Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:32 AM

5 posts, read 11,057 times

Advertisements

WE have lived here for a year and our clothes are becoming more orange and we just don't know why I think it is called Orange fever or something like that. Is there a cure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 05:30 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,345,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefilmer View Post
My husband and I have wanted to move to TN for many years now. We've also been looking at other places in the south. I just want to find a nice bunch of land (say, 30 or more acres) to have a few chickens and a cow, plant some veggies to can for the winter, and go fishin' and huntin'. I want to wake up in the morning with a cup of fresh (homemade) coffee and walk my land, listen to nature, and love life. I envision peaceful good neighbors who respect one-another; easy-going, salt-of-the-earth kind of people.No malls, subdivisions or city crap. We have been looking into West Tennessee. Does anybody have any advice on that part of the state? I know lots of people who want to move to east TN, but I don't want to be part of that pilgrimmage. I work in xray and CT (such is the reason for my name) and my husband is in the heating and air conditioning industry.
northwest tn is a great place to accomplish the goals you have listed. land is available both near the rivers and the lake, as well as away from them. hunting and fishing are expected in this area. all lakes are freshwater. crappie, both small/large mouth bass/shellcrackers, perch, brimm, various catfish, including the popular channel, sauger, pike, garr, stripped bass, and others. wild turkey, deer, beaver, fox, cyotes, duck, quail, dove, squirrel, turtle, geese, and other fowl are available for hunting. the people are good, decent peaceable and law-abiding people. most identify w/ a church, and most identify w/ their communities. country and state are very important themes in this area. the lake area and paris, tn is a haven for some rather wealthy people. skiing, boating, and picnicing are very much pasttimes. lots of golf and golf communities. be prepared. arts, crafts, and antiques are big in the area. the lay of the land is comprised of gently rolling hills to bottomland to hollows, vales, and thickets. both hard and softwood forests. national wildlife areas throughtout. i would not hesitate to recommend this area of tn. contact the paris-henry county chamber of commerce for additional information. would be glad to give additional information on other areas of tn. good luck to you on your search, and hopefully, welcome to tn.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:45 PM

10 posts, read 18,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNNative View Post
Just thought I'd list a few things that would be helpful to new residents to Tennessee that have/are moving here from other parts of the country.
Jump in and add your Newcomers Advice (please be nice)....

1. Please don't stereotype. Tennesseans may speak with a southern accent, but MOST of us ARE educated.....and have all our teeth.

2. Country music "stars" are noticed here, but many go to the mall or out to eat just like everyone else. Locals usually leave them alone and go about our business. In past years, I've stood in line at a theater with one of the Oak Ridge Boys, walked beside Ricky Skaggs in the mall, sat beside Marty Stuart in a restaurant, stood behind the late Grandpa Jones in line at a grocery, and a few years back talked with Ronnie Brooks and Kix Brooks in the airport waiting area (back when you could still go to the gate with passengers). They ARE country music stars, but I think most of them just try to live quiet lives here. (Thankfully, the "paparrazi" is too busy following Pacman right now.)

3. Please don't panic if you see an approaching funeral procession on any Tennessee highway (except interstates) and EVERY car on the opposite side of the road pulls to the shoulder, or stops while the funeral procession passes. All cars behind the funeral procession follow a good distance behind. It's simply called respect.

4. If you are not a fan of football on some level, you might want to learn to be.

5. You might want to make sure you have a least something that's ORANGE in your wardrobe.
I am an Oklahoma native but have been in TN for 19 yrs. I am still a die hard Sooner girl and I can tell you the one bad thing about being a Sooner fan here so close to the Alabama border is everyone thinks it's Roll Tide colors

Football fever here is very contagious and a lot of fun no matter who your team is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee