Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 AM

134 posts, read 680,606 times

Advertisements

Mama Mia!

Middle TN: 37062
I was video taping lighting last night...or early this morning at 12:30am. I am standing on a 1/2 acre of grass in front of my porch, camera angled to the sky with my dog Albert sniffing around.

I can hear the intensity picking up, looking through the lens, calling my dog back now and then.

Albert likes to wander as a high energy Lab mix w/some pit. I look up and Albert is gone. He ran down the hill and I didn't want to chase him, so I kept filming. Then I remembered he stayed out all night once and went to get the car.

It starts raining now, lightly, and I reach for my keys...NOT THERE! I look everywhere...no keys. The neighborhood kids came over to see something I bought at the pet store. They were only in the house for five minutes. Could one of them picked up the keys as a joke...a joke in the mind of a 10yo?

UGH!!! I look for an hour and finally take a flashlight covering my tracks and see them next to my car on the ground. Just them, Albert comes back, dripping, huffing and puffing like he had the time of his life.

So now I head to bed...and the sky opens up. In So Cal we might experience this MAYBE once every few years, but not for more than an hour. This was an all-nighter...CRAZY lightning.

Am I official now? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 AM

209 posts, read 417,267 times
Pocketplayer, the storms were the one thing I missed after we moved to CA. (when we moved there in the middle of a drought, I actually got tired of seeing nothing but blue sky, no clouds and blazing sun!)

Get used to them, because they roll through regularly in the spring & summer!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 AM

275 posts, read 1,124,846 times
The one thing I have learned since I have been here (almost 2 years now) is that if you don't like the weather, just wait, it will change shortly!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 AM

134 posts, read 680,606 times
I actually got tired of seeing nothing but blue sky, no clouds and blazing sun!

AMEN...I felt the exact same way. No those not from So Cal...they think we are crazy...and if I lived in Wisconsin or Chicago, maybe I would feel the same, but in TN, the extreme just isn't so.

The weather does change a lot and I learned the hard way keeping my dog outside when I went to work. Beautiful clear sky...by the time I got to work and a few hours into my shift it was not only pouring rain, but a tornado was on its way.

...and loving it!

The one thing I DO NOT GET is Hickman Co off Hwy 7. Those roads go narrow almost instantly into dirt. With NO rain the roads went into a creek. That creek HAS to be a river now. HOW in the world do people get in and out? INSANE!!!

This fascinates me...these people that is...who are they? Do you have to own a jacked up 4 x 4 to survive?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Yeah, most of them probably have a truck big enough to get through a real creek.

But in reality most of them could probably survive for a couple months without leaving their houses.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:37 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdiver View Post
Pocketplayer, the storms were the one thing I missed after we moved to CA. (when we moved there in the middle of a drought, I actually got tired of seeing nothing but blue sky, no clouds and blazing sun!)

Get used to them, because they roll through regularly in the spring & summer!
I am one of those people who miss thunderstorms. I grew up in the south, but have been in California for over 30 years. I'm in the Sacramento area where thunderstorms are rare. We see little or no rain from May through October. I can't wait to retire in Tennessee!

Old 05-01-2009, 02:43 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Thumbs down Tornado South of Murfreesboro .?

Weather service was reporting another tornado touchdown with damage , south of Murfreesboro (?) . Sure looked like heavy rain for this area , this afternoon , early evening . ??

Old 05-01-2009, 03:24 PM

43 posts, read 230,103 times
I'm from So Cal too and my co-workers get a kick out of me, because I'm always oohing and awwing over the storms when they come... practically with my nose up against the glass to watch. Never a dull weather moment in Middle TN!

Old 05-01-2009, 04:22 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT View Post
Weather service was reporting another tornado touchdown with damage , south of Murfreesboro (?) . Sure looked like heavy rain for this area , this afternoon , early evening . ??
There was a tronado warning in Lincoln County that resulted in monor damage, but NOTHING like our F4 here in Murfreesboro on Good Friday.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:30 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
And then that wonderful just-washed-clean smell afterward! Love it. I, too, grew up in Southern California. I love the storms as long as they don't get carried away. We're about to get hit here in Knoxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee