Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:16 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamallama1 View Post
No, haven't visited there. We are still considering a business opportunity in that area. I don't think the tough economy will be a problem for our business but it would concern me if it has affected the quality of the schools and general quality of life in the area. From my research it appears Hardin county schools are pretty good. Is there a lot of obvious poverty in the area? Is there access to decent grocery and healthcare services?

Any comments would be appreciated. It's so hard to familarize yourself with an area when you've never been there or know anyone who has....we're just not quite to the point of visiting yet....need to investigate the business more.

Obvious poverty? Not really any more than a normal small town. I mean, if you're coming from a good sized city, there's not much to the town in the first place.

Grocery/healthcare....not much from my perspective...but again, I didn't grow up in a small town.

It's the biggest town for miles. It's 50 miles from anything of any real size (Florence, AL, and Jackson, TN).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 6,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I would take what "stuckintn" says with a grain of salt. Anyone who joins a website like this with a user name like that isn't here to help people.

I know a number of people from the Savannah area. They're generally nice people. How nice depends on one's perspective.

If I were you, I'd worry a little more about the local economy. It's generally not doing too great in a lot of the small towns and rural areas.

I don't know personally of the social circle on the local level. The thing with small towns is there's sometimes an "everybody knows everybody" type thing going on. Small towns can be a little on the gossipy side...but also close knit (friends help out friends).

My question...have you visited Savannah?

I was pretty frustrated when I posted the first time. I must correct myself. There are nice people here. It's like you said. Small town is slow to accept outsiders. It has been quite some time since I lived in a small town. It now for me is more of feeling like a fish out of water. Pickwick area is very nice. As far as medical there really aren't too many professionals here and we have been referred to either Nashville or Jackson. As far as business here it seems often times when we hire someone to do something here at home they always look at our house first then tell us the cost. I have made friends here and find the bill is not always the same per customer. As we live here we are meeting the business owners you can rely on and trust. If you are used to just going to the store and buying what you want you won't always find it. I guess there is a tradeoff for living country life. We have quite a few neighbors that should not own livestock of any kind. ASPCA should step in on that. Working on it. I think moving here is ok depending on which part you choose. We didn't investigate and ended up in a pretty depressed area. Pickwick is nice though. My kids are grown so I can't vouch for the school systems. Overall, it's a small town and you just have to decide if that's what you want. There are transplants moving here every day and I suspect the complaints I have will ultimately decrease.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:03 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
if your looking for a small quaint town with frindly people and a slower pace of life...savannah has it.

i actually live about 30 mins semi north of savannah, only been here a month but loving it out here in the middle of nowhere...(comming from the north east i LOVE the slow pace, frinedly people ect)
savannah has al the basic nesescities (walmart, lowes, grocery stores basic clothes ect, and a ride doen to the shoals will get you malls and a regional airport, your also a day trip distance from memphis and could do nashville as a day trip too if you got an early start.

you get tornado and big storm activity here...it is after all western tn...and savanna has the added river risk for those by the water, but most of tn is tornado prone and im told this general area doesnt typiclaly get hit as hard as the more northern W.TN counties.

ive been here a month now and everyones been so nice...
im orignally from the uk so i get alot of "where are you from? i love your accent" but nothing in a detrimental type tone...people seem to be GENUINLY Nice not that fake stuff im used to in ct...when they smile at you here its because they want to, not because they have to...
least thats ben my experience so far.

if you like the nightlife, lots of activity, ect...this might not be the best area for you...its slow, its quiet, alot of rural development (small farms ect), if thats what your looking for...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee