U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,995 times

Advertisements

For about a year now we have been looking into moving to Eastern Tennessee. I have lived in Florida, Delaware, Texas, Wisconsin and Alaska. In November we went to SE Florida for a cruise and I got homesick and actually convinced my husband that we should move there rather than TN. After reading more posts here about Florida however I slapped myself back to reality and decided TN was the best choice for us. My ancestors were from Rutherford county and I still have family there as well as NE TN. Hubby has family in Murfreesboro. We aren't moving to TN to change it.

Here is why we want to leave Wisconsin:

-Too many materialistic people keeping up with the Jones'
-Too many people who think the most important thing in life is to have a pristine yard and emerald green grass
-Stuck up people
-Rude people that won't hold doors for people and if they smile their faces would crack
-Binge drinking and bars on every corner
-Packer Fans (Don't throw any brats or cheese curds at me. I'm just tired of people treating me like crap just because I'm not a 'Packer Backer', ok?!)
-Everyone is always in a big hurry
-Cookie cutter houses 10 feet apart from each other
-Crappy schools
-Too much snow

The list goes on.

We want to move to TN for the following reasons:

-Good schools
-Slower pace of life
-GRITS
-Hunting/Fishing
-Scenery
-Culture and Pride
-Weather
-People being kind to one another
-Nobody to tell me that dandelions growing in my yard are bringing down the value of their home
-Neighbors that actually take the time to know your name and say hello
-People who see someone on the side of the road with a flat tire and actually STOP TO HELP
-Watch the local news and not hear about multiple overnight homicides on a daily basis

We have many elderly people on our street. Every time it snows we go to their homes and shovel their sidewalks and driveways for them. The first time that we did that all of them asked us how much money we expected for it. We told them that we didn't want any money. They all just about had heart attacks right there. The 76 year old widow accross the street actually told me that we were the first people to ever do anything for her like that since she's lived in this neighborhood. When I asked her how long she's lived here she said since 1960. How sad is that? Our 13 year old son helps them out too with snow removal. They have on many occasions tried to slip him ten or twenty dollars but each time he has politely refused. His friends in the neighborhood say he's dumb because he could make alot of money if he charged all of the "old people" around here. I'm trying my best to teach my son what is REALLY important in life. Where we are living now isn't where we belong. When I go for walks in my neighborhood I say hello to every person that I pass. Most of the time I just get a nasty look and no response. But, once in a great while I get a smile and hello back. Heck, I even hold doors for men. That gets me some really weird looks. And when I say hello and thank you to the store cashiers their eyeballs just about pop out of their heads!

I'm not going to lie....the low cost of living and low taxes in TN are appealing, too. Here we pay income tax, sales tax and insane property tax. They get you going each way. Property tax here on a $150k house is about $3,500. Where does our tax money go? Because our parks suck, our schools suck and our roads suck.

We don't drink so dry counties are fine with us. I'm all for corp. punishment in schools, too. I don't want to change anything about TN. And I'm actually hoping that it will stay just like it is for a very long time!!

I have a slight southern accent so once I've changed the tags on my truck many of you in TN won't know I'm a yankee. My poor husband though is born and raised cheesehead so when he opens his mouth and asks where the bubbler is, you'll know he's not a local!
Rate this post positively

Old 02-26-2007, 10:42 AM

12,518 posts, read 34,926,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblush View Post
Here is why we want to leave Wisconsin:

-Too many materialistic people keeping up with the Jones'
-Too many people who think the most important thing in life is to have a pristine yard and emerald green grass
-Stuck up people
-Rude people that won't hold doors for people and if they smile their faces would crack
-Binge drinking and bars on every corner
-Packer Fans (Don't throw any brats or cheese curds at me. I'm just tired of people treating me like crap just because I'm not a 'Packer Backer', ok?!)
-Everyone is always in a big hurry
-Cookie cutter houses 10 feet apart from each other
-Crappy schools
-Too much snow
I wouldn't want to live in that kind of environment, either! I'm amazed that so many people do.

However, just be warned that there are places in Tennessee that are like what you just mentioned. Well, other than the snow. When you do move to Tennessee, do you want to live in a smaller town? In the mountains? Near a big city? IN a big city?

Good luck! There are a bunch of us in this forum who love offering friendly advice. I hope we can help you, too.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:07 PM

48 posts, read 167,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVIN-n-012 View Post
LauraC,
I think you forgot one of the main reasons people are on the fence about TN, That lack of divercity will do it every time........ East TN clocking in at 94% white?? It keeps me up at night just wondering what its like and if this ol NY prison CO can adjust
After living in California's "Bay area" for 4 years, I am fed up with so called "diversity." I cannot call in a prescription, call Sears checking on an item, ask a waiter if the restaurant has "so-in-so" without battling the ever present language barrier. It is no longer necessary to learn the english language in America. I love diversity as long as people can understand one another. I wouldn't move to Italy without learning the language. I wouldn't expect the Italian government to print out everything in English for me. If people are fleeing from California and Florida, the "94% white" might look very inviting.

Races in San Jose:

White Non-Hispanic (36.0%)
Hispanic (30.2%)
Other race (15.9%)
Vietnamese (8.8%)
Chinese (5.7%)
Filipino (5.4%)
Two or more races (5.0%)
Black (3.5%)
Asian Indian (3.0%)
Other Asian (1.6%)
American Indian (1.5%)
Japanese (1.3%

Old 02-26-2007, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,910 times
Thumbs up As A Matter A Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
These things make places bearable for people but I'm waiting to read more posts of people who are moving to Tennessee FOR the culture, not people who are moving to Tennessee hoping people will tolerate them and their ideas.

So tell me, who is coming to East Tennessee because -

You want to hunt and/or fish more often?

You want to be a part of a church community lifestyle? (meaning your religious institution is more than a building where you attend services once in awhile - it is also an avenue to socialize and do good deeds in the community)?

You want to celebrate traditional religious holidays like Christmas, for example, or patriotic holidays like Memorial Day or 4th of July beyond having a day off from work or going to sales at the stores? (parades, events)?

You want to hear more country, bluegrass, gospel or blues music than you hear now? You want to learn some southern dances?

The idea of eating traditional southern dishes or something you've caught or shot appeals to you?

You want to spend more time with your ATV, racing or truck? Or, you are looking to buy one/participate in related activies/events?

You want to belong to some group after you get to Tennessee that has to do with nature and/or nature related sports (hiking, rafting, birding, etc.)?

You think a person's property is his to do with as he pleases?

You like to swim in lakes and/or swimming holes?

You like the school rules, the school curriculum, the school activities more than the place you left?

You want to marry a southern man or a southern woman raised in Tennessee or have friends who are Tennessee natives?

You want the town you are looking at, to stay exactly like it is now and not looking at the town for what it could be once more transplants arrive?
This is exactly what we are looking for.....Basically, we have that now, we live in a small community in Central Mississippi and we hunt, fish, swin in our own pond on our property, we attend church and my children are diciplined at home as well as in school which is a level 5 school. My family is just as laidback and southern as any true southerner. My children were in the chicken pen in the stroller and that's how they have grew up. Our roots are here and all of our family but I want my children to have a better opportunity and enviroment (with low humidity) than we had. Mississippi is VERY HOT & HUMID and opportunity in arts & theatre are just not abundant. Everything else is just an added bonus for us.....

Old 02-26-2007, 05:44 PM

166 posts, read 589,356 times
As I explained in a thread I started (trying to find places that are possible relocation sites for us), we're interested in retiring to NE TN because it is very similar to where we live, NE PA. Here the first day of deer season is pretty much a holiday-schools are closed, and you can forget finding a mechanic if the garage is even open. Kids fish and hunt at an early age just like what was mentioned. Skiing, snowmobiling, fishing (yep, ice fishing,too) and outside sports and activities are real popular here. Outside of most towns there is no or little zoning, and you will find dilapidated trailers near nice homes. Around halloween I found a cow on our front porch, as he and a few of his friends wandered down the road from a nearby farm
What I think the initial poster was referring to is a concern as to what has happened to Florida over the years, or in the Pocono Mountains, which is very close to us (technically we're in the northern Poconos). So many transplants moved to the Poconos from NY and NJ to get away from the traffic, high taxes, insurance and real estate, better environment for their families, etc-and then transformed the area into a 'suburb' of NJ. The local roads weren't meant to handle the current congestion; real estate prices (though reasonable compared to much of the US) went up and out of the affordability range of many locals; crime, while still low, has gone up, etc. I guess I've read enough about JC's growth (or sprawl) and the number of people moving to or interested in moving to the tri-cities to wonder if that area will become like the Poconos in ten or fifteen years.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:53 AM

16,889 posts, read 16,500,824 times
Quote:
These things make places bearable for people but I'm waiting to read more posts of people who are moving to Tennessee FOR the culture, not people who are moving to Tennessee hoping people will tolerate them and their ideas.

You want to be a part of a church community lifestyle? (meaning your religious institution is more than a building where you attend services once in awhile - it is also an avenue to socialize and do good deeds in the community)?

You want to celebrate traditional religious holidays like Christmas, for example, or patriotic holidays like Memorial Day or 4th of July beyond having a day off from work or going to sales at the stores? (parades, events)?

You want to hear more country, bluegrass, gospel or blues music than you hear now? You want to learn some southern dances?

The idea of eating traditional southern dishes or something you've caught or shot appeals to you?

You want to spend more time with your ATV, racing or truck? Or, you are looking to buy one/participate in related activies/events?

You want to belong to some group after you get to Tennessee that has to do with nature and/or nature related sports (hiking, rafting, birding, etc.)?

You like the school rules, the school curriculum, the school activities more than the place you left?

You want to marry a southern man or a southern woman raised in Tennessee or have friends who are Tennessee natives?

You want the town you are looking at, to stay exactly like it is now and not looking at the town for what it could be once more transplants arrive?
Except for the finding a southern wife question (I'm happy with the one I have) those are some pretty good reasons to me. I'm a red state man, with a red state wife, living in a very strongly blue state. When the time is right, I'm gonna take my family, my F250, my guns and my bible and bolt.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:52 AM

22,576 posts, read 49,433,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Except for the finding a southern wife question (I'm happy with the one I have) those are some pretty good reasons to me. I'm a red state man, with a red state wife, living in a very strongly blue state. When the time is right, I'm gonna take my family, my F250, my guns and my bible and bolt.
I love it!!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 07:49 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,662,782 times
Quote:

I DO!! I DO! I DO!!! (hand raised high with the "pick me, oh pick me" attitude)
oh wait.........we did that 10 years ago for most of these reasons and LOVE it!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:05 AM

60 posts, read 326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'm not sure all of this is red state/blue state. I'm pretty solidly blue in a blue state and I find most of the things on this list appealing.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:13 AM

22,576 posts, read 49,433,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrod View Post
I'm not sure all of this is red state/blue state. I'm pretty solidly blue in a blue state and I find most of the things on this list appealing.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm a bleeding heart liberal from Massachusetts. And I love it here and most of those things appeal to me, too. I guess I'm really more of a moderate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or