Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:14 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
Good Morning everybody! Talk about some strange weather. Where I live up here in NH we got a foot of snow last night mixed with severe thunder and lightening. We have several 8 to 9 inch branches down in our back yard. One of them missed the house by mere inches. The snow is so heavy most of the remaining branches are bent to the ground. The electricity went out but it's back on now.One house near by got struck by lightening. Not very often (almost never) do we get a major snowstorm mixed with a massive thunder and lightening storm. All of this in April. To make matters worse, we just got back from 4 days in Tennessee where the weather was warm and the country side was green. Our yard was pretty much bare when we got home. Oh well, that's New England, if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes, it'll change
Snow with large accumulations in April? Must be global warming. (I love New Hampshire. It is one of the states I seriously considered for relocation.)

But seriously, in MD we are supposed to get hit with frigid weather with lows in the 20's beginning tonight through Saturday. It's only 38 degrees now in my end of Maryland but I just checked Weather.com and it's only 35 degrees in Oak Ridge, TN right now and on Saturday they are predicting a low of 25 degrees in Oak Ridge and a high of 46 degrees. That's right, a HIGH of 46 degrees in Tennessee on Saturday.

I checked Johnson City since Oak Ridge isn't in the mountains. It's 34 degrees there right now (8:00A) and you are going to have lows in the 20's through Saturday. Yikes --- I wonder how that will impact Floridians moving to Tennessee...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 06:23 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,217 times
Default 30 degree drop in temps yesterday - SW Pennsylvania

From 60 degrees yesterday morning, I went out at lunchtime to eat my lunch in the car, listen to the radio and read in peace - FREEZING! We got snow last nite, just a dusting this morning, but high winds. It's 27 degrees out right now. I understand hiknapster's fear of storms - especially as she lives in a mobile home!! How well I know!! We don't get tornadoes as often as Tornado Alley, but bad enough to put caution in a person. I used to live in a mobile home - yep, when those tornado warnings come on, you start planning on how quick to jump into the bathtub. I've got a basement now, have had a storm cellar on the farm, and when we move to TN, we'll have a basement.

I've been looking at the Crossville/Jamestown/Oneida/Pikeville areas to move to, but recently got hired at an insurance company that has offices in TN, so that'll put us off for a year, until I can apply for other jobs in the company. They've offices in Brentwood, Franklin, Knoxville, and Ooltwah/Chattanooga TN, as well as Memphis, but Memphis is definitely OUT. So, I'm checking more out of Ooltewah areas of Cleveland, Ocoee and Old Fort. property is a bit more expensive the closer in to the city - I really wanted 20 to 40 acres, but I also will need to commute into town, so that means up to 45 minute drive or 35 miles out. And so it looks like maybe 10 acres if we're lucky. All I've seen in our price range are 5 - 9.5 acres out in the Old Fort, Ocoee and Cleveland areas. Same with acreage with homes already built on them. I REALLY wanted to get some animals, so we'll see. Maybe my hubby will be lucky enough to get year round work, making decent wages, then I won't have to work out of the home. If so, then I'll just continue to make my spare change on Ebay.... and yard sales! And you KNOW how I feel about yard sales!! Yippeeeee to the Longest Yard Sale in the World!!!! I CANNOT WAIT!!

blessings, Shen

Old 04-05-2007, 06:37 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
From 60 degrees yesterday morning, I went out at lunchtime to eat my lunch in the car, listen to the radio and read in peace - FREEZING! We got snow last nite, just a dusting this morning, but high winds. It's 27 degrees out right now. So, I'm checking more out of Ooltewah areas of Cleveland, Ocoee and Old Fort.
I just checked weather.com, and the 10 day forecast for Ocoee - starting today - 57 degrees, partly cloudy to 72 degrees on April 14. Yep, it's certainly not 'global warming' *snicker* here in SW PA. When I was little, I've seen snow in April - so, we're starting thru yet another normal, earthly, 50 year weather cycle. Now, I guess the Al Gore crowd can go back to promoting another disastrous scenario of a coming Ice Age - just like they did back in the 70's. The puny amount of carbon dioxide that we humans put out is infinitismal. Volcanoes put out 90%. Mars is going thru a global warming period right now, too - hmmm...last time I heard, there were no SUV's or coal powered power plants on Mars.....

blessings, Shen

Old 04-05-2007, 11:41 AM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,052 times
Default Power OUt

Well, we lost power at work at 7:30. Lost all the computers that run our processes went down and were told they would be out for most of the day so they shut the plant down. Luckily I had power when I got home but no internet. The branches on the trees (very large pines) are so heavy from the snow that their snapping off and coming down on the power lines. Kinda scary right now. I just talked to my realtor down in tennessee and she told me about the cold temperatures down there right now. I guess we went down to visit at just the right time. Must be global warming. We're having some of the craziest weather I've ever seen.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
It was definitely a tornado north of us. And there was some damage up on the Cumberland plateau.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp...87&nav=menu7_2

It will 19 degrees on Saturday night.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:22 AM

119 posts, read 384,388 times
What is up with this weather? We are heading back down to Oak Ridge this afternoon (I have a job interview tomorrow!! ) and the highs down there are definitely warmer than here in south-central Indiana (38 for a high), but still cold for TN! Yikes!

Old 04-06-2007, 12:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Queen1972, I've lived through 34 years of snowstorms. Give me a break. Thanks for the concern. That was really thoughtless.

For the rest of the people that kept asking for info about moving to Tennessee while we were under tornado warnings, well, don't think I will answer your questions. Ever. In fact, lately, the way I feel, I really don't plan on answering any questions ever again.
Wow! I mean, really, wow. I'm glad I didn't post. Living up here in the Heartland and not knowing there was any bad weather there sure would have made me out to be royal jerk.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:28 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
eastern TN doesn't have near the amount of tornadoes that middle and west do, and even their counts are probably lower than "the heartland of tornado alley," as it is.

In fact, I've lived in east TN all my life and there have never been any major tornadoes within the counties around me. What does seem to happen up here in the mountains, though, is that teenky tornadoes spawn from nothing, tear up hell for half a mile, then disappear back into the folds of the wind.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
We live between two ridges and I think that has made all the difference. When I look to buy, I want to find something to the west of a ridge.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:10 AM

26 posts, read 101,740 times
shenandoah;i just bought a little piece of property there! im not planning to live there yet, but is nice to know of some body as excited as iam for the longest garage sale! we bought around Benton, my husband saw bigger tracts of land around Old Fort. Ilove animals too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee