Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:41 PM

11 posts, read 32,538 times

Advertisements

reason why? pollution? mining? ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 06:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
The number one reason is that the entire region is in a valley.

What contributes to it?

Traffic. The TVA. ORNL, among other factors.

Nuclear Waste Zoom In @ National Geographic Magazine

TVA: Dams and Power Plants

Old 05-26-2008, 06:56 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Hmm, i was just there Friday through Monday, got home tonight, and didn't think the air quality was a problem. Other than my allergies acting up but that was from all the blossoming wild flowers and trees.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:33 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Be careful out there folks. NWS is showing a air quality alert that covers the entire valley areas of east Tennessee, from Chattanooga, all the way up into Tri-Cities metro and even up into adjacent southwest Virginia.

I just wanted to say that I think it is very nice and considerate of you to give everybody a heads up.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:05 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
No problem. Always glad to help.

Someone was asking about the pollution. Actually, this was the first time I had seen it so widespread and its not really nothing you can smell or anything, but it obviously supposed to be unhealthy for sensitive people.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:26 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
Is there anyplace to find out what the pollen count is everyday. Or what the pollen is for the day?
I never knew the count could exceed 100% But on occasion I have seen on the news that it is like over 340%. When they add up all the different ones.
About six months after I moved here I started having allergy problems. Never had them before. Started with eyes watering continually. Then after a few more months. I got drainage in one ear, now in both. I have met alot of people with this.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Hmm, i was just there Friday through Monday, got home tonight, and didn't think the air quality was a problem. Other than my allergies acting up but that was from all the blossoming wild flowers and trees.
I don't think Newport is much affected by the air quality issues. I could be wrong about this, but I think it is more in the valley from Chattanooga to Knoxville.

I've asked two doctors about the allergy issues, and both said that it is to be expected. We live in a valley where there are an abundance of trees and flowers overhead. Allergens just come down the mountain.

I think I'm building up a resistance because the allergy problem isn't as bad as when I first moved here, three years ago. Or maybe I'm just use to it.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:09 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Is there anyplace to find out what the pollen count is everyday. Or what the pollen is for the day?
I never knew the count could exceed 100% But on occasion I have seen on the news that it is like over 340%. When they add up all the different ones.
Here are a few resources you can check out:

Allergy Weather Forecast - Pollen.com - Hay Fever Relief - 4 Day Allergy Alert Forecast

Seasonal Allergies, Allergy Relief, Pollen Forecast - weather.com

Local Pollen Count

FWIW, pollen counts are based on the number of pollen grains per cubic meter of air, averaged over a 24-hour period.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:24 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
About six months after I moved here I started having allergy problems. Never had them before. Started with eyes watering continually. Then after a few more months. I got drainage in one ear, now in both. I have met alot of people with this.

Here are a few more links that may help you.
Air | Browse EPA Topics | US EPA (http://www.epa.gov/ebtpages/air.html - broken link)
Lungreports (http://www.lungaction.org/reports - broken link)
TDEC: OEA: Radon Program
There is a whole lot of info on these sites, and you can always search on the main TN forum here on city-data. This has been brought up quite a bit, and there is alot of information contained within here. It would be worth checking out.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:51 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Despite "full leaves on trees", we are still having pollen issues. My white car has been green with pollen since March. I washed it 3 days ago and its green again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee