Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 06:20 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

For people who have moved to Tennessee (identify if you are currently working full time or are retired) are you better off, worse off, about the same, financially, compared to the state you came from? To what degree (a lot or a little)?

Consider everything, income, taxes, expenses like goods, services and insurance, housing, utilities, etc.

Not looking for people to spill anything about their specific finances, just an overall financial well-being (or not) assessment. This is presuming you lived and worked at least a year in your former state and are still working full time in TN or you were retired at least one year in your former state before moving to TN as a retiree.

For the purpose of this thread, don't want to hear about social/mental/intellectual/cultural plus or minuses of the move--- this is strictly an OVERALL financial feelings question.

Last edited by LauraC; 03-05-2007 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 07:24 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
For people who have moved to Tennessee (identify if you are currently working full time or are retired) are you better off, worse off, about the same, financially, compared to the state you came from? To what degree (a lot or a little)?

Consider everything, income, taxes, expenses like goods, services and insurance, housing, utilities, etc.

Not looking for people to spill anything about their specific finances, just an overall financial well-being (or not) assessment. This is presuming you lived and worked at least a year in your former state and are still working full time in TN or you were retired at least one year in your former state before moving to TN as a retiree.

For the purpose of this thread, don't want to hear about social/mental/intellectual/cultural plus or minuses of the move--- this is strictly an OVERALL financial feelings question.
I am definitely better off financially in Knoxville than I was in Atlanta or Tampa even though my salary is a bit lower. Because my mortgage, property taxes, homeowners and car insurance premiums are so low, and because there's no state income tax, I actually have more disposable income here.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:23 AM

16 posts, read 90,321 times
We are definitely better off here as well. Moved to Memphis from VA but origianally from NJ. We would never have been able to afford the house we have anywhere else, it would have been double the price in VA and 3x plus in NJ. The only thing that surprised me was car insurance being equal here in Memphis to NJ and more expensive than VA. Apparently people in Memphis can't drive

Old 03-05-2007, 10:29 AM

86 posts, read 414,552 times
WAY better off. I come from Michigan and thought we had it pretty good b/c the economy sucks so bad, there. BUT....boy.....we really have it much better here! Taxes are less, cost of living is less, and we have great job!

Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Way better off here than FL! I actually have a higher paying job here than there and I too have more disposable income and do not live paycheck to paycheck any more (that also has a lot to do with the fact I don't have the ex spending $ either anymore! LOL!!!)

Old 03-05-2007, 02:40 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,920 times
Ok now, stop all this good talk since i'm stuck here in expenseville flatland & can't get out yet, not a single hillbilly around, no one with an accent, the only friendly folk would be my dog, have to drive 50 miles to see woods & hills, this state has been in my pockets so much done wore holes in them & all the five dollar bills old abe lincoln has done went bald and his beard has done wore off.

shame shame shame, enough to make a grown man cry

Old 03-05-2007, 05:03 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,029 times
No way. I pay alot more than I did in Wyoming. And the permits and taxes are unreal. My wages are below what they were where we used to live. My wifes wages are about the same. So no, we are worse off.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:12 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
No way. I pay alot more than I did in Wyoming. And the permits and taxes are unreal. My wages are below what they were where we used to live. My wifes wages are about the same. So no, we are worse off.
Actually, I've always thought of Wyoming as a beautiful state (from photos). Why do you think more people don't choose to live there? I could see if there are not a lot of jobs there but what about retirees? Why don't people from California, for example, choose Wyoming in retirement? I was looking at some photos on the state website and the photos are gorgeous.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:37 AM

8 posts, read 29,831 times
Wyoming??? To live??? Well first you need your own GPS system in the event
of one of the many blizzards...............and it does thaw around June....but
pretty, yessss.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:06 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
Wyoming??? To live??? Well first you need your own GPS system in the event
of one of the many blizzards...............and it does thaw around June....but
pretty, yessss.
You got that right! The coldest I have ever been in my life was while driving on I-80 in southern Wyoming in January of 1980-something while taking a college road trip. I had my car's heater on full blast, there were four of us in the car with our warm bodies, but there was still ice formed on the INSIDE of my car's windows.

And southern Wyoming is not beautiful. I think you go something like 100 miles without seeing a single tree.

With the barren wasteland and bitter cold, I can see why more people don't retire to Wyoming, at least the southern part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: