U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2007, 12:03 PM
 
197 posts, read 994,611 times
Reputation: 55

Advertisements

I took a very good look over the internet on the housing available in East TN region and 80% of the ones I saw have a "walk out basement" (at least that's how it's called here in Indianapolis). Usually in East TN you have to build a basement in order to put the house in a flat surface, which creates a two car garage in the basement and allows some extra space for storage, etc. The houses end up looking very, very nice, because you don't see the huge garage doors in front of it. I really like it and I bet a lot of people also do. The question I have is the following, have anyone finished a basement with a wall between the cars and the rest of the basement and created a living area in the remaining of the basement ? How much that would cost ? Would you need a special permit for that ? Thanks for any feedback.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2007, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Sahuarita, AZ
38 posts, read 178,388 times
Reputation: 38
I did it in Marietta Ga. I did all of the design and labor and built it to match the rest of the upstairs, cove molding, carpeting and all. I had a rec room/bar and two bedrooms. I left some room in the garage for storage. Anyway, total came to about 15K. Oh, almost forgot, the carpeting was done by a contractor. No permits were required. Took me about three months of after work and weekend time. I am moving to Tn. in July and plan to do the same thing all over again as I am specifically looking for houses with unfinished (and dry) basements... Hope this helps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2007, 12:42 PM
 
3,910 posts, read 9,858,257 times
Reputation: 3119
When it comes to finishing out basements, the sky's the limit. As the previous poster said, it can be done for $15K, but you can also go as high as your budget will allow. There's a small company in Franklin that does a lot of these, and some are amazing. One was over 2,000 square feet and included 3 bedrooms, a kitchen, home gym, 2 sided fireplace, you get the idea. Even a small space could run high if you used a top designer and expensive materials. Home theatres and in-law quarters are both popular configurations. Lots of Murphy beds for guest room/offices, party areas with bars, and "teen spaces" with dance floors and DJ booths. Incredible......

Good luck! Let us know what you end up doing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2007, 05:22 PM
 
Location: South of DAYTON
1,253 posts, read 4,470,757 times
Reputation: 620
Thumbs up Dry First.

H7; We did some Spring OPEN House stuff a week ago. Many new BIG houses have almost Bowling Ally capacity now in basements. I was amazed.
We do have many Sloping Lots here so one side of the foundation should always be walk out. On a re-sale you should be able to tell if DAMP or Musty.
Check if enough Head Room clearance. I would not go the wall to wall carpet route. Saw one house half tile great room and guy was building Custom HOG motorcycles on roll around dolly lifts. Also each room had a TV on wall bracket moveable , nifty like a exercise gym. Leave big open flow areas, not smaller bedroom floorplan.
A wall of kitchen type cabinets and counter top was nifty for happy hour or Super Bowl party crowds. Use only area rugs if stuff spilled, or pets. IMO
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2007, 11:20 PM
 
240 posts, read 1,087,227 times
Reputation: 55
Superior Walls makes the best system. Check it out. Could build 1000 sf basement for about 24000 dollars including digging if needed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 AM
 
3 posts, read 8,670 times
Reputation: 10
Renovating your basement can be very tricky because you have to produce a lot of lighting equipment for your basement. It can also be a little bit costly because you have to choose some equipments and furniture that is appropriate for basements.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Signal Mountain, Tennessee
849 posts, read 2,745,623 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpartner View Post
I did it in Marietta Ga. I did all of the design and labor and built it to match the rest of the upstairs, cove molding, carpeting and all. I had a rec room/bar and two bedrooms. I left some room in the garage for storage. Anyway, total came to about 15K. Oh, almost forgot, the carpeting was done by a contractor. No permits were required. Took me about three months of after work and weekend time. I am moving to Tn. in July and plan to do the same thing all over again as I am specifically looking for houses with unfinished (and dry) basements... Hope this helps.
Oldpartner - What was your square footage that you finished? I have heard that the cost to finish a basement space isabout $40/ft and up. Obviously the skys the limit, but at $40/ft vs a higher standard of $125/ft and up these days for normal finished spaces this is a worthwhile project for sure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
 
2 posts, read 9,834 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
When it comes to finishing out basements, the sky's the limit. As the previous poster said, it can be done for $15K, but you can also go as high as your budget will allow. There's a small company in Franklin that does a lot of these, and some are amazing. One was over 2,000 square feet and included 3 bedrooms, a kitchen, home gym, 2 sided fireplace, you get the idea. Even a small space could run high if you used a top designer and expensive materials. Home theatres and in-law quarters are both popular configurations. Lots of Murphy beds for guest room/offices, party areas with bars, and "teen spaces" with dance floors and DJ booths. Incredible......

Good luck! Let us know what you end up doing.
Can you tell me what the name is of the "small company" in Franklin that builds great walk-out basements? We just bought a lot there, and will be building when we retire in a few years.
Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 02:00 PM
 
3,910 posts, read 9,858,257 times
Reputation: 3119
Sure, I'll DM you. Funny this came up now. I was at a party Saturday in Concord Hunt (Brentwood subdivision) and this company did their basement. It was beautiful! High ceilings, beautiful kitchen/bar area in the theatre, and intricate tilework in the shower.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 03:29 PM
 
2 posts, read 9,834 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Sure, I'll DM you. Funny this came up now. I was at a party Saturday in Concord Hunt (Brentwood subdivision) and this company did their basement. It was beautiful! High ceilings, beautiful kitchen/bar area in the theatre, and intricate tilework in the shower.
Thank you soooo much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top