Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:47 PM

11 posts, read 32,850 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher in Nashville. Just be aware that Knoxville is really conservative. I grew up in East TN and dislike Knoxville, but I understand that it is great for some people (my parents love it.) Being close to the Great Smokies and also to Asheville is nice. I live in Nashville now and much prefer it over Knoxville because Nashville is more open-minded and progressive and has a lot more options on things to do as well as more diversity (although it is still a southern city with all that brings.) That said, Knoxville (really Farragut area) has Turkey Creek which is a nice outdoor "lifestyle" center with lots of shopping and restaurants. However, once you go Whole Foods and Macy's in Nashville, you can't go back (at least, I can't!) Best of luck to you in your decision. You could also live in a suburb of Nashville such as Hermitage or even in Murfreesboro if you wanted things a little quieter.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:07 PM

458 posts, read 1,266,764 times
Considering you're from Marietta and like the mountains, have you considered WV?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 PM

253 posts, read 803,194 times
Default knoxville....but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313fish View Post
My wife and I are relocating our family of 5 the HELL out of Detroit. We love Tennessee and know that is where we are headed. Where ? Well, we have been back and forth about that. Originally being from Marietta, Ohio, I love the mountains and the activities that Knoxville provides. My wife wants the metoropolitan area, and would prefer Nashville. I say for the small kids, Knoxville is perfect. She is a hairstylist and I am looking into CDL training. I know you all have seen my posts, and as the day is nearing for us to leave - we have got to get this boggle settled. So, m question, pros and cons of each city? What is better Knoxville or Nashville?
hey there fellow michiganders!!! welcome to TN!!! my hubby was born and raised in gaylord...(up by bridge). he loves it here, and so glad i dragged him down to my neck of the woods!!
ive been to both, and imo, come here to knoxville, its got more if you ask me then nashville, your wife will love all the shopping and stuff here. nashville is big, yes, but very concrete...meaning, its bla in my opinion, all highway and buildings. where as knoxville is big to, but set in a mtn setting, each road in is like a scenic country drive, sooooo beautifull, and each side has so much to do, you wont get bored. the kids will have lots to do, the knox zoo is the best ive seen, not to mention all the parks, trails, and etc right in town!!!
to me, nashville is just one big rush hour traffic jam all day and night, and with nothing to look at beyond its cement walls, you can only go to opry land so many times before you yawn.
best bet, knoxville, you get the majestic scenery and everything big city in one.
on a differant note...you mentioned CDL training.....PLEASE PM me before hand...my hubby is a otr trucker, retired AF,(age 49) and took a otr job to get us down here, trucking right now is not good, to many out there, and contrary to how it looks on the highways here, knoxville isnt a trucking portal, nashville and memphis offers little bit more in jobs for otr, but very crappy companies. there has been a big rise in guys going to school for trucking, most do get on with a company, most now owe that company a year of their lives to pay back the schooling, only to find they are making about 250 a week and still gone 80 hrs a week. hubby can give ya alot of insight on companies to try, good and bad. has been at it long time. so feel free to PM us and get more info, before you bank everything on trucking right now.
we sure hope you do move down thou, you will love it, you wont miss MI at all....just come down with a open mind that things are differant here, and be willing to adapt, and you will love it, my hubby now says he wishes he had listened to me long ago about my wanting to move back here...lol

Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,179,722 times
Knoxville is horribly conservative as is most of East Tennessee. If that is your cup of tea, then it might be a good fit. Knoxville has a lower cost of living overall.

Nashville is much more cosmopolitan. Cutting edge restaurants, lots of small liberal arts colleges (and Vandy, of course), music industry. I love Nashville and find Knoxville very boring.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:46 PM

197 posts, read 483,077 times
I don't know about "horribly conservative". There is a lot that is progressive about Knoxville. Three Rivers Market. Hard Knox Roller Girls. Laurel High School, the Unitarian Church, The SCA, The Optimist Club, The Realist Club, Knox Heritage, Walker Academy, Greenway School, ORNL, ME... I could go on and on.

Seek out the people you wish to be with and if you wish to not hang out with the conservative crowd, then hang out with the less conservative crowd...

Old 01-23-2009, 03:55 PM

16 posts, read 31,541 times
Default Knox or Nash?

I've lived in both. I presently live in Nashville. The Smokies are 2.5 hrs away. Knoxville is growing (mostly to the west) and is economically predominated by The University of Tennessee.
Nashville offers a balanced economy with 24 colleges and universtites, a hugh healthcare complex, state government, and excellent small manufacturing. Nissan is based here, GM has a plant south of here and north of here (Corvette). Its 3 hours or less to Memphis, Knoxville, Louisville, and Lexington, and only 4 or so to Atlanta, and 6 to the Gulf beaches.
Hang out in both if you can for a day or two....ask perfect stangers how they like living in that town....face to face...it will probably tell you alot about which one to choose.
Callcondo

Old 01-25-2009, 11:52 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,179,722 times
Default excellent advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by callcondo View Post
Hang out in both if you can for a day or two....ask perfect stangers how they like living in that town....face to face...it will probably tell you alot about which one to choose.
Callcondo
Your suggestions are excellent. No way to get a better feel for it.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 AM

1,997 posts, read 4,583,209 times
Nashville and Chattanooga both have Pulbix (Knoxville does not)

Old 01-27-2009, 11:16 AM

26 posts, read 82,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callcondo View Post
I've lived in both. I presently live in Nashville. The Smokies are 2.5 hrs away. Knoxville is growing (mostly to the west) and is economically predominated by The University of Tennessee.
Nashville offers a balanced economy with 24 colleges and universtites, a hugh healthcare complex, state government, and excellent small manufacturing. Nissan is based here, GM has a plant south of here and north of here (Corvette). Its 3 hours or less to Memphis, Knoxville, Louisville, and Lexington, and only 4 or so to Atlanta, and 6 to the Gulf beaches.
Callcondo
Just curious...What Gulf Beaches are only 6 hours away from Nashville??? Is it really only 6 hours?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,058,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Faces View Post
Just curious...What Gulf Beaches are only 6 hours away from Nashville??? Is it really only 6 hours?
I wondered the same thing. And would it be closer to live in Nashville and get to the beach, or Knoxville or the same? Either way, it is closer to get to the Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee