Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2007, 07:39 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times

Advertisements

I'm hopefully in the process of purchasing land in Cocke county in a decent area not out in nowhere land. We wanted to be near the mountains and a small town and we found a large subdivision with minimum of 3 acres per lot that had the most beautiful views of the mountains on rolling hills. (If i knew how to post a picture I would) I have taken 3 trips there. I've talked to business owners, waitresses, residents, potential neighbors, even a few on the forum who live in the same area and did my research both good and bad. I haven't heard anyone say they hate it there and want to leave. Everyone i talked to loved where they live.

I recently read a tip on another thread that said to ask ask and ask more questions about your potetential place to live which I did and was quite happy with what i heard. Then a comment was posted to me NOT to believe what i'm told especially by people in Cocke county. What is one to believe? I mean i know the answer, but it's not something i was expecting as a reply by all means. I mean basicially it's like saying if i was to go over the county line 50' and ask the same questions, i should believe that person but not the one who lives 50' over the line in Cocke county? Yeah, there's definately some places I would not want to live in Cocke county but there's also a few places that haven't been discovered by many and i just happened to find one. Point being, believe those you encounter rather than reading a post by someone who's never lived there before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 08:35 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
agreed! first hand experience (talking to the horse's mouth) is way more valuable than reading comments. But if you can't make it to the area you want to consider, the forum may be the next best thing.

pay just as much attention to who is posting (and what they post in other threads) rather than just what is being posted.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:30 AM

25 posts, read 139,799 times
Default Go with your heart

Danielle, we have property just on the other side of the Cocke/ Greene county line. It is truely God's country. Ok sure, the folks in Greene joke about Cocke but it seems more like rivalry to me. The folks I've met in the area are all really nice--and some live in Cocke county.

Keep in mind, that many who post on this forum "ain't from around here" and probably know less than you do about your chosen area.

Welcome, neighbor!

Old 03-31-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUinTN View Post
Danielle, we have property just on the other side of the Cocke/ Greene county line. It is truely God's country. Ok sure, the folks in Greene joke about Cocke but it seems more like rivalry to me. The folks I've met in the area are all really nice--and some live in Cocke county.

Keep in mind, that many who post on this forum "ain't from around here" and probably know less than you do about your chosen area.

Welcome, neighbor!
Thank you. We've been researching for over a year now and been there 3 times so i'm quite confident we will be happy living there. It reminds of back home growing up around the mountains in N.H. It's just too cold to go back that far north.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:41 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times
DF,

Congrats on finally finding your slice of heaven!!! Would you mind sharing how much the lot cost, I'm asking just to see how much the land had increased in value there, I haven't made it to TN, yet, but the movers are here on monday (getting close).

Again, congrats.

Tony in WA

Old 03-31-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
DF,

Congrats on finally finding your slice of heaven!!! Would you mind sharing how much the lot cost, I'm asking just to see how much the land had increased in value there, I haven't made it to TN, yet, but the movers are here on monday (getting close).

Again, congrats.

Tony in WA
Just sent you a PM but i forgot to mention that in this particular area, the prices have jumped very fast. in 7 months, one lot has gone up $50,000 but i think it's because private owners are trying to sell on their own and make a quick buck but if you were to see the views they offer, it's no suprise they're going so fast because views like these are hard to find.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:57 PM

6 posts, read 18,233 times
Default Reminds me of NH too

After having spent 25-plus years in the midwest we chose to move to TN this past summer. Having grown up in New Hampshire, you are definitely right, it's NH with a different accent!

Old 03-31-2007, 04:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
All I did was post this link about the county:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_3967869,00.html (broken link)

You want to buy there, then do so. I was only worried about you. No ulterior motives.

In fact, I'm quite hesitant to assist anyone on this forum after I made you so upset. I am just posting an article about a county that has a checkered past, to put it mildly. I did not make this news up. And you said that a few people were not particularly nice to you when you were in Tennessee.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase.Your not moving for quite a few years, anyway. Things will have changed by then, I'm sure, and you will be better able to evaluate the situation.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:43 PM

Well i wasn't going to give out any specific names but since you replied this was your quote..

"Hey Danielle, when it comes to Cocke County, I wouldn't take the word of anyone there. They could be indicted!"

You didn't make me upset at all. I was quite shocked that being such an open and welcoming state I have portrayed TN as that you would turn on your own but then again, your not a native of TN either. Yes i did run into some rude people and also some wonderful people but i also said we traveled throughout 3 counties NOT just Cocke county. You and I are have always been on opposite sides no matter what the topic from the day i came on board the forum and it just irks me that you have never lived in that area yet your degrading everyone that lives in that county. It's not fair to them and it's not fair to those who want to make a new life in that area and maybe make it a better place by having better people move in. I guess if i move to Cocke county and offer some great advice to any potential newcomers, they just better not believe what i say then. Sorry about the vent but i just hate it when people are classified as a whole when in all realty it could just be a handful. And yes, i've read that article. You've sent it to me 3 times already.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:55 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
Default clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
agreed! first hand experience (talking to the horse's mouth) is way more valuable than reading comments. But if you can't make it to the area you want to consider, the forum may be the next best thing.

pay just as much attention to who is posting (and what they post in other threads) rather than just what is being posted.

just wanted to say that I WAS NOT referring to hiknapster in this comment. I've observed some very negative people on the Miami, FL board who have nothing good to say about the area, and had those types in mind...

thank you & goodnight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee