Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 04:00 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
I went to a temp agency in Crossville. I think the unemployment rate here is about 12 percent.

And companies are always hiring. They may not be adding more employees but someone is always getting fired or quiting that needs to be replaced.
Can you please give us some examples of companies that are always hiring?
Most of the larger companies I know in the area I am in all have historically had a very low turn over rate. If people in this general region get a good job, they keep it. But now even those who have been at jobs for 10 or so years are getting laid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 04:13 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
I think it's intirely dependant on what you do for a living. A construction workers is going to have a much harder time finding a new job without switching careers than a mediocal professional. Also, the older you get, the harder it is to find a new job. Employers are often reluctant to hire older workers and/or pay them what their many years of experience demands.
Very true. But this is true at any time.

Nobody cared when oil companies were losing billions in the 1970s and 1980s. Or when computer people lost jobs in the late 90s. Why should I care if a construction worker can't find a job now?

And there is all kinds of construction going on in Cumberland County. Can't go anywhere in Crossville, Fairfield Glade or Lake Tansi without seeing new construction. Construction workers here are only unemployed because they want to be.

The fact that employers won't hire older workers is proof that anti- discrimination laws are a complete joke and therefore should be eliminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Can you please give us some examples of companies that are always hiring?
Most of the larger companies I know in the area I am in all have historically had a very low turn over rate. If people in this general region get a good job, they keep it. But now even those who have been at jobs for 10 or so years are getting laid off.
I've never worked for a company that wasn't hiring. There is always someone retiring, quiting or getting fired that needs replaced. Right now it is not necessary for companies to advertise jobs as there are fewer of them to be filled. Just because there are fewer openings doesn't mean companies aren't hiring. I believe Knoxville has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. This should be good for all of East Tennessee.

Here is what I did. I have also done this in the past when the economy was in good shape and I wanted a new job.

I lost my job due to a law passed in Congress that placed an unecessary monetary burden on my company. I went to a temp agency and got another job. It was entry level and the hours were awful. But, it was a job.

Then I went to the Cumberland County Chamber of Commerce and asked for a list of all manufacturing companies in the County. It also had the names of the CEOs/Presidents of said companies and FAX number. I believe it cost me $3.

I then picked which companies I thought were in good shape. Faxed a resume directly to the person on the list. I had no idea if the company was looking for someone or not nor did I care. I sent 30 faxes. 12 companies called. I secured 8 interviews and 2 offers.

Most Chambers have these lists for different industries in their towns/counties. Faxing with the main person's name gaurantees the resume won't get lost in a pile on the HRs person desk.

By taking the temp job (at considerable less pay than I was making) showed potential employers that I am willing to work. Too many people that lose their jobs sit around and feel sorry for themselves and that shows in an interview. Or they won't take a temp job because it is "beneath" them. I think every job is vitally important or it wouldn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That was last year.

It was right after the economy collapsed. If you remember things went south in Oct.

Last edited by Beretta; 04-18-2009 at 09:45 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 06:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
It was right after the economy collapsed. If you remember things went south in Oct.
And things have gone more south. When Walmart and McDonald's aren't hiring, we are in dire straits.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:15 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,728 times
Quote:
I've never worked for a company that wasn't hiring. There is always someone retiring, quiting or getting fired that needs replaced. Right now it is not necessary for companies to advertise jobs as there are fewer of them to be filled. Just because there are fewer openings doesn't mean companies aren't hiring. I believe Knoxville has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. This should be good for all of East Tennessee.

Here is what I did. I have also done this in the past when the economy was in good shape and I wanted a new job.

I lost my job due to a law passed in Congress that placed an unecessary monetary burden on my company. I went to a temp agency and got another job. It was entry level and the hours were awful. But, it was a job.

Then I went to the Cumberland County Chamber of Commerce and asked for a list of all manufacturing companies in the County. It also had the names of the CEOs/Presidents of said companies and FAX number. I believe it cost me $3.

I then picked which companies I thought were in good shape. Faxed a resume directly to the person on the list. I had no idea if the company was looking for someone or not nor did I care. I sent 30 faxes. 12 companies called. I secured 8 interviews and 2 offers.

Most Chambers have these lists for different industries in their towns/counties. Faxing with the main person's name gaurantees the resume won't get lost in a pile on the HRs person desk.

By taking the temp job (at considerable less pay than I was making) showed potential employers that I am willing to work. Too many people that lose their jobs sit around and feel sorry for themselves and that shows in an interview. Or they won't take a temp job because it is "beneath" them. I think every job is vitally important or it wouldn't exist.
Excellent points.

Add to it; call any company that showed any interest, or at least didn't say no, back and keep showing interest in working for them. One job I needed I got that way over others who were also applying. I showed I wanted the job, was interested in working for them and was willing to exert myself.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Excellent points.

Add to it; call any company that showed any interest, or at least didn't say no, back and keep showing interest in working for them. One job I needed I got that way over others who were also applying. I showed I wanted the job, was interested in working for them and was willing to exert myself.

By faxing resumes you can also get in before the company runs an ad. I have had people call me that said they were just getting ready to run an ad when they received my resume. So I didn't have to to compete with 500 other candidates.

howing interest is also important. I had a job once where I had to interview people, and we almost always had open positions. I couldn't believe the amount of people that showed up wearing blue jeans and t-shirts. I wasn't expecting them to wear suits but 99% of the job was interacting with the public. They told me they wern't serious before I even asked them a question.

I know it isn't easy to find a job right now in most parts of the country but I think too many people start feeling sorry for themselves or get the attitude they they aren't going to get the job before they ever apply. That comes across right away and of course they don't get the job.

That is one of the reasons I took the temp job even though I didn't really want it. I knew if I was working I would feel better about my situation and would have a better attitude while looking for something that was more suited for me. Plus, I figured it might lead to something better within that company. It didn't but it might have. No way that could have happened if I was collecting unemployment. Then again, that works for some people.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:35 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,132 times
I lost my job at the end of February due to my company filing Ch 7 bankruptcy. I worked there for almost 13 years and had an excellent track record. The owners gave me a really nice letter of recommendation and their personal phone numbers, so that I could list them for referrences. I immediately went out of the gate obsessed with finding a job. I spent 2 days working on a resume and then had an HR mgr friend of mine (who also lost her job)...review it. I have been doing all the right things. I apply for jobs CONSTANTLY. Everything is done online now...it's a different world from 13 years ago. I started off applying for jobs in my field because that's where my experience is...but then I started branching out and applying for anything that I might remotely be qualified for. I even apply for any customer service jobs that I see. I have yet to even get a call for an interview. Most of these companies just tell me I have to follow the process...apply online or they can send me form if I don't have a computer and if they are interested they will contact me. It all gets very depressing. I try to keep a really positive attitude though. I'm a pretty upbeat person. I think most companies, even though they post jobs, are holding off to actually HIRE a person. They are waiting for things to start to turn around. I think that ANYONE who has a job should thank GOD for it. If you get a job these days....you are one of the lucky few. It doesn't bother me that someone tries to say that I'm just not working hard enought to get a job, because I know differently. I just hope that things turn around soon....it's very scary.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:15 AM

37 posts, read 119,700 times
Edgefield:

Best of luck to you. I know of the stress you are enduring right now.....been there, done that.

You keep your chin up, things are bound to turn around for you eventually.

Jan

Old 04-19-2009, 09:27 AM

710 posts, read 1,961,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
I lost my job at the end of February due to my company filing Ch 7 bankruptcy. I worked there for almost 13 years and had an excellent track record. The owners gave me a really nice letter of recommendation and their personal phone numbers, so that I could list them for referrences. I immediately went out of the gate obsessed with finding a job. I spent 2 days working on a resume and then had an HR mgr friend of mine (who also lost her job)...review it. I have been doing all the right things. I apply for jobs CONSTANTLY. Everything is done online now...it's a different world from 13 years ago. I started off applying for jobs in my field because that's where my experience is...but then I started branching out and applying for anything that I might remotely be qualified for. I even apply for any customer service jobs that I see. I have yet to even get a call for an interview. Most of these companies just tell me I have to follow the process...apply online or they can send me form if I don't have a computer and if they are interested they will contact me. It all gets very depressing. I try to keep a really positive attitude though. I'm a pretty upbeat person. I think most companies, even though they post jobs, are holding off to actually HIRE a person. They are waiting for things to start to turn around. I think that ANYONE who has a job should thank GOD for it. If you get a job these days....you are one of the lucky few. It doesn't bother me that someone tries to say that I'm just not working hard enought to get a job, because I know differently. I just hope that things turn around soon....it's very scary.
Hang in there, Edge. It sounds as if you are doing everything right. What is your field; are you in Tennessee? I so agree with you about thanking God that we have jobs, those of us who do. It comes up a lot at my place of employment, actually. They are trying to lay off as few people as they possibly can and so far it's been working well. In fact, in my department we still have one part-time (with benefits) position open. It's pretty specialized and not customer-service related or I would tell you to send in your resume--your post was impressive. Surely something will break for you soon! Best of luck to you, Edge.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:25 AM

730 posts, read 1,917,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
I would suggest that whenever possible that you try to find a human being to talk to at a company, get them to know you as a person and a willing worker with talent and experience. Companies do the online requests because they get so many calls for work. By being persistent and finding a way to make it work, you show them you want to work for them, are a diligent worker and find ways to accomplish a goal.

They file the online resumes until they need an employee. Yet many jobs are filled through internal recommendations from existing employees. That is why it is critical to get to know someone who is aware of when a position opens.

I wish you well, as it is hard right now.

I should mention that I am a business owner with two locations, one on CA and one in TX, and maybe one on TN in the future, and I look for people who want to work and show the ability to find a way to work.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:06 PM

Edgefield,

I sent you a link of a website that may be able to help. Check your messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee