Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:36 PM

197 posts, read 1,065,230 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I'm kinda addicted to this forum and check in a daily basis...
I'm still in Indianapolis and have not made the move yet, I want to have the job secured there before any drastic decision.

Basically I have researched a lot and there are a few nice areas in Morristown and around it. House prices in Morristown seem to be a little higher than other areas, but I have already seen some significant drops in the past 4 weeks (this is specifically for Morristown). I was there several times but a few years ago and it's a nice town with beautiful surroundings.....still kinda small to me.....but a contender holding a strong 2nd place in my list of places to call home right now....

If I can make this job transfer happen, the job location will be Morristown, therefore, a short commute to work is also nice. I noticed that a lot of houses have basements and that is also a factor on the higher prices...also what is more expensive to me (coming from Indiana) may be a bargain to you in case you're moving from the West Coast or places like New York City / Washington DC. I found nice houses from the $150K to million dollar homes in lake front properties. There is a builder called Stonebuilder that has some nice sudvisions.....google it and you will find more info....I also used realtor.com as a good source for housing prices.

Since I mentioned it, my first place in the list for my future home (perhaps) is an area on East Knox Co. called Carter, it has very good homes, afordable, good schools and approx. 15 minutes to downtown Knoxville. You will have to sacrifice the drive to Morristown which will be approx. 30 miles each way, however, I don't believe there will be traffic.

In case you like small towns, please check these 2 nice places: Rogersville and Greeneville. All my research showed very positive comments on both.

Let's keep talking and exchanging data, who knows, we may become next door neighbors

When are you moving ? Do you already have a firm job ? (if you don't mind me asking)

I have a 3 yr. old son and schools / safety is a huge factor in my decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 03:20 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
The good thing about Greeneville/Morristown connection is that living in western Greene County and commuting to Morristown for work is definitely quite do-able.

The downside is that western Greene County really is no better than Morristown.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:43 PM

7 posts, read 29,052 times
Hi there, thanks to everyone and especially to hoosier07 for the info. Yes I do have a firm job there and I have the same concerns as you concerning safety and school zones. I am looking for good elementary schools for my kids and also a rental house while exploring the housing market. I could not locate the Stonebuilder in Morristown but I looked at house prices on realtor.com website. I am planning to drive to TN and visit the area to get a better picture. Let's keep exchanging on this great forum and maybe one day we may see each other in the area.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:54 PM
PYM

3 posts, read 12,306 times
Default Pym

Just a quick comment about Morristown, TN. I chose this town as a pre-retirement location, mainly to be near one of my daughters who has lived here since 1990. She's an engineer for one of the automotive parts plants. I've lived overseas and in Washington, D.C. most of my adult life, as well as Florida and New Mexico. This is my first experience living in the south. Here are a couple of statistics about the state which I heard referenced on a Knoxville TV station: Tennessee has the highest prescription drug use in the country; and 25% of Tennessee's population has less than a high school education. The town itself is mainly Baptist. There are more than 170 churches and lots of used car dealers. We have one daily paper which only rarely prints a letter to the editor and only if it's favorable about someone or something in the town. There is a lot of litter. Crime is low. Houses are very affordable. Public schools are mediocre at best. As someone else suggested, it's best to visit a few times and check it out for yourself. I plan to have one "final" retirement location, possibly Greenville, SC, but for now, Morristown is a place where as a single person, I can feel safe and comfortable. Fortunately, I don't have to use the school system.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:46 PM

Thank you PYM for your comments. If the public schools are mediocre at best what about private schools? Any suggestions on a particular good private school (if any)? Thanking you in advance for the info.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:31 PM
PYM

Default private schools in Morristown

All Saints' Episcopal School covers pre-school through grade 8 (www.allsaintsepiscopalschool.org) and there are a few other Christian schools. All Saints is where most of the doctors and corporate executives send their kids. I volunteered at a Morristown elementary school for two years (needed to stop to do work on my house), working with kindergarten and first graders. It had been years since I was in any kind of public school, and I was amazed at the number of interruptions in the classroom, esp., in these grade levels. There has been such an influx of Hispanics to Morristown that when they start school, they need English lessons. So, they leave their regular class once or twice a day for ESL lessons and then return to class. Also, special ed students are mainstreamed and they, too, leave the regular classroom for special ed instruction of varying kinds. And...there are students who leave for speech classes. It was very aggravating for the teachers and very little learning occurs under these circumstances. Morristown just recently started an international center on the Walters State campus where non-English speakers can receive ESL instruction before attending regular classes. Don't know how this will work out but it should help. And remember that a lot of learning takes place peer-to-peer. In the school where I volunteered, most of the students were on the school lunch program and many came from broken or dysfunctional families. It was really very sad to see so many young children in such need, and the school did its best to do what it could. There are better elementary schools, so I've heard, esp. on the west side of town. Our local paper's website is: www.citizentribune.com, and from there you can find links to the school board and other community resources. Also check out these websites for regional news: www.wate.com (ABC affiliate in Knoxville); www.wbir.com (NBC affiliate in Knoxville). I forget the call sign for the CBS affiliate but you should be able to Google it. A lot of newcomers to this area homeschool their kids. Let's face it. Public school in this country is just not what it used to be. I'm sure you'll be able to find a suitable one for your children. And parental involvement is just as important as classroom instruction. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Thank you very much PYM for such a great info. I will check all the websites out and get more details. When does the school starts in Morristown? July, August?
Thanks a lot

Old 05-04-2007, 07:27 AM
PYM

Default Think school starts in August

...but I'm not sure. Google "Hamblen County School Board" or there should be a link through Citizen Tribune.com.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:45 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
In Washington, Jefferson and Greene Co's schools start August 15th. I would assume Hamblin County starts around the same time give or take a day.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:28 PM

Thanks a lot. I will check the citizen tribune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee