Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 12,420 times

Advertisements

Greetings from the Sandia Mtns. outside of Albuqueruqe NM.
This is my first time posting here and I haven't had a chance to really look around yet, so if I ask a question that may have been asked somewhere else previously, please accept my apology.

My husband and I are considering moving back to TN. and would like to find a house for rent in a rural area between Knoxville and Sweetwater TN. We don't mind being within 10-20 miles of a relatively mid-sized town, ( ie-one that may have a Walmart). My husband is retired from the Air Force after 24 years, and we both are disabled but are autonomous for the most part but require monthly Dr. visits. We also would like to be able to meet folks and make some new friends. So aren't looking to be hermits exactly!

What we really would like is to find a place that has 2 bedrooms, a laundry room, wood stove or wood furnace, and good well water. We also would like all the appliances if possible and a fenced in yard with maybe enough space for a garden. I haven't been able to grow a decent tomato in NM in 10 years!!! The last tomatos I grew were in Floyd Co. VA. and the average tomatoe was 3 lbs...no kidding! They were huge and with a slice of homemade bread and some mayonnaise, yummy, what a wonderful lunch they made!

Here in NM the average family homes are rather small compared to those back east. Unless one works for Intel or the Sandia Labs and has a great income, then the houses are HUGE. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground. I really miss the large two story southern homes I got used to living in when I lived in TN and especially in VA. Not to mention green grass, and green trees. I would rather have our Southwestern Coyotes instead of the Copperhead snakes that we had in VA though. Do you have Copperheads in TN. I don't remember?
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...riginals-1.jpg

This coyote pup's mom died after being attacked by a wolf, which is totally unheard of where we live. She would come and drink from a little water fountain in my flower bed. Her brother who was much stronger survived ,this little gal didn't make it and coyotes are so common and considered to be such pests that animal control would not even come to pick her up.

It's been my experience that most rural homes aren't advertised in the classifieds for rent, and if the owners would consider renting, about the only way we would ever hear of them is by knowing a family memeber or just plain ole " word of mouth".

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we might go about finding a rental in the country via the internet?

We would be so grateful for any ideas you might have to share with us and for your taking the time from your busy day to share with us. Do you suppose some of the Realty companies would handle something like this?
Would it be unreasonable to hope to find something like we've described for around 650.00 a month or "cross my fingers" maybe less? Everything out here is so expensive and it's been so long since I lived in TN, I don't know what a reasonable rental rate is anymore there.

I am so homesick for TN, and VA I can't stand it, and Michael my husband was born in WVA. so he wants to see some homefolks and greenery also!

We look forward to hearing for ya'll. God Bless you.

Rachele & Michael

Here is a picture taken on a hiking path not far from where we live. This is at about 10.500 ft. We live at about 8500 ft ourselves and we are about 15 miles from this spot.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/12...OF_ROCK_NM.gif

Last edited by CountryBound_Lord_Willing; 02-22-2009 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Enlarging font
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:16 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Yes, we have copperheads here. And a few rattlers! And cottonmouths! ;-)

They're all pretty easy to avoid with a little commonsense, so I wouldn't worry about them if I were you.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 12,420 times
Thank you for the good news alleycat ! LOL I knew about the rattlesnakes, and cottonmouth, but couldn't remember if TN had the copperheads or not. We had them in VA, and they are some mean, ornery snakes, but oh so beautiful! My husband eats rattlesnakes. He likes them done in ShakeNBake, but I dont go there myself!
Thank you again for posting. I hope you have a great day!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:06 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Try Lycos..... classified section..... once open pick a town / city with in 10-25-50 miles

Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Often homes for rent are not advertized. They are ususally not vacant for long via word of mouth or just a sign in the yard. I would suggest checking with a realtor as they may have the skinny on rentals as well as homes for sale or would know folk who are willing to rent or lease as houses arent exactly selling like hotcakes these days. Good luck with your move and be ready for the cooperheads and coyotes.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM

420 posts, read 1,535,199 times
Thanks for the Sandia photos---I love that area.

You have a large area to consider. I'd get in touch with a real estate agent who also handles rentals. You might connect with someone in Lenoir City or Maryville and see what you find. Craigslist can also be a helpful resource (look under both Knoxville and Chattanooga).

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee