Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 01:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm thinking of taking a vacation in Florida next year wearing a tee shirt that says "OAK RIDGE - HOME OF NUKES!" Every once and awhile I'll twitch for the desired effect.

I say we keep talking about snakes, spiders, coyotes, bats...have to think about some previous threads...tornadoes, earthquakes, icy curvy mountain roads, traffic, air quality in Knoxville, not enough sunny days...still thinking...people who invite you to church against your will and/or people that are tooooo nice so you suspect ulterior motives, people who socialize with their church meaning you are left out, "stupid" dry counties, corporal punishment in schools, jailing bad parents with absentee kids, schools that don't take your parental "helpful suggestions"...no gun control, smoking all over the place so you might have to take your business elsewhere, watermelon seed spitting contests, square/buck dancing, rampant Yankee baiting/teasing/ignoring even though you're so wonderful/smarter/tolerant than them, predominantly Republican registered East Tennessee, hunting, no Meagers or whatever the name of that store was that started with an M...still thinking...I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE'S A TAX ON FOOD! even though I don't pay state income tax, some places with no broadband, "good old boys" only get hired and they passed up my sterling "I'm a highly educated professional" 20 different jobs resume to hire a guy who has lived here all of his life, not enough high-end retail stores, lower wage jobs, polite men that treat you like a lady and you don't know how to handle that, non diet conscious people who offend your eyesight, people with missing teeth that offend your eyesight, people with southern accents that offend your ears, men who sit in pick up trucks and, you know, sit there, too many country music stations...and HORRORS, poor people that have lived there all the years of their life who might be living in the general vicinity of where you want to build a house.

Have I missed anything?
You missed the hunting. How could you forget the hunting? Oh, and the lack of bus service and cowboy outfits.

Boy, that list just keeps getting longer.

Exactly why is it these people want to move here?

Oh, that right, it's all about money.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:12 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
Nissan is building their new North American headquarters in Williamson County. Until the building is completed, they are renting space in downtown Nashville.

Tennessee has a lot of things going for it. I used to live in SW Florida. I'm glad I'm in Tennessee.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Nissan is building their new North American headquarters in Williamson County. Until the building is completed, they are renting space in downtown Nashville.

Tennessee has a lot of things going for it. I used to live in SW Florida. I'm glad I'm in Tennessee.
I use to live in Fort Myers. I think George Bush was misinformed. Southwest Florida is definitely part of the axis of evil!

Old 02-25-2007, 02:39 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I use to live in Fort Myers. I think George Bush was misinformed. Southwest Florida is definitely part of the axis of evil!

You're just too funny!!! Think maybe we could put a border fence up between South FL and Central FL??

Old 02-25-2007, 03:07 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You missed the hunting. How could you forget the hunting? Oh, and the lack of bus service and cowboy outfits.

Boy, that list just keeps getting longer.

Exactly why is it these people want to move here?

Oh, that right, it's all about money.
OK you and LauraC have made me laugh. I love y'all's posts! Thanks for turning a blustery, windy day into a funny one! I just came inside because I needed a break from the bad mood: the wind tore down part of my fence (just snapped the posts in half!) so that now the people at the church next door have a clear view into my back yard and back porch. And goodness knows we don't like church-going people around here to know anything about our private life. So I came in for a little break and read y'all's posts, and now I feel all better again. Thanks!!

Old 02-25-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
You're just too funny!!! Think maybe we could put a border fence up between South FL and Central FL??
Yes, it could be like an extended border patrol fence! Excellent idea. I think you should run for Governor!

Old 02-25-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
OK you and LauraC have made me laugh. I love y'all's posts! Thanks for turning a blustery, windy day into a funny one! I just came inside because I needed a break from the bad mood: the wind tore down part of my fence (just snapped the posts in half!) so that now the people at the church next door have a clear view into my back yard and back porch. And goodness knows we don't like church-going people around here to know anything about our private life. So I came in for a little break and read y'all's posts, and now I feel all better again. Thanks!!
Dude! You best get back out there and put up that fence or those nice church ladies will get all nice on your butt!

Thanks for the laugh, too!

Old 02-25-2007, 04:05 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Seems like TN is getting pretty desirable. I cant believe how low the prop. taxes and insurance are! Seriously only $385 a year for a $130k house? Thats less than 1/3 percent a year! Even in the northeast the insurers want like 1%, I have a friend paying $400 a year on a $40k house, no way would I pay that much insurance, ill just self insure if they want too much but $385 a year is very reasonable! Is prop. taxes really just 1%? Wow I could probably afford more than $50k of house with such low taxes/insurance!

Even in Oil city where I got my sight set, a $50k house carries $1500 a year prop taxes and a nice $100k house would be $3000 a year! Plus TN has no state income tax and mild winters(albet miserable summers) I would save like $3000 a year living in TN over Oil city, PA due to no state income tax and lower prop. taxes. A $50k mortgage costs $316.03 a month, a $100k mortgage double that. If I save $3000 a year living in TN, thats $250 a month therefore I could afford a $90k house in TN for the same cost as a $50k house in Oil city!

Oil city $50k house, $1500 taxes
TN $90k house, $700 taxes(is this true?)

Old 02-25-2007, 04:15 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
NAH, are you following me? We just started checking out Tn. last night and it looks nice there. (Still love those palms and beaches, though, BUT Tn. seems to definitely be worth checking out.)

I recognize several people on here from the Fla. board. You all relocated to Tn. from Fla.? This must be a sign or something.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:42 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Tennessee is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Do to the state (Florida) of econmy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be put out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee