Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times

Advertisements

Well going on my 11 year here....think I can drop the "half backer" title yet?? hehehehhe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 09:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Well going on my 11 year here....think I can drop the "half backer" title yet?? hehehehhe
Yes, you can. Not because you have been here for 11 years. Because you are sweet and kind and would do anything for anyone. Sometimes, MBMouse, we are just BORN southerners, wherever we are geographically born.

And then we come here, to our home.

Now, these grits with garlic? I've never heard of this. I feel that cheese is a must, but I have never heard of garlic. Then again, I feel that all great food can only be improved by garlic.

Now, about that lady that wants to know if she can make instant grits...

Can she?

Old 04-20-2007, 10:16 PM

117 posts, read 488,401 times
I think I may have to visit a cracker barrel for some southern food and maybe grits . I have to figure out where the closest one is, because they closed the one that was like 10 miles from me, ugh!! Are grits crunchy?

Old 04-20-2007, 10:37 PM

No. They are not crunchy, at all. Definitely soft, I guess like oatmeal, but so not. I mean, they taste so much better!

Old 04-21-2007, 02:40 AM

15 posts, read 54,933 times
I've also heard the consistency of grits compared to cream of wheat, and I've known a lot of folks who eat them like some of these other hot cereals, with sugar and butter.
The first time my raised-in-Illinois wife ever tried grits, I figured that might be a good way for her to try them, so I suggested it. I failed to notice, however, that she put DIET SWEETENER into them! She made it through a bite or two, then politely said that she didn't care for them very much. I tried a bite of them and almost got lockjaw!
Assuming you don't do that, you'll probably like them any way you have them!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCatcher View Post
I've also heard the consistency of grits compared to cream of wheat, and I've known a lot of folks who eat them like some of these other hot cereals, with sugar and butter.
The first time my raised-in-Illinois wife ever tried grits, I figured that might be a good way for her to try them, so I suggested it. I failed to notice, however, that she put DIET SWEETENER into them! She made it through a bite or two, then politely said that she didn't care for them very much. I tried a bite of them and almost got lockjaw!
Assuming you don't do that, you'll probably like them any way you have them!
Too funny!

Yes, they are definitely closer to Cream of Wheat. And cream of wheat is better than oatmeal. But grits are the best.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:18 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
...To paraphrase the witness Joe Peshy was questioning on the stand in "My Cousin Vinny"......" No self respecting southern makes instant grits".......hehehehe

For all that want to give it a real try: Get a small (they go a long way) box of grits (not instant) make the grits on the stove top according to the directions on the box for however many people you are serving. Then, when that is done, to the pot, add a few teaspoons of garlic, a 1/2 a cup or more of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, (you have to add enough cheese to make sure it is thick at this point, if it is not think, let it boil a few more minutes until it is, kinda like you do with rice) salt and pepper. Dump it all in a square metal or Pyrex baking pan and put it in the oven and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until the top gets nice and brown. Let cool. Cut with a knife into squares and serve as a side dish with any meat and veggie.
enjoy!

Old 04-22-2007, 03:09 PM

64 posts, read 243,189 times
Default Grits

I know grits are corn based. But do restaurants add wheat flour to them? I can't eat wheat.

How about catfish in cornmeal - do they usually add wheat flour to the batter?

Can't wait to try some southern dishes. I put a deposit on an apt. in JC this week!

Old 04-22-2007, 06:15 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleI View Post
I know grits are corn based. But do restaurants add wheat flour to them? I can't eat wheat.

How about catfish in cornmeal - do they usually add wheat flour to the batter?
No, but the cornmeal might very well be mixed on the same board where flour is mixed for other things. There could be slight trace of wheat flour. You might want to ask when eating in a restaurant. Most catfish restaurants that I've eaten at are mom-and-pop operations. They're usually very friendly.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:01 AM

64 posts, read 243,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
No, but the cornmeal might very well be mixed on the same board where flour is mixed for other things. There could be slight trace of wheat flour. You might want to ask when eating in a restaurant. Most catfish restaurants that I've eaten at are mom-and-pop operations. They're usually very friendly.
A little is OK - it's nearly impossible to avoid completely at restaurants. Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee