Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 07:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

Yep. Happy thoughts! The happy thought is you are all going to move here. I find that to be very happy! And I can't wait!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:42 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Well fortuneately my daughter doesn't even know how short she is compared to others because she's blind and cannot see a thing. She has such a happy attitude all the time. She's the one people at school go to (teachers and all) when they are having a bad day just to get one of her hugs she loves to give.

We need to change this topic to

The effect of moving to TN is short people live here. haha.

Short People Rule!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:47 PM

Yeah, well, whatever.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:48 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiemom View Post
My husband and I are originally from Ohio, moved to California in the 70's, moved back to Ohio. Now we're living in Florida and hating it. We also want to move to Tennessee. 1) what is the big urge to move to Tennessee for everyone and 2) how is Tennessee changing because of it? If so many of us move there what will the changes be? Comments
I'm in the Phoenix area and have seen the affects. Tennessee is the next Vegas, Phoenix, and Florida. It's "booming". Calis are looking to make themselves some money so watch out.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:50 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yeah, well, whatever.
OK!! Girls Rule Short, tall big and small

Old 04-22-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
I'm in the Phoenix area and have seen the affects. Tennessee is the next Vegas, Phoenix, and Florida. It's "booming". Calis are looking to make themselves some money so watch out.
Yeah, we are aware of that. I use to live in Florida.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:47 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times

I don't think I agree with that seeing as that I live out here and can tell you that the vast majority of Californians out here are almost broke from having paid 600k+ plus for a home that they can now barely afford. There are MANY foreclosures. The people in CA who have enough money to not be affected by this are too rich to really care about investing in TN. So for now, the crumbling housing markets in CA and beyond will prevent any serious problems for TN.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:32 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
I take it you have a tall father??? Some of the worst things are being asked how it feels living your life standing in a hole and being patted on the head, I hate that Also, no matter how old you get you are going to be refered to as "cute". I don't care if your drop dead gorgeous, your always going to "cute" becaise your short. Also why is it that no matter what shape a blondes hair is in it always looks good?
Well, I've been referred to as 'a gorgeous hunk of a woman' and 'cute'. I'm 5'2 1/2" I'm quite proud of that 1/2" - although, I know we shrink as we get older, but last time I got a physical (end of last year) the nurse measured me, and I'm still 5' 2 1/2". And, I turned 51 in November. But, I don't look my age - people think that my son (34) and I are brother and sister. Same with my mom, she doesn't look her age (78). People think that she's my older sister. Good genes, I guess. That and pure thoughts, pure living, eating pure food, and shovelling out pure BS.

Hiknapster, stress and strain ages people, but now that you're working, that should lessen. Keep smiling - that smile is what people will remember more than anything else. Plus, Lady Clairol is just plain WONDERFUL! I should buy stock in that company!

blessings, shen

Old 04-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I don't think I agree with that seeing as that I live out here and can tell you that the vast majority of Californians out here are almost broke from having paid 600k+ plus for a home that they can now barely afford. There are MANY foreclosures. The people in CA who have enough money to not be affected by this are too rich to really care about investing in TN. So for now, the crumbling housing markets in CA and beyond will prevent any serious problems for TN.
I watch those shows on HGTV and TLC about fixing your house to sell, flipping houses, etc, and am just plain shocked at the price of housing in CA. Homes that go for $75k (and lower) to $125k in my area, selling for $500k and up in CA. CRAZY! Well, the old adage is true - Location, Location, Location.

blessings, Shen

Old 05-10-2007, 08:54 PM

41 posts, read 184,176 times
Default urge to move

The big urge to move is
The oldest baby boomers turned 59 this yr. For the next decade, 10,000 per day will retire.
Those not of retirement age in Fl are buying just to hedge their bets and make sure they have their little piece of paradise before they get priced out of the market.
Florida has fallen out of favor. If people cannot afford oceans or endure hurricanes then they will look for alternative forms of natural beauty.
Tn has no state tax like Fl

The affect on Tn
Fortunately Tn has one of the best road systems in the US and thus is a little ahead of the curve as people migrate in.
The Tn Governor is on a rampage to buy up tens of thousands of acres on the cumberland plateau in the name of conservation. He is pushing a bond as we speak to finance more purchases.
Tn has implemented various forms of land trusts whereby you can reduce your property taxes by trusting your all or a portion of your land to the state. You can still use it for most any purpose and even leave it to heirs .... just cannot build additional structures.
In short, the state is being proactive in protecting it's natural beauty.
In my opinion, water would be the greatest concern over the next decade. Pikeville, for example, has had it's share of water shortages. Some counties have already sought out state aid to tackle the water needs predicted for the coming yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee