Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:26 PM

286 posts, read 1,228,254 times

Advertisements

Great advice! A few more:

*pls. don't complain about the number of country music stations on the radio
*be careful of backroad school buses - they have no fear and will run you right off the road
*a "holler" is a road that takes you back to someone's house
*carry rocks or sticks with you if walking or biking down a country road. There are typically 4-6 dogs at each house that you pass and they will most likely run out to greet you (and it's not always friendly!)
*a "dogleg" is a kind of turn that you can make and not a real dog's leg
*disregard any major appliances on someone's porch and don't make fun of it
*if someone if flashing their headlights at you during broad daylight, they're trying to tell you that there's a cop ahead on the road, not that you need to turn your brights off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times
Hi,
I am very new to this, and, if all goes well, will be new to Tennessee. We are going into escrow on a home in Lascassas. Of course there are many questions. We still live in California (sorry another Californian moving into your state), but would like to get our ducks in a row prior to coming here, for good. Insurance agent? What kind of insurance do you handle. If anyone can tell me about the tornadoes....Any information would be appreciated.
thanks.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 12,893 times
Default How's West Tennessee?

My husband and I have wanted to move to TN for many years now. We've also been looking at other places in the south. I just want to find a nice bunch of land (say, 30 or more acres) to have a few chickens and a cow, plant some veggies to can for the winter, and go fishin' and huntin'. I want to wake up in the morning with a cup of fresh (homemade) coffee and walk my land, listen to nature, and love life. I envision peaceful good neighbors who respect one-another; easy-going, salt-of-the-earth kind of people.No malls, subdivisions or city crap. We have been looking into West Tennessee. Does anybody have any advice on that part of the state? I know lots of people who want to move to east TN, but I don't want to be part of that pilgrimmage. I work in xray and CT (such is the reason for my name) and my husband is in the heating and air conditioning industry.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 PM

9 posts, read 24,672 times
Bonefilmer, I would check the Jackson area. Not right in Jackson but within a 20 or 30 minute drive. Jackson has many medical facilities. Lexington is nice. I would stay away from Memphis.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:17 PM

37,748 posts, read 40,820,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokahi View Post

*a "dogleg" is a kind of turn that you can make and not a real dog's leg.
I just saw this. One time when I was in Memphis (I think) and returning a rental car that was not inside the airport, I was advised to do this as part of directions given to me and I had no idea what it meant.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:46 AM

665 posts, read 1,921,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokahi View Post

*pls. don't complain about the number of country music stations on the radio
*be careful of backroad school buses - they have no fear and will run you right off the road
*a "holler" is a road that takes you back to someone's house
*carry rocks or sticks with you if walking or biking down a country road. There are typically 4-6 dogs at each house that you pass and they will most likely run out to greet you (and it's not always friendly!)
*a "dogleg" is a kind of turn that you can make and not a real dog's leg
*disregard any major appliances on someone's porch and don't make fun of it
*if someone if flashing their headlights at you during broad daylight, they're trying to tell you that there's a cop ahead on the road, not that you need to turn your brights off.
just wanted to say, when I was actually moving into my home I had like 3 loose dogs come running to my homeWhere I came from dogs were never running free peolpe call the police. Well I almost wet myself when I saw them!I soon learned they were my neighbors and fortunatley friendly.I also have gotten use to peolpe talking to me on line I am more use to it now,but it creeped me out at first...I found most people are friendly in TN and not in such a "rat race" which is nice

Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 AM

15 posts, read 85,207 times
Default Gentle side of the mountains

TN Folks - what is meant by the "gentle side of the mountains" down there? Is it actually a real location? Part of the geography in TN?

Old 02-03-2009, 12:03 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,358,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty J View Post
TN Folks - what is meant by the "gentle side of the mountains" down there? Is it actually a real location? Part of the geography in TN?
It is the TN side of the Smokies vs the NC side.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:29 PM

852 posts, read 3,802,551 times
I get (and embrace) diversity, but loose dogs are rude, regardless of the setting. No one should ever feel unsafe or uncomfortable passing through on public roads.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:43 AM

37,748 posts, read 40,820,430 times
It rains a lot here. People looking to move always ask about snow and never ask about rain. Consider that rain and below freezing temps mean ice in the winter. Especially consider that when you are looking to live in a mountainous curvy road area. Ask about flooding history in your area, too, before you move.

It's humid here. If you are coming from points North and West you may not have had to deal much with mold/mildew before.

Visit the State Parks. So far, they're free, unlike other states. You don't have to go to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park to see deer and waterfalls and mountains, camp, hike, fish, boat or have a picnic. Plus, they often host some type of outdoor learning event or celebration.

This state is rich in history and there are plenty of museums and living history events here and in the surrounding states and many are FREE events. Besides the State Parks, this has been one of the most pleasant surprises about moving here. It's not JUST the Civil War, either. There is no good reason for you or your kids to be stupid about American history if you live in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee