Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2007, 05:41 PM

45 posts, read 100,073 times

Advertisements

hello
My wife & I will be moving to the kingsport area about the third week in march. We have already secured an apartment but not a job as yet, (not that i'm worried about finding work since I have lived in casper WY before & was able to stay working even out there), but was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what the pay rates for a painter (20yrs) are ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 08:18 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Hmmm....I don't know for sure, but I would assume in the $10-$16 per hour range. Have you contacted any general contractors in the area? You can do an on line yellow pages search, that would give you a better idea than my guess.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:33 PM

I have not yet been able to contact any contractors in the area. I have made one phone call & left a message, but have not recieved a return call, perhaps they are unable to project their needs that far into the future, (My start date being around april 1).

Old 03-06-2007, 09:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
You may have to call 4 or 5 but look at it this way.......if they are to busy to call you back, that means work is good here

Old 03-08-2007, 02:08 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Here we call the local Sherwin Williams and see if any painters have called in looking for jobs, and painters call in asking if any contractors are looking for painters. Sherwin Williams knows all the contractors who are really looking and sort of act like an unofficial word of mouth employment agency. Contractors post notes on the walls looking for painters and vice versa. If you go to www.sherwinwilliams.com, enter a zip code of where you're considering moving in Tennessee, then click on "commercial," it will give you the stores that service the commercial painting contractors.

A better way, though, is that we also scoped out the number of painters in a particular area of Tennessee by going to www.google.com and entering "painters Johnson City Tennessee" for example, in the search box. We found the names of several painting companies that way.

Finally, we do a web search of the newspapers in Tennessee in the areas we are considering moving and do job search occasionally for painters.

Good luck. Joke re: Sherwin Williams which is applicable to my husband since we're in Florida:

"The good news is, Sherwin Williams has come out with a paint that can be applied in really cold weather. The bad news is, Sherwin Williams has come out with a paint that can be applied in really cold weather."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweavers View Post
I have not yet been able to contact any contractors in the area. I have made one phone call & left a message, but have not recieved a return call, perhaps they are unable to project their needs that far into the future, (My start date being around april 1).

Old 03-08-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Here we call the local Sherwin Williams and see if any painters have called in looking for jobs, and painters call in asking if any contractors are looking for painters. Sherwin Williams knows all the contractors who are really looking and sort of act like an unofficial word of mouth employment agency. Contractors post notes on the walls looking for painters and vice versa. If you go to www.sherwinwilliams.com, enter a zip code of where you're considering moving in Tennessee, then click on "commercial," it will give you the stores that service the commercial painting contractors.

A better way, though, is that we also scoped out the number of painters in a particular area of Tennessee by going to www.google.com and entering "painters Johnson City Tennessee" for example, in the search box. We found the names of several painting companies that way.

Finally, we do a web search of the newspapers in Tennessee in the areas we are considering moving and do job search occasionally for painters.

Good luck. Joke re: Sherwin Williams which is applicable to my husband since we're in Florida:

"The good news is, Sherwin Williams has come out with a paint that can be applied in really cold weather. The bad news is, Sherwin Williams has come out with a paint that can be applied in really cold weather."
Excellent idea CAROLAC!
Your husband must be a painter with at least a few yrs. exp. because that is pretty much standard procedure for acquiring work, although most painters do not utilize the paint stores for such until they have been in the business for awhile.
However, I am attempting to get a feel for the areas rate of pay from the perspective of actual painters. I have done online "research" but do not trust that the information is accurate because I've done so in the Tampa area where I have lived & worked for 6yrs. & found the information to be grossly over exaggerated. It seems the information is collected from the employers not the employees & perhaps that is the reason for the discrepancy.
I do appreciate your help though.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:17 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Yes, he is the doctor, and I'm the back room "boy." Sounds like you've got your plan in action and have been around the block quite a few times yourself. Maybe we'll meet up in Tennessee one day. Hubby is very much ready to go.

[quote=Dreamweavers;438667]Excellent idea CAROLAC!
Your husband must be a painter with at least a few yrs. exp. because that is pretty much standard procedure for acquiring work. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee