Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:16 PM

423 posts, read 1,404,904 times

Advertisements

A BIG WOO HOO to Dolly! She is a national treasure, truly. Her "Coat of Many Colors" still makes me cry.

When my daughter was very young, the Dolly Parton variety show was running, back in the early 1980s. My daughter adored her, and asked me time and again if Dolly could babysit her. I learned to sing, listening to Dolly, Linda Ronstadt, Joan Baez and others of that day. Congrats to you, Dolly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 AM

300 posts, read 1,455,872 times
Oh my granddaughter, Lakota, loves Dolly like that too. She wants to go to Dollywood so bad because she said she saw on the website that the coat of many colors is on display up there. I cannot afford to take her to see it, but maybe some day I will. I live an hour away and have never been myself. Everyone here at work tells me I would love it if I went. I don't do rides and all that but they say I wold enjoy the music and crafts. Maybe some day I will get the money and can take Lakota to see that coat she dreams of seeing.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:35 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,148 times
I am a huge fan of Dolly's but not of the giving of honorary doctorates. I think they are a slap in the face to every person that has given up their life savings to send themselves and or children to college. I worked very hard for my degree and I don't appreciate Universities giving them a way on a whim. I don't care who it is or what they have done.

There is a lot of controversy related to honorary doctorates as quoted from Wikipedia:

Some universities and colleges have been accused of granting honorary degrees in exchange for large donations. Honorary degree recipients, particularly those who have no prior academic qualifications, have sometimes been criticized if they insist on being called "Doctor" as a result of their award, as the honorific may mislead the general public about their qualifications.

Maya Angelou comes to mind. She calls herself Dr. Angelou on the lecture circuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee