana. It's too bad there's nothing like that coming out of Music Row.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post

It's great to hear it comes in as far away as Tellico Plains. I'm sure it'll come in in Maryville. I think there are actually two different transmitters from Knoxville: one in North Knoxville and one in downtown. Anyway, the web broadcasts it perfectly clearly so I can listen to it up here in Michigan and FEEL like I'm in East Tennessee

Old 02-23-2007, 11:38 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,117,298 times
I went to their website and there is a link to a Metro Pulse article about the Blue Plate broadcast and the station. Fantastic! This is an incredible find, Elrod!

Old 02-23-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I went to their website and there is a link to a Metro Pulse article about the Blue Plate broadcast and the station. Fantastic! This is an incredible find, Elrod!
You can hear a webcast of the station live too. Believe me, I listen to it regularly up here in Michigan.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:11 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,363,032 times
Elrod, if you haven't already done so, I suggest that you check out wsmonline.com in Nashville. They have a night DJ named Eddie Stubbs who plays a lot of the early stuff, and he happens to be a musical walking encyclopedia.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:33 AM

141 posts, read 979,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrod View Post
It's great to hear it comes in as far away as Tellico Plains. I'm sure it'll come in in Maryville. I think there are actually two different transmitters from Knoxville: one in North Knoxville and one in downtown. Anyway, the web broadcasts it perfectly clearly so I can listen to it up here in Michigan and FEEL like I'm in East Tennessee
It comes in great in Maryville, unless you get on the south side of some of the ridges. Then it tends to fade.

I think they actually have three transmitters now, one up on Cross Mountain in Campbell County, one in downtown Knoxville, and one in Sevier County.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Elrod, if you haven't already done so, I suggest that you check out wsmonline.com in Nashville. They have a night DJ named Eddie Stubbs who plays a lot of the early stuff, and he happens to be a musical walking encyclopedia.
Funny you mention Eddie Stubbs. When I lived in DC I used to listen to him every Saturday on WAMU. He's actually from Gaithersburg, MD and grew up listening to bluegrass and country around DC. Washington was actually a really strong bluegrass town because of the Appalachian migrants there in the 1960s. When he went to Nashville in 1995 I knew he'd still be on the radio in DC but I was sad to hear that he was actually leaving the area. Little did I know that he'd become a full-on legend in Nashville itself! Remember, the guy is only 46 years old. It's so nice to see how big he's gotten at the Grand Ole Opry and at WSM. He really deserves it.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:23 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,363,032 times
Default Eddie Stubbs

Yeah, Eddie is a great guy. I have emailed him to ask about artists and recordings I heard in the early fifties, and he has always answered with the information I wanted. By the way, some of the Appalachian immigrants you mentioned were close relatives of mine. They moved to Leesburg, VA in the fifties before moving into DC and then finally settling in Prince Georges County, MD. My aunt worked for many years at the Sampan Restaurants and my uncle was a building contractor. In the sixties, I would visit them during the summer months. My cousins and I would go down to Waldorf and play the slot machines that were in practically every place of business. But my most memorable experience was seeing Mickey Mantle hit two home runs at RFK Stadium. At that time it was still D.C. Stadium. Anyway, I am very aware of the importance of the DC area in the Folk and Bluegrass music explosion of the sixties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee