Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 06:33 PM

7 posts, read 16,907 times

Advertisements

Hi...my family is considering relocating to TN and I am trying to do some research so that we can plan a visit to a promising community. I am finishing up a course in medical billing and have over 20years of office experience...my husband is currently a local truck driver but has also worked in manufacturing. We would need a good middle school and high school, a community with low crime rate and good possiblilties for rentals. Can anyone offer us some communities to check out. Thank you! We love TN and the people in TN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:05 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
You might first take a preliminary look at the small towns in the counties adjacent to Metro Nashville, such as Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, Kingston Springs, Franklin, etc. Nashville is both a medical center, and a distribution hub, so there would be more job opportunities in the greater Nashville area.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:39 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlandDee View Post
Hi...my family is considering relocating to TN and I am trying to do some research so that we can plan a visit to a promising community. I am finishing up a course in medical billing and have over 20years of office experience...my husband is currently a local truck driver but has also worked in manufacturing. We would need a good middle school and high school, a community with low crime rate and good possiblilties for rentals. Can anyone offer us some communities to check out. Thank you! We love TN and the people in TN
Besides good schools, what else are you looking for in a town? Do you want to be close to Nashville?

There are many lovely towns in Middle Tennessee. Those closer to Nashville have enjoyed a lot of growth the last 10-20 years.

My personal favorite is Cookeville which is about an hour east of the Nashville airport. It's at a higher elevation than Nashville so has slightly milder summer temperatures. Being on the edge of the Cumberland Plateau means it's close to some breathtaking waterfalls, lakes, gorges, rivers, etc.

It's home to Averitt Express which is a huge trucking company that employs hundreds at their Cookeville headquarters. There are a dozen other trucking companieso with operations in Cookeville.

The hospital in Cookeville just completed an $85 million expansion which doubled its size. It's the largest hospital between Nashville and Knoxville.

Cookeville has an excellent school system thanks in large part to being a college town. Tennessee Tech Univ is not a party school, either. Cookeville HS is one of only 6 high schools in Tennessee with the International Baccalaureate Program. The others are in Nashville, Franklin, and Murfreesboro, I believe.

Being a college town also means Cookeville has a lot more cultural, shopping, and restaurant opportunities that most towns its size don't have.

There's not nearly as much manufacturing in Tennessee as there used to be, and Cookeville is no exception. However, Oreck Vacuum Cleaners moved their factory from Mississippi to Cookeville a couple of years ago and has a large operation, at least for now.

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:25 PM

204 posts, read 876,583 times
Here is a great link to use in respect to schools: Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Of Course I am partial to Clarksville

Old 01-19-2009, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,567 times
Wilson County is 20 miinutes from downtown and 10 minutes from the airport. Taxes are low, homes are reasonable, low crime rate, great shopping, 2nd highest academic ranked school system in the state. Wilson Central High School & Middle school are very highly rated schools. Wilson Co. has the 2nd highest average income per household in the state. Mt. Juliet is the fastest growing city in the mid-south. County Seat is Lebanon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee