Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:38 AM

3 posts, read 24,736 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Tenn, I moved here because I love the area. I understand (sort of) the liquor laws, but I do have a question.....since I moved here from another state that permits liquor, must I relinquish my liquor cabinet contents when I live here? Since liquor is illegal here, I want to be sure I understand the thought process. I certainly don't want to offend any citizen of Sevierville by having liquor in my home. If I must relinquish my liquor, who would I give it to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 01:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Liquor laws have NOTHING to do with what you have in your home. It's not like illegal drugs. Liquor laws affect the buying and selling of liquor. That's all. Not what you have in your home.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 28,034 times
Icasal ..... Welcome to TN and Sevierville. Please understand that it is not illegal to possess liquor here nor is it treated as outlawed contraband. Sevierville is like any other place and some citizens may opt to consume liscensed beverages while others may not. What you have stocked in your house is your own business, and as far as the matter of whom it may offend, well that depends on whom you invite to the private confines of your home. That is your choice.

If you want to purchase resupplies, you will have to drive to Knoxville (cheaper) or make the drive to Gatlinburg. As noted, you may now purchase liquor or wine by the drink in Sevierville at those food establishments that have chosen to sell it. Beer is widely available at most convenient stores and at the local Krogers grocery.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:25 PM

231 posts, read 585,579 times
Luckily for us, Putnam County approved liquor sales last year and a new establishment opened up about 5 miles from our new house...

Old 02-28-2010, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 20,647 times
Dry counties are counties which ban the sale of hard liquors and wine. Beer can be sold in any county except where I live, after midnight no sales of any alcoholic beverage is allowed. White County is a dry county as well.
Campbell, Cumberland, Hancock, Sevier, Lynchburg, Moore County, and White County is the list.
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_county]Dry county - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
Google ftw

Old 03-01-2010, 07:39 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewXC View Post
Dry counties are counties which ban the sale of hard liquors and wine. Beer can be sold in any county except where I live, after midnight no sales of any alcoholic beverage is allowed. White County is a dry county as well.
Campbell, Cumberland, Hancock, Sevier, Lynchburg, Moore County, and White County is the list.
Dry county - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Google ftw
Wikipedia is a splendid source of amazing information... too bad that a significant percentage of it is wrong or misleading. I don't know if the referenced article contains bad information (I followed the link, but didn't read the entire article), and maybe it's one of the good articles. Just realize that ANYONE can edit a wiki article at any time.

Also, there are no "general" rules where Dry Counties are concerned, especially when different cities and jurisdictions inside the counties start messing with the laws. Some areas allow off-premises beer, but no wine or liquor. Some allow wine but not liquor or beer. Some allow warm beer, but not cold beer or any other alcohol (an attempt to reduce drinking while driving). Some allow any drinks with alcohol contents below a certain limit (limits vary from 3% beer to 15% wine). Some allow by-the-drink on-premises alcohol, meaning you have to drink it there and can't take it with you, but nothing that you can take home. Some only outlaw the sale of alcohol, but you can buy it somewhere else, transport it, and consume it. Some allow possession, but you cannot transport it through the county (you can legally drink alcohol at home, but you can't legally get the bottle from the store to your home... go figure). Some restrict the times when alcohol may be sold, and time restrictions vary widely.

Lynchburg is a dry county in TN, but a special state law was passed that allows Jack Daniels to manufacture whiskey and transport it out of the county for sale. They can also sell tiny commemorative bottles on-site to people who take the tour.

So if you want to know what the rules are in a specific location, your best bet is to contact someone in that location. Preferably the local law enforcement entity (sheriff, city police, etc.) or someone who is in the business of selling alcohol.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 20,631 times
Is Gatlinburg located in a dry county where you can not buy beer and or wine when vacationing there?

Thanks

Patti

Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
It's not dry. Shoot, Pigeon Forge has a fairly decent microbrewery.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
You can definitely get beer, wine and liquor in Gatlinburg. You can get beer and wine in Pigeon Forge. I don't think you can get liquor.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 23,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magster View Post
I have researched myself blind and cannot find a list of dry counties in Tennessee. Campbell County is dry: you can buy beer, but no wine, and no hard liquor. A local marina was having a margarita party a few weeks ago. Go figure.
We were told we can bring our own bottle into some local restaurants, but it appears when we move there, we will have to drive to Knoxville to buy my husband's bourbon and my beloved scotch by the case. Knox County is dry, too, but there is a liquor store -- Bob's -- in West Knoxville -- and maybe some others, too. Some cities opt out of their county's "dryness."
It all sounds pretty stupid and inconvienient, not to mention that the counties that don't sell alcohol are losing the tax revenues to those that do.
Whatever...
Cheers,
Maggie
Was the marina serving it on the river itself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee