Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:05 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,902 times

Advertisements

The Cumberland Mountains have some gorgeous mountain wilderness areas in Tennessee that aren't as heavily commercialized as the Smokies. They're located between Knoxville and Nashville.
On the top of my list is Obed Wild and Scenic River.
Obed Wild & Scenic River - Obed Wild & Scenic River (U.S. National Park Service)
No outfitters, one primitive campground. Lots of trails and whitewater.
Near there is the state park at Frozen Head.
Tennessee State Parks: Frozen Head State Park
Big South Fork is in that same general area
Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area - Outdoor Activities (U.S. National Park Service)
You'll find plenty of wonderful places in East Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 01:07 PM

300 posts, read 1,455,742 times
The southern region of the Cherokee National Forest is full of areas that one can still go to get away from it all. I use to work for the Forest Service and did interpretive hikes all through the southern region. I once spent 5 weeks in Citico Wilderness Area by myself and did not encounter another human the entire 5 weeks.

Some of my favorite places involve the Citico Wilderness/Joyce Kilmer areas. One place I am very fond of is Santeetlah Creek. You can also find places along Lost Creek, North River, and many off trail areas. Laurel Branch, John's Branch, etc. have some beautiful areas to camp at. You can also camp in Whigg Meadows, which is an amazing place.

As soon as I can and have time, I will list some more of those places and post some pics and directions. If there is one place in particular you are interested in, just let me know and likely...I can tell you the ups and downs of the area, this includes all hiking trails in the southern region as I have hiked them all and kept a journal on every hike.

Like I said, I will get pics and more info up as soon as I can

Old 01-05-2009, 01:18 PM

300 posts, read 1,455,742 times
BushwhackerJohn/Road Trips - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

that is a link to my photobucket where I have pics of areas in the southern cherokee nf.

Here are a few pics of my fav places

Santeetlah Creek

Falls Branch Falls in Citico Wilderness

My fav camp site in the entire Cherokee at Santeetlah Creek

Spring Creek near Hiwassee River

North River

Hiwassee River (John Muir Trail)

Near Joyce Kilmer

North River

North River

Old 01-06-2009, 03:19 PM

137 posts, read 430,796 times
First off, I heartily recommend getting adetailed map of the region. I hear National Georgraphic has some great maps.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Smokies. 100% wilderness for miles and miles.

Most of the central Appalachian mountains in East Tennessee and West North Carolina are owned by the National Park Service (Great Smoky Mountains) or the National Forest Service (Pigsah, Nantahala, and Cherokee), although there are also sizable chunks owned by conservation organisations and other private entities open to hikers with trails and such. The rest of it is privatley owned. The Cumberland Plateau, in contrast, is mostly prvatley owned. However, there's a whole slew of various parks owned by all sorts of entities. These include Savage Gulf, Fall Creek Falls, Scott's Gulf, Walls of Jericho, and Frozen Head.

Scott's Gulf on the Cumberland Plateau north of Fall Creek Falls is a large wilderness with a lot of interesting sites to see, and one of the largest cave systems in the US (with Mammoth being by far in the lead, of course). On the trail to Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness you will see a large waterfall along the side of the trail (forget the name), Big Laurel Falls and cave, Sheep Cave, Martha's (very) Pretty Point, Sheep Cave, the Caney Fork River, and Virgin Falls and cave.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:50 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,510,696 times
Cool Scott's Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn5 View Post
I was going to recommend the Savage Gulf area. The Fiery Gizzard trail is awesome.
http://www.friendsofscsra.org/aboutthepark.htm I goofed Scott's Gulf in the Bridgestone/Firestone Wilderness south of Sparta,TN also has hiking and camping.......

Scott's Gulf.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKI3rucXBfE

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 01-06-2009 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Ops.....

Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
I think there are many places to pitch a tent along the Appalachian Trail.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 AM

19 posts, read 58,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Breath View Post
BushwhackerJohn/Road Trips - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

that is a link to my photobucket where I have pics of areas in the southern cherokee nf.

Here are a few pics of my fav places

Santeetlah Creek

Falls Branch Falls in Citico Wilderness

My fav camp site in the entire Cherokee at Santeetlah Creek

Spring Creek near Hiwassee River

North River

Hiwassee River (John Muir Trail)

Near Joyce Kilmer

North River

North River
These pictures are great!!This is just our type of thing!Being out in the woods,with nature having a blast!Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
The Cumberland Mountains have some gorgeous mountain wilderness areas in Tennessee that aren't as heavily commercialized as the Smokies. They're located between Knoxville and Nashville.
On the top of my list is Obed Wild and Scenic River.
Obed Wild & Scenic River - Obed Wild & Scenic River (U.S. National Park Service)
No outfitters, one primitive campground. Lots of trails and whitewater.
Near there is the state park at Frozen Head.
Tennessee State Parks: Frozen Head State Park
Big South Fork is in that same general area
Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area - Outdoor Activities (U.S. National Park Service)
You'll find plenty of wonderful places in East Tennessee.
Hi Knoxgargen!We looked into this area last night.You are right,many more options to add to the list!Thank You for the links too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
South Cumberland State Park Wilderness Properties Tennessee I goofed Scott's Gulf in the Bridgestone/Firestone Wilderness south of Sparta,TN also has hiking and camping.......

Scott's Gulf.....
YouTube - Scott's Gulf Hike
Hi There!Thanks for these links too,all of them will be very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Breath View Post
The southern region of the Cherokee National Forest is full of areas that one can still go to get away from it all. I use to work for the Forest Service and did interpretive hikes all through the southern region. I once spent 5 weeks in Citico Wilderness Area by myself and did not encounter another human the entire 5 weeks.

Some of my favorite places involve the Citico Wilderness/Joyce Kilmer areas. One place I am very fond of is Santeetlah Creek. You can also find places along Lost Creek, North River, and many off trail areas. Laurel Branch, John's Branch, etc. have some beautiful areas to camp at. You can also camp in Whigg Meadows, which is an amazing place.

As soon as I can and have time, I will list some more of those places and post some pics and directions. If there is one place in particular you are interested in, just let me know and likely...I can tell you the ups and downs of the area, this includes all hiking trails in the southern region as I have hiked them all and kept a journal on every hike.

Like I said, I will get pics and more info up as soon as I can
Hi Forest Breath!

Are Citico Wilderness/Joyce Kilmer on mountains?Can you tell me what time of year you went for five weeks,what you ate and can you please tell us how we can protect ourselves from snake bites?I have a heart condition,where I cannot get infections.Are there any good pants,boots etc?

We've been looking into these wilderness areas online,they give more hope!We hope they will stay protected forever!Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCuzco View Post
First off, I heartily recommend getting adetailed map of the region. I hear National Georgraphic has some great maps.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Smokies. 100% wilderness for miles and miles.

Most of the central Appalachian mountains in East Tennessee and West North Carolina are owned by the National Park Service (Great Smoky Mountains) or the National Forest Service (Pigsah, Nantahala, and Cherokee), although there are also sizable chunks owned by conservation organisations and other private entities open to hikers with trails and such. The rest of it is privatley owned. The Cumberland Plateau, in contrast, is mostly prvatley owned. However, there's a whole slew of various parks owned by all sorts of entities. These include Savage Gulf, Fall Creek Falls, Scott's Gulf, Walls of Jericho, and Frozen Head.

Scott's Gulf on the Cumberland Plateau north of Fall Creek Falls is a large wilderness with a lot of interesting sites to see, and one of the largest cave systems in the US (with Mammoth being by far in the lead, of course). On the trail to Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness you will see a large waterfall along the side of the trail (forget the name), Big Laurel Falls and cave, Sheep Cave, Martha's (very) Pretty Point, Sheep Cave, the Caney Fork River, and Virgin Falls and cave.
Great information & advice!Thank You!

Last edited by Beretta; 01-11-2009 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee