Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2007, 01:20 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times

Advertisements

Does TN impose income taxes on distributions from personal retirement plans like IRAs and 401Ks?

Thanks,

Doc1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 10:47 AM

176 posts, read 799,758 times
Default Here is the good tax news from Tennessee

Below is a quotation from an explanation of the tax code.

As the Tennessee income tax does not apply to salaries and wages, items of income such as Social Security and pension income are not subject to state tax. Tenn. Code Ann. Section 67-2-104(m) provides that income from stocks and bonds of pension trusts and profit-sharing trusts which are exempt from federal income taxation shall be exempt from the state income tax. This includes such accounts as IRA and 401(k) accounts. Distributions from IRAs and 401(k) plans are also exempt.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:44 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradio View Post
Below is a quotation from an explanation of the tax code.

As the Tennessee income tax does not apply to salaries and wages, items of income such as Social Security and pension income are not subject to state tax. Tenn. Code Ann. Section 67-2-104(m) provides that income from stocks and bonds of pension trusts and profit-sharing trusts which are exempt from federal income taxation shall be exempt from the state income tax. This includes such accounts as IRA and 401(k) accounts. Distributions from IRAs and 401(k) plans are also exempt.
Thanks for the info, mrradio

Old 12-28-2008, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 9,139 times
Default tn inherit tax

I live in Tn and am inheriting an ira. is it taxable

Old 12-28-2008, 09:17 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
You should ask your cpa, accountant, attorney or financial advisor, and not rely on advice given from people on the internet that may or may not know the answer.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:08 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt 135 View Post
You mention the word "inherit" as in someone leaving it to you in a will? Could that be the difference and why it is taxable?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt 135 View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

Barking Spider is right, you really need to ask an accountant. This forum is not some sort of official Tennessee bureau.

Or you can find the info on the Tennessee Department of Revenue web site:

Taxes (http://www.tennessee.gov/revenue/taxes/index.htm - broken link)

or specifically the page that discusses the income tax on dividents, bonds, or stocks:

http://state.tn.us/revenue/tntaxes/indinc.htm (broken link)

Or you can call the Tennessee Department of Revenue, toll free:
(800) 342-1003

Last edited by mbmouse; 12-29-2008 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-29-2008, 02:05 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
just a reminder-------------you would still owe FEDERAL taxes( walt135)

Old 12-31-2008, 03:55 PM

136 posts, read 461,776 times
Walt 135,

I went thru this a couple of years ago. I live in Tennessee, my Father lived in Virginia. Since he died in Virginia there was no Tennessee estate tax (although Virginia took a slice) and I owed no Tennessee inheritence taxes (since the estate was in Virginia). If, however, my Father had lived in Tennessee, there would have been both a State estate tax and I would have paid an inheritence tax as well. At the time, I was redoing my own estate plans since I was new to Tennessee, so I verified this with the attorney I was working with - a women who actually co-wrote a book titled "Estate Planning in Tennessee." Some of the estate was in an IRA, some was not - and it made no difference in how it was treated - money is money!

One warning - inheriting an IRA has to be handled very carefully. For example, you have to make sure it is retitled correctly. You can't role an inherited IRA over into an IRA you may already have. If the original owner of the IRA was taking Required Minimum Distributions, you need to continue taking them, but at an amount based on your age. Etc, Etc, Etc. BE CAREFUL or you could face a tax bill and/or penalties. Get some good advice, particularly if this is a large IRA.

But JMT is right - check this out yourself. I can only tell you what happened to me. Your circumstances may be different and I am certainly not an expert on this stuff - just been thru it not long ago.

Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee