Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 09:29 AM

10 posts, read 60,863 times

Advertisements

Hi! We too are looking at TN as a relocation possibility from FL, but my big question is.....are there FIRE ANTS in TN??? I can't handle them ANYMORE, and we were wondering if they were in TN and if so, to what degee? Are they everywhere/year round? Also what are the 4 seasons like...do you get any snow? Thanks for any and all advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2006, 10:02 AM

113 posts, read 529,658 times
I have never ran into fire ants. I know of people who have. I am in the Memphis area. I don't think they are too bad here. Between December and February we get our coldest weather. Some times we get a flurry, some times freezing rain, some times a good blanket of snow. It just depends. We are not known for snowy weather. We mainly get ice. But it is only once or twice during the winter. Our seasons are the same as most states. We get milder winters and hotter summers than some. Spring and Fall are wonderful.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:36 PM

61 posts, read 277,057 times
Post Fireants exist

Yes, fireants exist, but I don't seem them that bad, just when you are more in the outdoor areas. My karate instructor's son was stung / bit by some a few months ago, but that is because he was outside barefoot.

As far as four seasons, that's funny. I think it's only 2 1/2. But then again that's because I'm originally from WI. We get very hot and humidity during the summer and very wet and humidity in the tempertures. Asking me though if 30 and 40 is cold is not a smart thing, as one I'm hot natured, and two, again I'm from WI. We get a few weeks (maybe a month and 1/2) of warm weather and cooler weather for fall and spring but it doesn't last nearly as long as the summers and winter temps.

Just to let you know I'm south of the Tennessee state line, in NW MS but the karate instructor is from Shelby County (Memphis area).

Old 06-12-2006, 02:45 PM

25 posts, read 202,810 times
Default Yes, there are fireants in TN

We have them in our neighborhood in Memphis. Some of the kids at my child's school were bit by them on the playground but no one has seen the mound. We also have plenty of mosquitoes, gnats, and other pests. Even though it may get colder than Florida, these bugs have developed a resistance to cold.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:36 PM

20 posts, read 75,073 times
Default Fire Ants

I assume that there are fire-ants in Tennessee. Can anyone tell me how prevalent they are in the eastern part of the state? We will selling out home here in California and moving to your great state mid summer of next year. We plan on looking carefully at the Crossville area.
Thank you all for the input.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:51 PM

7 posts, read 33,060 times
Not sure about the ants... i am in South Fl. but just in Cumberland Cove - which is at the end of Crossville.... Take a look when you are there. Have no clue about the fire ants though.... sorry jayW

Old 06-29-2006, 06:56 AM

Thank you for the information

Old 06-29-2006, 07:30 AM

45 posts, read 250,300 times
Hi Gene:
It appears fire ants in Tennessee are more in the southern part of the state than in Eastern Tennessee. Check out this website:
http://www.state.tn.us/agriculture/regulate/plants/ifa.html (broken link)
There is a map that pretty much shows where they are located. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't march north at some point. They can be controlled if they crop up in your yard. Believe me, as a longtime Floridian in the process of moving to Campbell County, I know.
Cheers,
Maggie

Old 06-29-2006, 08:31 AM

48 posts, read 284,266 times
Great map! Thanks for posting the link. My son is actually allergic to fire ants and almost died at age 3 when he got into an ant bed. He's been through desensitization therapy, but we still keep an EpiPen handy just in case. He's 14 now and probably has outgrown the allergy, but I refuse to take chances. We have a huge fire ant problem in Louisiana. I hate it! I see where Tipton County is not in the quarantined section, so I'll definitely look in this area for a residence.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:03 AM

Maggie,

We wish to thank you very much for the web-site info. It appears that Cumberland County is not infested at this time.

Gene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee